What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutters squad 2014

BrissyRedV

Bench
Why does Creagh require this so called mongrel to play prop? When he was playing up the middle he did what was required of a front rower. He made good metres on his caries, managed the occasional effective offload, managed to get between defenders to get to the ground quicker and play the ball quickly and he is rock solid in defence. Think of our premiership in 2010. The so called "mongrel" came from our lock in Jezza and one of our wide running backrowers in Scott.

bottle

Coach
With you BRV, I think we do need 'm', but Benny isn't the man for that. He does his job and does it well, leave the niggle to someone else.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I also believe his captaincy left a lot to be desired last year. But as he was thrust into the deep end without the likes of Young & Hornby (brains trust), and Cooper for most of the season. He really didn't have too much exp as a support network to help him out. I'm not going to judge the bloke with 1 season as Capt. with what would seem sub par structures around him.

There was one game last year where he was ubsolutely tremendous (newy@newy). He led from the front all night, and got stuck right into Scott and Jeza, laying the platform for arguably our best win last season, although that win over souffs was quiet sweet :D If we see more of that, rather than the mindless and embarrassing dribbling at the refs after each penalty conceded, then he will go along way as captain.

His Captaincy can not be judged on what was just a plan poor season all round last year. On the plus side, we conceded the lowest amount of penalties last season which says something about our discipline.

Gazzaw

Juniors
Why does Creagh require this so called mongrel to play prop? When he was playing up the middle he did what was required of a front rower. He made good metres on his caries, managed the occasional effective offload, managed to get between defenders to get to the ground quicker and play the ball quickly and he is rock solid in defence. Think of our premiership in 2010. The so called "mongrel" came from our lock in Jezza and one of our wide running backrowers in Scott.

I just don't think he is a front rower. He is too smart for that. Much better on the edges than in the guts

tumbidragon

First Grade
Agreed. My only criticism was the way in which he approached the refs last season. At some of the games, myself and others around me would just cringe while he would just stand there with mouth open @ the refs without uttering a constructive argument. This was down to his inexperience imo. He also went very quiet in the huddle after we conceded points on a number of occasions throughout the season instead of barking at the lads. Also an experience issue.

BennyV

Referee
I just don't think he is a front rower. He is too smart for that. Much better on the edges than in the guts

Disagree, I think we need a bit of brains in the middle. Creagh is a terrific defender, hard runner and always gives quick play-the-balls. Given the youngsters in Stockwell, deBelin, Groat etc in our front row stocks, we need him with them to lead and teach

Dragons
Dugan
Morris
Beale
Runciman
Nightingale
Widdop
Williams
Merrin
Frizell
Thompson
Stockwell
Rein
Creagh

De Belin
Cooper
Hunt
Witt

Cutters
Quinlan
Glymin
Green
Farrel
Mata'utia
Stanley
Drinkwater
Harrison
Ah Mah
Mathews
Groat
Garvey
Wakeman

Ailaomai
George Lolo
Bird
Cranston
sorry possm old mate but farrell groat and harrison in that fg squad for mine!

Cutters signings - Jake Leary (Tweed Heads) Brad Lees (Tweed Heads)

Tyrone Cranston, Benson Tupou and Shannon Wakeman are the only guys I am aware of who have returned from last year.

hardbaby

Coach

Hello, Hunt and De Belin were able to name every member of One Direction on fox the other night. I bet Benny couldn't do that. Sadly One Direction don't have mongrel.

Godz Illa

Coach
Agreed. My only criticism was the way in which he approached the refs last season. At some of the games, myself and others around me would just cringe while he would just stand there with mouth open @ the refs without uttering a constructive argument. This was down to his inexperience imo. He also went very quiet in the huddle after we conceded points on a number of occasions throughout the season instead of barking at the lads. Also an experience issue.
Would you prefer a Michael Ennis style captain - the kind who literally loses semi finals for his team due to his petulant badgering of the referee?
I feel criticisim of Creagh's captaincy vague at best and unfair at worst. People seem to overlook the fact that he was virtually a lone ranger out there - his leadership group comprised of Cooper (who missed 90% of the season), Fien (who was struggling for form), Weyman (out of form and injured), Soward (out of form and reportedly a DE-stabilising influence) and two wingers. Being a first year captain is hard enough, but doing it without much help is tougher.
That aside he led by example in things like the pre-game warm ups, and his work off the field (encouraging teammates to enrol in uni) are signs of a true leader

Would you prefer a Michael Ennis style captain - the kind who literally loses semi finals for his team due to his petulant badgering of the referee?
I feel criticisim of Creagh's captaincy vague at best and unfair at worst. People seem to overlook the fact that he was virtually a lone ranger out there - his leadership group comprised of Cooper (who missed 90% of the season), Fien (who was struggling for form), Weyman (out of form and injured), Soward (out of form and reportedly a DE-stabilising influence) and two wingers. Being a first year captain is hard enough, but doing it without much help is tougher.
That aside he led by example in things like the pre-game warm ups, and his work off the field (encouraging teammates to enrol in uni) are signs of a true leader

Hear hear..
If being a serial pest is what is required of a captain these days, then Benny Creagh simply doesn't qualify - thank goodness. Those who are playing that game (Ennis, Lyon are 2 that come to mind straight away) are probably acting on coaches instructions (note the Hasler connection).
Captaincy is a thankless job when the team is under-performing, but full marks to Benny for taking it on under difficult circumstances.

Kuro

Juniors

Very true! I believe Creagh does have the qualities of a good Captain - you can see it in his work ethic. The job will be that much easier this year with the likes of Widdop, Dugan, and Joel Thompson in the team as well if they can step up to the role. Also hoping Merrin can be someone who can fire up and inspire the team when we need it.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Very true! I believe Creagh does have the qualities of a good Captain - you can see it in his work ethic. The job will be that much easier this year with the likes of Widdop, Dugan, and Joel Thompson in the team as well if they can step up to the role. Also hoping Merrin can be someone who can fire up and inspire the team when we need it.

I think I would have respected Creagh more as a captain had he stood up to Hodges in SOO instead of running away

grouch

First Grade
I eternally respect Creagh for standing up as our club's player of the year (his THIRD) in 2010 when we broke a 31 year premiership drought. Stupid SOO nonsense has zero bearing for Dragons fans

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
You want your captain to stand up for himself and his team mates. Seeing him run away really cut me up. I just haven't been the same since :(

Latest posts