What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M’s

Zoidberg

First Grade
So the Dally M short list was released today (award night is on Wednesday) and we have 4 players in with a chance to take out their positional awards.
Fullback -KP
Winger - Dom
Centre - Best
2nd row - Frizell

I think KP has a shot at overall player of the year but Shaun Johnson is favourite.

Good luck to all the guys.

Apey

Staff member
Hah we posted at the same time.

No Walsh due to suspension.

Is it still based on who polled the most points in the Dally M count? Would say Ponga is a shoe-in for fullback if so. Young maybe for winger.

mozza91

Coach
Ponga should definitely get Fullback and is a genuine smoky for the Dally M itself.

Some of those nominees are there based on reputation not anything they achieved in 2023.

Rod

Bench
From a Knights perspective I think those nominees are all about right. You could arguably throw in Marzhew over someone like Mulitalo too.

Ponga should get fullback because for mine he'll be 2nd to Johnson in the final Dally M count.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Realistically we only played well for half a season so if one of our lads gets it, surely it's a fluke at best?

Woosh

Head Moderator
Is it still based on who polled the most points in the Dally M count? Would say Ponga is a shoe-in for fullback if so. Young maybe for winger.
They have scrapped that voting system this season but Ponga will still get the fullback of the year if he finishes top 3 in the Dally M votes.

The judges vote on the best player(s) in each position at regular intervals throughout the season. A further vote is conducted at the conclusion of the regular season.

The player(s) who polls the highest number of votes in each position is included in the Team of the Year, with one exception – players who finish in the top 3 of the Dally M Medal automatically receive their position in the Team of the Year.

From a Newcastle perspective, you could make a fair argument this season the other centre and winger are more deserving.
Both polled better in the Danny Buderus Medal which is voted by the coaching staff after every game in the regular season.
In Gagai’s case, he finished with 3 times as many votes as Best.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member
Women's nominees

Fullback - Tamika Upton
Winger - Sheridan Gallagher
Centre - Shanice Parker
Second Rower - Yasmin Clydesdale

Coach of the year - Ronald Griffiths
Try of the year - Jesse Southwell

I don't watch a lot of NRLW outside our games but I'd say Upton and Yasmin are shoe-ins. Ronald Griffiths is probably the best coach but I'd say Karyn Murphy (Titans) will get it - first female coach to get a side to the GF.

Rod

Bench
Overall Gagai probably had a better season than Best, I think he's paid the price for a couple of high profile stinkers like the first half of the Raiders game, and getting axed from Origin while Bradman got his first Origin gig and played well.

Woody90

Juniors
I think Gagai had a better start to the season but Best has been better since the first Cronulla game.

I have trouble splitting Dom and Marzhew but Dom has scored more tries.

aqua_duck

Coach
Women's nominees

Fullback - Tamika Upton
Centre - Shanice Parker

I don't watch a lot of NRLW outside our games but I'd say Upton and Yasmin are shoe-ins. Ronald Griffiths is probably the best coach but I'd say Karyn Murphy (Titans) will get it - first female coach to get a side to the GF.
Absolutely shocked at some of our girls who didn’t get nominated for a few awards namely Jesse Southwell halfback, Olivia Higgins hooker, Hannah Southwell Captain and Sheridan Gallagher rookie.

The fact the Knights only really played for less than half a season works against players. Ponga wins in a landslide if he starts the year the way he ended it.

Zoidberg

First Grade
The fact the Knights only really played for less than half a season works against players. Ponga wins in a landslide if he starts the year the way he ended it.
Ponga missing quite a few games due to his concussion issue probably doesn’t help too.

Apey

Staff member
Women's nominees

Fullback - Tamika Upton
Centre - Shanice Parker

Yep Karyn Murphy won it. Knights FB said Jesse won Try of the Year. Dunno if that's just early mail or I missed it.

PhilGould

Bench
2022: Griffiths takes team from wooden spooners to 2nd on the ladder, gets overlooked for the minor premiers coach

2023: Griffiths coaches team to minor premiership and odds on favourites to go back to back, gets overlooked for the coach who took the wooden spooners to 3rd on the ladder

Can't help but laugh