What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Curtis Sironen

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
Geez I had hopes for this bloke, especially after one of his early games (could have been his debut down in Canberra) but he seems to have stagnated. Full of bad mistakes. Would he be getting the latitude he is at the moment if his name was Smith, Jones etc ??

He seemed to have great hands when he started now he drops it habitually, sets up no one etc. Does not offer as much as a proper running backrower imo at the moment.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Geez I had hopes for this bloke, especially after one of his early games (could have been his debut down in Canberra) but he seems to have stagnated. Full of bad mistakes. Would he be getting the latitude he is at the moment if his name was Smith, Jones etc ??

He seemed to have great hands when he started now he drops it habitually, sets up no one etc. Does not offer as much as a proper running backrower imo at the moment.

Pete, I hope I am wrong with this analogy but I started to think about father and sons who have played first grade where the sons just haven't reached the heights of their old man.

There are probably just as many examples where the kids have exceeded their dads too but this list got me thinking;

Bob - Scott Fulton
Ted - Bryson Goodwin
Noel - Kane Cleal
John - Dane Dorahy
Bob - Darren McCaerthy
Rod - Joel Reddy
Craig - Dean Young

I really hope Curtis can make a name for himself in his own right. He is still young and has time on his side. I just hear the name Sironen and expect the ability of Paul to be immediately reflected in Curtis. Might still happen but he is struggling at the moment.

I don't know what others think but I am of the opinion Curtis doesn't know what position he needs or wants to be in. He is obviously being groomed as a forward but he thinks or wants to be a 5/8.

Just my thoughts.....

Tiger05

First Grade
I think he deserves more time. He was denting the line against Penrith and off-loading but he has some mistakes in him.

I think he will come good.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think he's been playing as a centre the last 2 games anyway.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sironen you can expect, being a forward.

Sadly, his lateral speed is not much different to Lawrence

Radical Rat

Juniors
I thought Siro looked dangerous at times. Dented the line and got some good offloads away. We just have to get him some more ball to get him involved in the game more.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think he cops more flak because of his last name.

If he was Curtis Smith then we would be far more inclined to giving him time to develop as he has potential with what we have seen with his ball playing skills.

Its because we expect him to be as good as his old man in the back row that we have become dissapointed. He has alot of hype to live up to and he isn't quite there yet.

gronkathon

First Grade
I think leave Sirro in the backrower slot, have Simona at left centre when back but until then Akouala and Fine in the centres for mine or Taufaka to right wing, Nofa to left centre and Fine to right centre.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Played his whole junior career at 5/8

Isnt tough enough and has no idea how to play second row at first grade. It's a shame both Fulton and Paterson are injured, we have little other options. Can't imagine akauloa, Lovett, santi or farlow being any worse though.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
nailed it Vic.

It's purely his size (unsurprisingly) that has forced him into the back row.

You take his size away and we are essentially trying to make, for example, James Maloney play as a second rower.

Siro has the frame and strength, but he doesn't have the skillset or the mentality of a back rower.

As I said a week or so ago, he's a five-eighth trapped in a forwards body, he's an old fashioned Lock, which in todays game, makes him more of a centre than a back rower.

His lack of speed means he is invariably chucked up front with the big pigs

He's a kid who is so big and so skillful that through his junior footy could probably have been picked in any position on the field and dominated. Ask 5 coaches how they think they can best utilise him and you probably get 5 different answers. He's still a young kid and has plenty of time to grow into a gun back rower. I feel as though he may have been fast tracked into first grade because of his last name. I certainly feel as though he's worth hanging on to. Letting him go would be a bigger balls up that letting go of Fifita.

TYGA

Juniors
Keep the faith has all the skills and athletic ability. Just lacks mongrel however, bloodlines should suggest this in in the blood. Needs a good pasting from the coach to wake up or maybe Farah not sure Potter actually does any coaching.

Keep the faith has all the skills and athletic ability. Just lacks mongrel however, bloodlines should suggest this in in the blood. Needs a good pasting from the coach to wake up or maybe Farah not sure Potter actually does any coaching.

I think you are spot on here,he needs a rocket up him ,for all the hype i have yet to see him deliver or dominate a game.As mentioned in a before hand post his name appears to gave given him selection in FG before others in the lower grades or on the bench.:shock:

b.bear

Juniors
I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about. He needs to go back to nsw cup, and get some game because he does not deserve his place in the team at the moment and actually weakens it.

b.bear

Juniors
I think leave Sirro in the backrower slot, have Simona at left centre when back but until then Akouala and Fine in the centres for mine or Taufaka to right wing, Nofa to left centre and Fine to right centre.

Fine has to get a run soon....

Siro back to Reggies ASAP. Has been horrorawful since coming back from injury.
Rapidly losing hope. His youth and physique the only things giving me any hope.

DanOz

Juniors
Overrated, full of mistakes, offers little. If his last name was Smith he would never play grade.

Latest posts