What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Johnson - How many weeks?

fresh_mayo

Juniors
worth a week, with an early plea or 2 weeks for fighting it. Have to say matuia is one tough kid. could have stayed down but got up to play the ball.

mattyg

Bench
fresh_mayo said:
worth a week, with an early plea or 2 weeks for fighting it. Have to say matuia is one tough kid. could have stayed down but got up to play the ball.

don't think it was being tough, he was just being a good sport. too many times these days you see players lay down to get the penalty...he definately coulda got one by laying down. The refs should be good enough to see things like that without a player laying down to get a penalty.

Titanic

First Grade
Gives Carroll a chance to play his last Origin and then Johnson will return for the rest of the series.

Ghoulies

Bench
Titanic said:
Gives Carroll a chance to play his last Origin and then Johnson will return for the rest of the series.
Explain to me how Johnson's suspension could possibly influence the length of Carroll's SOO career?

Both players were picked for game one, and if all things go to plan result wise, both will be picked for game two.

Rocco

Juniors
it was a good hit matua was just diving so he can milk a penalty

no suspension for dallas :)

voltron

Juniors
the tackle was effected, he was coming late
the only part available for his shoulder to hit was his face.
its not like he couldve hit anywhere else.
Dallas had time to pull out of it

shouldve gotten 3 weeks for it

and how did matuia take a dive? he got up and played the ball, and fell back down.
the play continued, and dallas only got on report, no penalty

badav

Bench
maitua has offered to "help" johnson in the same way grothe has to lyon. he reckons it was unintentional and is happy to help him try to beat the charge.

Iafeta

Referee
Furthermore to those arguing for him on the basis of "lack of intent", he's been charged with a careless high tackle. It doesn't necessarily have to have intent. It's just a negligent tackle, IE the player hasn't taken the due care needed to protect the safety of the player by tackling below the shoulders.

There is a grading of "intentional", so really in a legal sense intent or otherwise shouldn't come into a careless grading. It's not graded as a blatant nutcase intentional act, but one where the player has not taken enough care to ensure the tacklee is not hit about the line of the shoulders.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not suggesting it was a blatant nutcase dog act - I simply believe he cocked his shoulder when the tackle was made (which many players, including SBW do). It was absolutely careless and IMO being a third man only makes matters worse. 1-2 weeks IMO.

Iafeta

Referee
I agree Dodger, that's not what I'm getting at. There's defence for him because there was no "intent". He hasn't been charged with an intentional, but a careless high tackle, there shouldn't be any real dispute that it was careless. If it's graded careless, whether there's intent or not is basically not up for discussion. The judiciary by that grading have already exonerated him of having intent to injure in the tackle. Careless is basically a bad accident, which this probably was.

Coaster

Bench
Do we really want all our top players in the NRL, sitting on the sidelines or in the ESL?

Gees, this time next year we will have a school competition

I hate all these stupid suspensions, this game is becoming so soft, it like watching Mod league.

Iafeta

Referee
Soft suspensions? If anything, they're too lenient

The likes of Dean Widders, Ben Hornby, Tony Martin and Danny Galea can count their blessings at how small an amount of time they've served (if any) over dangerous spear tackles.

You nearly have to snap someone's neck to get 3-4 weeks these days.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
curious - wake up to yourself. Some of these tackles are potentially LIFE THREATENING. FFS safety is paramount and not suspending players = actions without consequences.

Coaster

Bench
Dodger said:
curious - wake up to yourself. Some of these tackles are potentially LIFE THREATENING. FFS safety is paramount and not suspending players = actions without consequences.

LOL, so you are telling me Lyons tackle was life threatening? What about Dallas?
Why dont we just wrap them all in cotton wool, and play the game on a XBOX.

FFS this game has always been the best game in the world, becuase of the danger in it.
This is what makes RL different to NFL, players go out there knowing they are going into battle, they know they are talking there lives into there own hands and thats what makes it complusery viewing.

Di*kheads like you spend your time whinging about suspensions, then in the same breath wonder why the crowds are so poor, we are sanitising this game to a point where we will see players running out wearing plastic pads and helmets.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
curious said:
LOL, so you are telling me Lyons tackle was life threatening? What about Dallas?

So you wouldn't mind getting picked up and dumped on your head/neck?

You wouldn't mind having a player run at you from the side when unnecassary and smash you in the nose with their shoulder?