What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Thread 2009

Fraser

A massive hole with one of the fastest growing business districts in the state, the fastest growing area in the state and just a short express train ride on the same line from Lang Park. Capable of drawing support from the Western Suburbs and the Darling Downs. A second Brisbane side with a unique identity. It's ticking all the boxes.

How much time have you spent out there exactly I wonder?

too long

% in might look big if it goes from 150,000 bogans to 170,000

Hervey Bay, Gladstone and a couple of other places near the coast are the fastest growing in QLD. Inner City Brisbane has had a lot more people move there than the 'swich. No one in Brisbane would want to associate themselves with an Ipswich team ffs.

no player would want to set foot in Ipswich. I'd prefer Logan, there producing more juniors and only 30min from Brisbane and Gold Coast CBD. Bring in the Souths Logan Magpies.

t-ba

Post Whore
The correct answer is Springfield and surrounds for the fastest growing area in Queensland.

The great thing is players don't have to live here. Petero had no problems commuting from Redcliffe when he was at the Broncos, nor did Alfie in the opposite direction when he lived in Ippy. It's not like Redfern, Belmore or Penrith are paradise but players will train there.

Logan is sandwiched between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. Not a good choice.

The club would base itself in Ipswich and play in Lang Park. People in Sydney have no trouble identifying with supporting teams from dive suburbs. The club needs a unique geographical base for its core support and it can pick up other fans in the city.

I really don't understand the snobbery of some Brisbanites. They'll voraciously defend the city when people call it a redneck wonderland but dump viciously on places like Cabo, Logan and Ipswich.

t-ba

Post Whore
Springfield is just a featureless track of Estate houses. No real crime, but no charm whatsoever. The perfect place to raise meatsacks for office work and the trades.

ByRd

First Grade
Just got back from Brookie, was a good crowd, especially for a Monday night (imagine it was on a sunday afternoon), both sets of fans were loud especially on the hill, good game.

Fraser

The correct answer is Springfield and surrounds for the fastest growing area in Queensland.

The great thing is players don't have to live here. Petero had no problems commuting from Redcliffe when he was at the Broncos, nor did Alfie in the opposite direction when he lived in Ippy. It's not like Redfern, Belmore or Penrith are paradise but players will train there.

Logan is sandwiched between the Gold Coast and Brisbane. Not a good choice.

The club would base itself in Ipswich and play in Lang Park. People in Sydney have no trouble identifying with supporting teams from dive suburbs. The club needs a unique geographical base for its core support and it can pick up other fans in the city.

I really don't understand the snobbery of some Brisbanites. They'll voraciously defend the city when people call it a redneck wonderland but dump viciously on places like Cabo, Logan and Ipswich.

Because they're sh*tholes :?

Not a bad argument though

I think a 2nd team in the heart of Brisbane deserves a team more. Bring back Valleys!

Ryan

Juniors
Just got back from Brookie, was a good crowd, especially for a Monday night (imagine it was on a sunday afternoon), both sets of fans were loud especially on the hill, good game.

I'm assuming you found The Eagles supporters fairly good sports mate? We always try and have as much fun with the opposition fans as we do with each other.

As bad as the place is construction wise, we make up for in atmosphere.

I'm a regular season ticket holder, and won't be giving up my season ticket any day soon.

Brutus

Referee

Is 'Cabo', Caboolture?

Brisbane should base the side out of Inala or maybe even build a stadium at Goodna.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely any new Q'land team has to play out of Suncorp or what's the point? Why not just call them Sth Brisbane or Nth Brisbane or even SQ but still playing out of Suncorp. No way the Q'land Govt is going to build another $200mill RL stadium and it's ridiculous Suncorp sits empty every other week. Calling them Ipswich or any other suburb/ town is just going to limit the fanbase. Make it more generic and cast the net wider.

dragondad

First Grade
R18 Predictions:

Souths v Penrith - 11k
Newcastle v Canberra - 14k
Warriors v Bulldogs - 16k
Dragons v Manly 15k
Titans v Eels - 17k

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Souths v Penrith - 9k
Newcastle v Canberra - 13k
Warriors v Bulldogs - 13k
Dragons v Manly - 13k
Titans v Eels - 16k

Terrible weekend of crowds coming up, with some pisspoor weather to boot.

ouwet

Bench
I'm assuming you found The Eagles supporters fairly good sports mate? We always try and have as much fun with the opposition fans as we do with each other.

As bad as the place is construction wise, we make up for in atmosphere.

I'm a regular season ticket holder, and won't be giving up my season ticket any day soon.

Really? Behind Newcastle i think they're the worst supporters in the league for verbally abusing people. IMHO.

Last edited:

Connie Kreski

Juniors
Souths v Penrith - 9k
Newcastle v Canberra - 13k
Warriors v Bulldogs - 13k
Dragons v Manly - 13k
Titans v Eels - 16k

Terrible weekend of crowds coming up, with some pisspoor weather to boot.

God I hope we don't get these sort of numbers, we really should be doing much much better than this.

dragondad

First Grade
Tonight forecast is Partly Cloudy.
Tomorrow is fine in Newcastle.
Sunday is Morning Shower then fine in Wollongong.
Sunday is cold and wet in Auckland
Monday is fine on Gold Coast.

Not many excuses there.

dgsfan

Juniors
People will find some, don't worry. Only one game in QLD this week, so the average is certain to be the lowest of the season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Tonight forecast is Partly Cloudy.
Tomorrow is fine in Newcastle.
Sunday is Morning Shower then fine in Wollongong.
Sunday is cold and wet in Auckland
Monday is fine on Gold Coast.

Not many excuses there.
Except for:
- Souths are travelling sh*t, missing Wing/Crocker. Penrith are missing everyone and few of their fans travel. AND it's at ANZ.
- Most Novos are out at the pub on Saturday night, not the footy. And most Canberrans avoid Newcastle like the plague. And the capacity of the ground is reduced.
- Wollongong is cold at the best of times, with a morning shower it'll be freezing. Not to mention all the Origin stars missing.
- Cold & wet in Auckland = sh*t crowd. Simple as that. Plus their form is in the bin at the moment - therefore there's little encouragement for the fans.
- The QLD public wouldn't know there's a game Monday night with Origin being on Wednesday, all the build up would be Maroons.

Latest posts