What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D day for Parramatta

Name three players Parramatta must keep if they are to make the playoffs.

• Total voters

mxlegend99

Referee
The breached the salary cap to add Keiran Foran and Michael Jennings. They get to keep them by getting rid of lesser players and blokes they f**ked up in paying overs for to begin with.

Watmough was never worth what they paid. Morgan wasn't wanted. Peats is a solid player but easily replaceable.

The only real punishment they have received is the penalty of points for games where they weren't cap compliant. If Eels had come clean in Round 1 or 2 they could have kept an illegally assembled squad, and probably been able to play for points almost immediately just through letting Watmough and Morgan go. Not weakening their roster for the year in the slightest.

The next club just needs to fess up earlier in the season, take their punishment and become cap compliant by cutting unnecessary players. Then benefit with their illegally assembled team.

mave

Coach
The breached the salary cap to add Keiran Foran and Michael Jennings. They get to keep them by getting rid of lesser players and blokes they f**ked up in paying overs for to begin with.

Watmough was never worth what they paid. Morgan wasn't wanted. Peats is a solid player but easily replaceable.

The only real punishment they have received is the penalty of points for games where they weren't cap compliant. If Eels had come clean in Round 1 or 2 they could have kept an illegally assembled squad, and probably been able to play for points almost immediately just through letting Watmough and Morgan go. Not weakening their roster for the year in the slightest.

The next club just needs to fess up earlier in the season, take their punishment and become cap compliant by cutting unnecessary players. Then benefit with their illegally assembled team.

The new blueprint for NRL success.....

This sport becomes more like WWE every day

yobbo84

Coach

Well said :clap:

Nice Beaver

First Grade
i expect you to have a sudden about face on the salary cap very soon

:lol:

Firstly, you are sitting in your basement right now on hands and knees praying it's Manly that the rumours are about. Nothing else you have to go on that's for sure.

Secondly, if it was us and we cheated, then we get punished for it and so be it. You cheat and get caught, you do the time for the crime.

betcats

Referee
Imagine if Parra make the finals and the dogs don't. The Dogs lost to Parramattas cheat team twice this year.

Bazal

Post Whore
Isn't there a chance Peats could return next year and only see out the season with the Titans?

He's off contract so I can't see why we couldn't loan him out for the rest of 2016 at the same time we announce he's re-signed for 2017 onwards, but there are two things that seem to make it unlikely for mine

1-Why would the Titans agree to that? They still won't win the competition this year, and they still need to find a hooker for next

2-We can't even do a few dodgy TPA deals right like the rest of the NRL can, how on Earth are we going to be smart enough to think of and execute that?

Last Week

Bench
Is it fair the the dodgy third party deals of 2013, 2014 and 2015 are being added to the 2016 cap?

As far as I've read, Parra were under the cap for 2016, but it's gone over because the NRL have added the dodgy '13, '14 and '15 third party deals to 2016. Also keeping in mind, some of those deals are apparently going to be challenged as not dodgy at all.

Bazal

Post Whore
Is it fair the the dodgy third party deals of 2013, 2014 and 2015 are being added to the 2016 cap?

As far as I've read, Parra were under the cap for 2016, but it's gone over because the NRL have added the dodgy '13, '14 and '15 third party deals to 2016. Also keeping in mind, some of those deals are apparently going to be challenged as not dodgy at all.

This is why I sincerely hope we don't make a huge error in letting Peats go. We will not make the 8 without him, IMO. So 2016 is a write off.... UNLESS Peats isn't in the clubs long term plans, letting him go makes zero sense. It's just a knee jerk reaction to try and salvage something for the 2016 season. Again, IMO

Snappy

Coach

As far as I've read, Parra were under the cap for 2016, but it's gone over because the NRL have added the dodgy '13, '14 and '15 third party deals to 2016. .

I've still only ever heard this theory from Parra fans on here. Can someone direct me to something credible where I can read this for myself ?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Yea where's the source on the TPA rollover? The rorting was $3mil, if all the TPAs got rolled in, what's the other 2.3mil? Cash?

Last Week

Bench
I've still only ever heard this theory from Parra fans on here. Can someone direct me to something credible where I can read this for myself ?

I don't think you're going to find anything official. After all, the only hard facts relevant at this stage that we know is the NRL?s original release, the injunction that previously stood and that Ryan Morgan is in Melbourne for the year.

Snappy

Coach
'Smoking gun' email reveals warning to Parramatta Eels officials about third-party deals
Date
May 8, 2016
Chris Barrett
Sports Writer

It's been called the smoking gun in the NRL's investigation into Parramatta and its contents can finally be revealed.

An email, sent by the club's then chief financial officer Ed Farish to chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous and football manager Daniel Anderson last July, warns them of "exposures" around third-party deals for Anthony Watmough. The email also noted Farish's suspicions of a system of inflated invoices with club suppliers, and advises them to self-report to the NRL.

Obtained by Fairfax Media from a source close to the investigation, the details of Farish's urgent note to senior officials played a major part in the heavy sanctions handed down last week by the NRL.
Advertisement

Farish explains his concerns about Watmough's deals with ScoreCube – whose parent company Black Citrus had been signed by former CEO Scott Seward to a $200,000-plus contract to provide digital services to Parramatta – and PJ Promotions, a company owned by the father of public relations executive Tracy McKelligott, who was a club consultant from 2013 until last July.
The officials' failure to disclose the deals when they were made aware of them, along with damning transcripts of third-party agreements being discussed at recorded board meetings, were central to the investigators' case against the club and the five current officials implicated.

"Gents, on Monday the 20th of July [NRL salary cap auditor] Jamie L'Oste Brown is due to conduct a mid-year salary cap review," Farish wrote in the email, dated July 10, 2015, with the subject line 'TPA'.
"We've identified the following exposures around potential deals on TPAs. I'm anxious to ensure that everyone is on the same page in dealing with these. If a TPA is not registered and discovered, Jamie can refuse to make it cap exempt."
Under the heading of 'registered TPA' Farish continued: "TPAs are exempt from the cap under certain conditions. The main condition is that the company is not an associated entity. We have two TPAs registered for Anthony Watmough being ScoreCube $75,000 and PJ Promotions $50,000. ScoreCube is a 100 per cent subsidiary of Black Citrus who are a supplier of PNRL. Stephen Moss is the only director and the ScoreCube website is heavily branded Black Citrus.
"PJ Promotions are associated with [club consultant] Tracy. This condition is not as obvious as the Black Citrus connection but the NRL may query why a Newcastle-based promotion company want to spend $50,000-a-year for four years on Watmough. Tracy was promised reciprocal funding by Scott but has executed a TPA for four years with no matching funding.
"In summary, my major concerns are: ScoreCube TPA is easily connected to the club and even though it's approved at the moment the rules give the NRL ample room to reverse the decision. As a minimum I feel that we should self-report ScoreCube and flag that we have investigations ongoing."

The email, which was CC'd to the club's lawyer, John De Mestre, also raises issues with the club's relationships with suppliers including Zibara and E-Group Security, outlining Farish's suspicions that invoices had been inflated.

Fairfax Media has seen proof of the lucrative four-year arrangement between the Eels and Black Citrus, signed by Seward and Stephen Moss, the son of former Macquarie Bank executive Bill Moss, to start on January 1, 2015. The agreement states that the "PNRLC shall pay Black Citrus an annual fee of $221,996 plus GST paid in quarterly instalments of $55,499 plus GST" for digital services, digital advisory fees, a player management platform and a junior league licence.

The document notes that "no party may publicise in the media the existence of this Heads of Agreement or any of its terms". Parramatta directors have said privately that the board was not told by Seward of the deal.
Eels officials spent the weekend poring over hundreds of pages of transcripts from interviews conducted by NRL investigators, including evidence given by Seward and former team manager Jason Irvine.

Sources said they were not provided with a copy of McKelligott's voluntary interview and received only a statement from Seward dated May 2, the day before NRL chief Todd Greenberg announced the Eels' 12-point deduction and $1 million fine.
An NRL spokesman said: "Parramatta have been provided with the evidence that the NRL based its decision on."

Lawyers for Sharp, directors Tom Issa and Peter Serrao, Boulous and Anderson return to the NSW Supreme Court in Sydney for a hearing on Monday. They have argued they have not received procedural fairness from the NRL.
Ian Schubert, who is leading Parramatta's bid to be cleared as salary cap compliant in time for Friday's match against South Sydney, is also due to meet with L'Oste Brown on Monday.
Sharp, Boulous, Anderson and De Mestre did not return calls on Sunday.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-about-thirdparty-deals-20160508-gop83q.html

Last Week

Bench
I also struggle to see $3million dollars extra being spent on these Eels teams from 2013. That's $750k over 4 years. Or, if Parra are cap compliant in 2016, that means an extra million was being spent on the 2013,2014 and 2015 squads. I just can't see that.

I'm really doubting the $3million figure that was thrown around. That's worse than the Storm. So 12 points and a $1million fine is extremely lenient.

Things don't add up.

Latest posts