What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

ByRd

First Grade
Yeh decent crowd at ANZ today, Sharks had about 50 fans there. Next Monday with both teams winning 3/4 to start the year and being on a public holiday, the minimum should be about 30k, lets hope the NRL promote it lolll

Radioactive Man

Juniors
what's the new capacity of the ground? i'm thinking 20k is the capacity :?

5k could've fit in there somewhere me thinks:oops:

The new capacity is 22 K i think ? Also after seeing it on telly, yeah there were a lot of empty seats. Dont know where everyone was maybe it was our from that kept them away.

Should be more next week.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bull-f**king-sh*t.

There were 15,000 dogs fans, 520 Sharks fans. Tops. The only noise was coming from the d!ckheads in the corner and for a group with a supposed membership of 2-300 (if I recall correctly), it was a piss-poor turnout.

15k is a little bit of a let-down but the same fixture last year only brought in 9,000 from memory, so that's a plus I suppose.

ByRd

First Grade
And realistically 10 000 dogs fans...
haha yep, how about you Sharks fans actually get off your a$$es and travel to away sydney games. Besides that one group (and good on them) there are barely any Sharks fans anywhere to be seen.

big country

Juniors
No away support, no build up and only around 5,000 under capacity.. not bad (not great either). Compared to the Roosters vs Eels game which was on a Friday night in a stadium that can fit tens of thousands more supporters and would have had much greater away support.

12,000 was alright for us. I think your attention should be on the NSW clubs. If they can't get more than 10,000 home supporters to a game.. then why bother?

i take some of your point BUT no other sydney team has been in the last 3 grand finals and boasts the claibre of players of Melb.....you have been a highly successful team since inception 12 odd years ago - you have had 12 years to build a supporter base, you have only been beaten at the 'graveyard' a few times in the last 4 years your supporters can safely turn up in the knowledge that you will win - you are a giant in the premiership - how much better could/should it get than that? but still they dont come?

The Tank

Bench
Never been to Olympic Park? It's a hole. Better crowd than I expected for the Storm - I didn't think they'd break 10k.

TomBowler

Juniors
Considering the quality of stadiums in Melbourne it doesn't take much to see why their aren't a huge number of people willing to go to see Storm games at Olympic Park. Would be the worst venue in Melbourne. I wouldn't even call it a venue.

You can't expect to head down with your girlfriend and a few mates to watch a game. There is no way they'd come just for a look. The new stadium should make a huge difference. Being close to the action, unlike the Dome.

I live in Melbourne but do not barrack for the Storm. I went to a game last year at Telstra Dome, and the only other 2 games I have been to over the last 3 years are the 2 games against the Rabbitohs, who I support. I will definitely go to more when the new stadium is built.

Chook Norris

First Grade
So, so far for Round 4 we have..
Friday
Broncos vs. Dragons @ Suncorp: 42,435
Roosters vs. Eels@ SFS: 11,231
Saturday
Panthers vs. Tigers @ CUA: 15,813
Storm vs. Titans @ Olympic Park: 11,698
Sunday
Warriors vs. Rabbitohs @ Mt Smart: 19,386
Knights vs. Sea Eagles @ Energy Australia: 15,324