What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph Article Today - Gallop For Expansion

lockyrulz

Juniors
Financial black hole? So all clubs are making losses? Are you that bloody stupid????

Never made that claim you moron.
Newcastle or Canberra are not in a city of 4.2 million either. Do the maths - the average fan base for each Sydney club is twice that of Newcastle and Canberra. I know these simple things confuse you......

My god you are thick..

Go back and read the point I was making, what do you intend to do? Rationalise Canberra and Newcastle? ffs man take fish oil tablets or something to fire that joke of a brain of yours.

Why? Disprove it!

You prove it.

And the same applies to fans in the CC adopting the Bears as their own over time. In fact more so. The North Shore is basically lost to League.

Sure, they woudl also accept a relocated team, sh*t plenty of them back other Sydney teams anyway.

Never to my knowledge. I used it as an example - you seem to think everywhere would reapo rewards for Pay Tv except the CC.

People on the CC already watch league ffs.

I'd bank my house on it. Do a survey and find out.
Why? What is the dire need to drop the Sharks?

You can't bet it, the institution you live in is owned by the tax payer.

You are f*cking dreaming. If Perth would do that, Melbourne should be getting 100k to a match!

Oh please, its got an entire city and will have one team ffs!

You reckon Perth would outdraw the Broncos, or at least match their average home crowd?

Over time, why the hell not? It's an awesome game after all.

Probably - meaning you have nfi what happened. Here's the story. In 1988 Gold Coast was a huge League area funded by a hugely sucessful Leagues club - Seagulls at Tweed Heads. When QLD introduced pokies - Seagulls came back to earth. The area however was already League mad, and besides that was pre Pay TV.

Who gives a f**k, you genius, what the f**k does any of that have to do with anything?
And more teams don't equal more TV audiences? You idiot - SEQ kill it's own teams. You bleat about Sydney clubs dying (two died in the last 30 years). How come 4 of 6 SEQ clubs died in the last 10?

Again, only a village idiot like you could see any relevance to what we are discussing. Honestly if you are that thick that you think adding CC is going to a boon for the TV right deal you really are a lost cause

What Sydney strain? 4 of the top 5 sides are from Sydney

The strain on all the other clubs who have to compete with them. 4 or 5 is eventually all there should be.

Dickhead - when was the last Bears game to get 4k at NSO?

Wanker, what are you bleating on about now? Are you debating me or the myriad of voice in your thick head?

No I didn't - merely replying to your stupid rant that Norths struggled to get 6k at home, when the facts suggest something hugely different.

haha hughley different? You and I have very differnet concepts of what constitutes 'hughely' Bears crowds were sh*thouse, deal with it.

Yeah? How so? WA is probably Australia's most parochial state you twit!

How so? Origin? How many fo the parochial supporters woudl care or know that a team was from sydney? God you dribble some sh*t.

You do realise that Sydneysiders are twice as likely to attend an NRL game as Brisbaneites, don't you.

I don't give a flying f**k. We don't have 10 teams to split the support. We leave that to morons like you.

You just said a relocated team wouldn't work in Brisbane!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, now it wouldn't work again. FFS!!!!!!

I made no such claim. I said it would receive greater antipathy. Learn to read spastic.

Anyway, what is it? Average of 15k or 6k? Make up your mind dickhead

I don;t give a f**k, if you think between 6 and 16 k is a great figure well doesn't that jsut spell it out.
And extra 26 games is sfa?

Why waste them on a new license when we could take the advantage of heading into a new terrirtory.

Keep waiting sunshine - you'll be an old man before that happens.
YOu are an old man now, and soft in the head. Of course drooling tards like you said the same thing about a team in Melbourne, Canberra, about teams not merging dropping out etc. Brisbane will be in the NRL in 20 years, Parramatta wont, deal with that sunshine.
Last time 2 Sydney teams met in a semi final it outdrew 2 Origins. 4 of the top 5 teams are from Sydney

And you make your hundredth irrelevant point.

My god you eptiomise stupidity.

Loudstrat

Coach
OK - you are off into deluded world. The Bears will struggle to get 6k. All Sydney teams are struggling financially. Foxsports will not pay anything more for an extra game per week. Yeah ok you win dopey.

I wonder - when you chat to your farts in the outhouse, do you crap on as much as you do here?

Just before you go back into the Neverland Ranch to say goodnight to Coco - can you please outline the bids from Brisbane and Wellington that are currently before the NRL board?

Last edited:

lockyrulz

Juniors
OK - you are off into deluded world. The Bears will struggle to get 6k. All Sydney teams are struggling financially. Foxsports will not pay anything more for an extra game per week. Yeah ok you win dopey.

I wonder - when you chat to your farts in the outhouse, do you crap on as much as you do here?

Just before you go back into the Neverland Ranch to say goodnight to Coco - can you please outline the bids from Brisbane and Wellington that are currently before the NRL board?

FFS....

Never said the Bears would struggle to get 6k, never said every team in Sydney was at a loss. I appreciate your brain is firmly clasped between your sagging arse cheeks but jesus.

Look go read Leigh's posts, maybe he has the patience to deal with your dementia, I don't.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/wedding-plans-lift-ingliss-spirits-20100626-zaq7.html

RUSTY FIGHTS FOR RIGHTS

SOUTHS owner Russell Crowe feels rugby league is ready to take on AFL and become a truly national sport - but there is a rider. ''For rugby league to be truly national there has to be clubs in every state,'' he said. ''As long as the game is healthy, and the most important part of the game's future health is the clubs being fully represented by the independent commission, we are in [that] situation … We are not in the position where the core business dictates what is going on, so the clubs make fully known what is positive for them. Reclaiming the personal intellectual property for the individual clubs is very important because that restricts the clubs from being allowed to do something because they have to ask 'daddy'.''

Quidgybo

Bench
Relocation is quite simply not going to happen. Which team would you relocate?
Not my decision, that's up to the clubs themselves, but the NRL could make relocation to the CC happen within a decade if it was serious. In the past they've said there is $8m on offer for a team to relocate. But given a $4.2m salary cap, annual operating expenses and the costs of relocation, $8m doesn't really look that much in itself.

So take that $8m already on offer and put it in the bank. Now add another $1.5m every year to the account and wait to see who jumps first. Maybe no one will jump after five years when the jackpot is at $15.5m but I guarantee you someone will jump before the pot reaches $23m at ten years. It's a game of chicken with winner takes all. Wait too long in the hope of a bigger pot and a rival club could jump first, leaving you with nothing.

No club is forced or targeted to relocate, the decision remains totally in the hands of the clubs themselves. The NRL just makes it increasingly attractive for someone to volunteer to help the game achieve its aims without having to create new expansion licences for areas that don't add much to the value of the television deal.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
As I have said ad nauseum - what do you reckon 26 extra games is worth per annum? Even on the current devalued income, that's an extra 12.5%. We could have that now.
Yes, we could have that extra income with an extra game. But we can get that with any two new teams, it doesn't have to be the CC or any other particular bid. The question I'm asking is which two teams would add the most to our television deal over and above the simple value of one extra game? Which two new teams would maximise viewership in regions where it is not currently maximised?

It's funny how you reckon NSW is dying, yet it is the one place where TV viewership is at it's maximum......
Ummm, show me where I said NSW is dying? Fight the argument I'm making, not the the argument that's convenient. Oh, and you've just made my point for me. If NSW viewership is at its maximum, why add any more teams in NSW? We can add an extra game and increase viewership where it's not already maximised by creating new teams somewhere else.

Leigh

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Bring in Perth & CC. Some pressure needs to be put on the weakest link in Sydney to shift to QLD. Teams spending under the cap cannot be left to continue, we need to grow and move forward!

Why send the weakest link in Sydney to QLD when they could just move 100 km north to CC.

Expansion teams are needed in Perth, QLD and NZ.

bobmar28

Bench
b*llsh*t. Giving a team to a ready made population of around 600k sounds like expansion to me.

Put it this way, i bet the cc bears membership, merchandise and crowds would double the gws nuffies. Guaran-f*cking-teed!

Or put it another way. Kfc want to build a new store. They have 2 choices: 1) a place with 600 000 typical kfc eaters, or 2) a place with 1.3 million vegetarians. where do you think they would build?

qld?

Loudstrat

Coach
FFS....

Never said the Bears would struggle to get 6k
You said this:
CC should be a relocated team. That is what is best for the game, not rehashing a team that when it was last in could barely scrape 6000 bums on seats.

never said every team in Sydney was at a loss.
Again, you said this:
Of course it matters. I'm not suggesting it shouldn't have a team, I'm suggesting it should be one that is relocated from Sydney, a financial black hole.

And then this gem:

The gold coast makes money.
Yeah? Does it?

BTW Quidgey - how do we know that QLD viewership is not already maximised?

lockyrulz

Juniors
The gold coast makes money, and will do so for a long time. Not that it bears the slightest relevance ot what we are discussing

The CC will no doubt get better crowds then 6k, although that is about what the Bears got at times. Hardly compelling stuff. Point being Perth has far greater potential for growth then the CC, as does a second NZ team, both add more to the TV rights deal.

Consequently I'd rather the game show true leadership, let the CC be a relocated team from Sydney, an area which OVERALL struggles financially, and foster and support another bid to marry up with the reds.

Seriously I don't have the capacity to dumb it down for you anymore. You wank on about how the 13k at Perth was ordinary, how many turn up to watch matches at the CC? f**k me the sharks and Eels have had worse crowds than that recently and they have a home team to support.

Loudstrat

Coach
LOL - nice backtrack. Like to back the "overall struggles fnancially" up with some facts?

How about explaining how "struggles to get 6k" equals "no doubt get better crowds than 6k"

You see, having differing opinions is fine. Arguing your opinion without facts to back you up - and relying solely on insults is - well, typical of you?

And why invent stuff about what I said about Perth? Haven't you had your arse handed to you enough in this thread??????

lockyrulz

Juniors
I haven't backtracked at all.

Arse handed to me? :lol:

Here are my points.

The best option is for the CC to have a relocated team as opposed to a new license, as a new area offers more to the TV rights deal, and Sydney is an overcrowded market which this would assist in alleviating. This further enables a new license to be had elsewhere to further grow the game

You haven't posted one single ounce of anything that refutes these points. As usual your crack addled brain has gone off on idiotic tangents as you argue with your many and varied personalities.

mightybears

Bench
The CC will no doubt get better crowds then 6k, although that is about what the Bears got at times. Hardly compelling stuff. Point being Perth has far greater potential for growth then the CC, as does a second NZ team, both add more to the TV rights deal.

Consequently I'd rather the game show true leadership, let the CC be a relocated team from Sydney, an area which OVERALL struggles financially, and foster and support another bid to marry up with the reds.

Seriously I don't have the capacity to dumb it down for you anymore. You wank on about how the 13k at Perth was ordinary, how many turn up to watch matches at the CC? f**k me the sharks and Eels have had worse crowds than that recently and they have a home team to support.

Forget dumbing at down, the last time Norths got 6k odd was the 80's when most were getting 5 to 11k.

We spent a decade with crowds closer to 15k, were the most popular Sydney team for a season, and crowd wise finished top 6 in all seasons 1991 to 97.

You continue to miss the point about relocation, no team has volunteered to move out of Sydney since the Bears in 1997! and we didn't even had a gun to our head.

Are you seriously saying that the 'leaders' of our game ignore the only FINANCIAL BRAND STRONG strong bid, make a Sydney team move to the Central Coast, and 'foster' another bid to join the Reds?

Here's the thing there is NO OTHER BID ANYWHERE NEAR THE MARK.

PaulyTom

Juniors
We need to go to Perth. The NRL must see it as a long term investment and have to support the expansion teams initially. We cannot afford to dump a team there and expect them to survive on their own.

Support at all levels, local and state government support is also required to make this work.

NRL cannot afford to stuff this up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree. Sadly I see nothing in the NRL to remotely give me any hope that they are visionary enough or have enough leadership about them to do it. They will sit back and see what develops, then take a punt with no thought out strategy for success if the WARL can tick enough boxes. The WARL will bust a gut to tick those boxes and may well "hope" some of it happens in order to get us over the line for 2013. It may be a huge long term usccess or a disaster if the WARL haven't done their jobs well enough. Doubt the NRL will have much influence as they are simply not a proactive organisation.

Scarves

Juniors
Blacktown is already in Penrith's catchment. The eastern third of the LGA is Eels territory.

What makes money? People or acerage?

How will GWS threaten League in Blacktown? Should we make the Storm train in Collingwood so it kills off AFL's most supported team? You idiot!

I was taking the p!ss, however it appears you take youself and your precious opinions a little too seriously.

Thanks anyway for the post and positive feedback Loudstrat. I always appreciate acknowledgement from influential members of the forum who flood the site.

Good talk.

Brutus

Referee
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/perths-got-a-lot-going-for-it-nrl-boss-20100630-zkoy.html

Perth's got a lot going for it: NRL boss

JUSTIN CHADWICK

June 30, 2010 - 11:19AM

AAP
Momentum is building for a Perth-based NRL team by 2013, with David Gallop strongly hinting Western Australia will get a team if expansion goes ahead.
Last Saturday's game between Melbourne and South Sydney in Perth attracted a crowd of 13,164 despite freezing night conditions and demand for tickets dropping markedly immediately after the Storm's salary cap dramas were revealed.
WA Rugby League chief executive John Sackson believes Perth had a strong fan base to support a team and NRL CEO Gallop says the prospect will be given careful consideration.
"We are in a similar situation to the AFL in that we are about to do a broadcast deal and hopefully that will bring a fresh new bucket of money into our game," Gallop said.
"In about 12 months' time when we've got a clearer picture of our media rights deal going forward we'll certainly be seriously looking at expansion and the bottom line is Perth's got a lot going for it.
"There's an opportunity for us to increase our national profile, the State economy's robust, the (rectangular) stadium is being redeveloped.
"At the moment you'd have to say the Central Coast and Perth are the lead contenders."
The Western Reds, who featured in the national competition in 1995 and '96, regularly attracted crowds above 13,000.
The Reds defected to the Super League in 1997 but folded later in the year, a victim of the Super League war.
Gallop said the demise of the Reds was irrelevant when deciding whether to introduce a Perth-based side by 2013.
"I think they were a victim of circumstances within the game generally rather than anything they were getting wrong themselves," Gallop said.
"They weren't playing in an ideal stadium for rugby league (WACA Ground) and that's now not an issue because we've got a good stadium (in ME Bank Stadium).
"I don't take a lot of notice of what happened in the mid-90s because it was such an unusual time in the game generally."
While AFL rules the roost in WA, Sackson said it was important for the NRL to have a meaningful presence in the market.
"It's important for the code to start looking outside the east coast," Sackson said.
"Particularly in the face of the AFL's aggressive approach to the Gold Coast and Western Sydney.
"Rugby league needs to get on the front foot and expand the game nationally."
Sackson said several companies had already approached the WARL about potentially sponsoring a Perth-based team.
"We know the other pivotal aspect is television rights, which comes into play in 2013," Sackson added.
"The appeal (to the NRL) of having another capital city market ... would add some muscle to the negotiations.
"I think our prospects are very encouraging."
Rabbitohs coach John Lang, whose side will host another game in Perth next season, felt the time was right for a WA side.
"Certainly the competition's ready for a team from Perth in 2013," Lang said.
"We're a national rugby league competition, it's a big step forward if we can come over here in my opinion."

Gallop has seen the light and I'd say we will be seeing a Perth side in the 2013 NRL comp.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Ok, so now we need to make sure we have a good TV rights deal that allows for expansion and a raise in the club grant and for that grant to be equal to the salary cap.......thats alot of money...

Perth Red

Post Whore
In more good news the WARL is making a bid to get the All stars game in Perth for 2012.

I wonder if 12 months is going to be enough to build the club, recruit players and backroom staff etc. I appreciate their hands are tied until they get the TV deal signed and delivered but it will be cutting it close if we are to have two new teams in 2013 and the decision won;t get made till mid/late next 2011.

Great news though and as a frustrated RL fan in the West it is sweet music to the ears to hear Gallops change of heart!