What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail bullsh*t

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I am not trying to make excuses with anything I am just giving my opinion. I am a league fan who appreciates AFL not an AFL fan making excuses.

Both games could learn from each other. What the NRL does well with their TV Scheduling is that only one time throughout the weekend is their more than one game on at the same time.

The AFL on the otherhand each round has games scheduled at the same time which will directly effect TV Ratings.

The NRL I think could also learn from the AFL in the way they handle their Grand Final week.

And the afl might have a few games on, but they are showing the home teams into the home states to maximise ratings. Every Saturday night RL has 2 games on at the same time, that's why we have viewers choice.

The Sunday RL game is usually between 2 NSW clubs.

BM1979

Juniors
And the afl might have a few games on, but they are showing the home teams into the home states to maximise ratings. Every Saturday night RL has 2 games on at the same time, that's why we have viewers choice.

The Sunday RL game is usually between 2 NSW clubs.

Forgot about super saturday

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Just on the whole "AFL can squeeze in more ads during a broadcast" argument.

With Rugby League obviously being the more attractive code to watch.........couldn't the network simply demand more $$$$ for advertising during NRL games?

Given the amount of viewers that Rugby League attracts, surely advertisers would come to the table.

BM1979

Juniors
Just on the whole "AFL can squeeze in more ads during a broadcast" argument.

With Rugby League obviously being the more attractive code to watch.........couldn't the network simply demand more $$$$ for advertising during NRL games?

Given the amount of viewers that Rugby League attracts, surely advertisers would come to the table.

I suppose it would depend on the target market, For Sydney and Brisbane based companies yes but I would think AFL has the advantage for nationally based companies

Lets not forget we also win most weeks, and our Foxtel ratings smash theirs.

They had an interstate comp, which, because it could involve 3 teams, has the potential to be a better comp than ours. They also invented the Origin format. Their attempt at rep football went to sh*t.

I say this not to bag them, but to remind people just how good we have it irrespective of our admin. Our game is resiliant beyond belief when you consider where we were in the 1980's and what the game has gone through since. I think a lot of the inaction that some people blame the NRL/Gallop/whoever for is just wise people letting the resiliant old game run it's course. We have seen the big bags of wind running AFL and Union with all their media hype and spin. How come we have grown and they haven't? (OK - the Super whatever concept has been great for Union- but mainly at the expense of club rugby.)

AFL was closer to national domination when the Swans and Bears were new than they are now. Union is worse now with teams in 5 capitals than when it was with just the Schute Shield, Campo and the World Cup.

With that in mind, (not to mention the laughable GWS farce) anyone who can see AFL is better run, or ahead of us, must be trolling. End of story.

The TV rights will be the closer, if we get close to theirs, it'll dent them and their overblown egos severly.

You're right though, the AFL's handling of their "expansion" teams has been laughably inept and about as unprofessional as is possible. They whack a team onto the Gold Coast and Brisbane drop 10k off their average immediately. The same thing didn't happen to the Broncos when the Titans came into being. When the Thuns honeymoon period is over, they'll struggle big-time.

Then GWS... lol

Their poached figurehead player is someone who played for 3 teams well loved in Western Sydney, The Broncos, The Storm and Qld.

Their "coach" is some old fart who involves himself in staged publicity blues with Eddie McChins, which makes two nobodys in Western Sydney in the blue instead of one. They go all out to push Canberra into the "club" which waters down the Western Sydney crap immediately.

I live in Western Sydney, in an area the AFL would probably consider AFL-friendly and no one, and I mean no-one gives a rat's arse about GWS or the fact that Folau is their big signing.

Most of the players live in Breakfast Point, that leafy Western Sydney suburb a 5 minute boat ride from Gladesville Bridge.

AFL has always been great with their memberships, note the stand-out in this list, posted at LU's androtropball equivalent..

Club Members
West Coast 36,341
Hawthorn 31,309
Melbourne 18,747
Richmond 16,291
Western Bulldogs 14,962
Carlton 11,467
St Kilda 11,120
North Melbourne 10,582
Port Adelaide 9,091
Brisbane 5,610
Gold Coast 5,496
GWS 1,265
Adelaide N/A
Collingwood N/A
Essendon N/A
Fremantle N/A
Geelong N/A
Sydney N/A

Apparently the AFL have a large warchest, the pricks are going to need it.

Are you sure my numbers are wrong , Loudstrat did say last year , Gold Coast were not in the comp last year , Are you sure it's not your post that is wrong

When he said last year he was obviously talking about last season, 2011, which is where the 12 million viewers comes into it. That figure comes from this article.

Which most Rugby League fans with an interest in the "code war" would know....

http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?...45459&title=conference-highlights-codes-power

It was not very obvious at all to me last year was 2010

Why would he mean 2010 eight weeks after the 2011 season ended?

Well, you're either stupid or an AFL troll. Guess which I'm leaning toward?

Feel free to ask Loudy which season he was talking about to confirm it if it'll clear your furrowed brow.

BM1979

Juniors
Why would he mean 2010 eight weeks after the 2011 season ended?

Well, you're either stupid or an AFL troll. Guess which I'm leaning toward?

Feel free to ask Loudy which season he was talking about to confirm it if it'll clear your furrowed brow.

Yeah im an afl troll cause I dont think it's crap , Loudy probably was talking about this year but he still clearly stated last year and thats what I based my numbers off

Loudstrat

Coach
Hands up. I said "last year". I did mean last season.

I guess we should let you off by suggesting that the Gold Coast's first season was either 2011 or 2010 (It was actually 1988, reincarnated in 2007).

Unless you meant the AFL team. Matey, this is a league site. Mention "Gold Coast" and we think of Preston running off Prince after a Bull Bailey hitup. Not those gimps that threw a lotto win at cutie.

And for future reference:
Brisbane, on this site, means the Broncos,
Saints means the Dragons (or merge)
Tigers means Wests
Bulldogs means Coffs Harbour or "wear flack jackets"
Kangaroos means Australia
Eagles means Manly or hate
Pies means lunch
Flag means, well, flag
Full forward means Watmough at a season launch
Behind means Souffs at fulltime,
and Dockers is the bloke that drives ET home from the Cronulla Old Boys reunion piss ups!

bobmar28

Bench
Now lets put this in perspective Loudy, The NRL season is two weeks longer so thats 16 more Games to begin with. We then include our 3 SOO games which are our highest viewed games with the grand final. We will also include a Test match and a City Country match and I am not sure you are including Tri Nations. Thats 20 odd games more a year.

So the NRL rights should be worth a lot more than AFL is.

Canard

Immortal
And for future reference:
Brisbane, on this site, means the Broncos,
Saints means the Dragons (or merge)
Tigers means Wests
Bulldogs means Coffs Harbour or "wear flack jackets"
Kangaroos means Australia
Eagles means Manly or hate
Pies means lunch
Flag means, well, flag
Full forward means Watmough at a season launch
Behind means Souffs at fulltime,
and Dockers is the bloke that drives ET home from the Cronulla Old Boys reunion piss ups!

Quality

Also if you use the terms Flag, list, hooter or best on ground you should be given an automatic 2 week ban.....

Latest posts