What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darius Boyd, Clive Churchill Medalist

Did Boyd Deserve the CCM?

• Yes, Boyd deserved the CCM

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • I don't think it was a CCM performance, but no one else really stood out either

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • No, someone else deserved it

Votes: 54 62.1%

• Total voters

Johns Magic

Referee
Have to say, I couldn't believe Boyd was given the CCM. There were plenty of better players on the field for the Dragons and to me it just came off as a bit of a "well, no one scored a hat-trick so let's just give it to the bloke who usually gets points" decision. I can't say that was anywhere near one of his best performances this year.

I thought Hornby would get it, this is not a Dragons-bashing thread by any means. Just wondering what others think of it.

Has Boyd become that guy who polls when he has a half-decent game just because he's part of the team's structure? It's almost as if he gets points for not standing out and it's just assumed he's doing a lot of unnoticed work.

Again, this is not a Dragons bashing thread and I think Boyd is a great fullback and player. But Sunday was not a CCM winning performance in my eyes, and it was not one of his best games throughout the year.

What does everyone think? Dragons fans' comments would be particularly appreciated.

gregstar

Referee
i thought hornby was the best player.

followed equally by hymie & smith.

rroyd was level with florence imo.

special mention to the two chewies saffa & priort.

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah he did seem like the default choice albeit I thought he did come up with a couple of good plays that certainly put the Dragons on the front foot. Personally I would've given Jeremy Smith the CC medal.

The CC award has always been a very contentious. I'll always remember the exchange between Johns and Tallis where Big Gordy told Joey that he should be honest with himself and give BK the 2001 CC award. Without missing a beat Joey turns to him and says I'll do that as soon as you hand TC the 1998 award.

timka4

Bench
The CC award has always been a very contentious. I'll always remember the exchange between Johns and Tallis where Big Gordy told Joey that he should be honest with himself and give BK the 2001 CC award. Without missing a beat Joey turns to him and says I'll do that as soon as you hand TC the 1998 award.

lol didn't know that, that's hilarious

AJH

Juniors
I thought Hornby was best-on-ground. As captain seemed to step up for a run or catch when we needed it.

Blaze

Juniors
Has a NZer ever won the Clive Churchill medal?

They appear to be at a disadvantage considering the CC medal winner is chosen by the Australian selectors who, if they were doing their job properly, would be mainly focussing on Australian players in the GF...

I mean I remember last year Adam Blair was clearly the best player on ground and didn't get the CC medal, and then on Sunday I thought J Smith may have gone close

it was like they didnt know how to give it to.

soward was pretty good. couple of try assists. didnt f**k up and kicked the goals.

hornby was good too

gronkathon

First Grade
Hornby Smith or Saffy for mine.

But Boyd got the "sorry the Telegraph gave Carney the Dally M" prize, oh and you played well

RufusRex

Post Whore
Obviously should have been Todd Carney ... he is the greatest man in the world after all ...

dice

Juniors
1979_finch_1.jpg

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
I didn't even think of Boyd when considering who would get it. More than half the team were better than him lol.

Nightingale, Hornby, Smith or Young is what came to mind initially

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Jeremy Smith and Nathan Fien were disavantaged because they didn't play the full game but the dragons were a better team with both on the field. Hornby would've been a worthy winner.

RHCP

Bench
Didn't even consider him in my mind when I was thinking about who they'd give it to post-match. I thought Jeremy Smith and Ben Hornby's performance's are what allowed the Dragons to steamroll the Roosters in the second half, either of them would've been fitting medallists for mine.