What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darius Boyd, Clive Churchill Medalist

Did Boyd Deserve the CCM?

• Yes, Boyd deserved the CCM

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • I don't think it was a CCM performance, but no one else really stood out either

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • No, someone else deserved it

Votes: 54 62.1%

• Total voters

Whoosh

Juniors
Hornby was probably the best, but as there was no obvious choice I think Boyd got it for having a good season....

gregstar

Referee
1979_finch_1.jpg
really good footballer.

really stepped up when roy ferguson retired.

Apey

Staff member
I picked Boyd to get it when I was watching it at home, but basically because of this;

a bit of a "well, no one scored a hat-trick so let's just give it to the bloke who usually gets points"

It was hard to pick a stand-out I reckon, Boyd had a decent game and was involved in a try or two but you wouldn't say he was the best on ground.

Nugby

Juniors
I thought if we won that Boyd'd probably get it given Channel 9 love him (not thinking about the Aussie selectors picking it).

Thought Nightingale personally, followed by Hornby (at the game, so probably not best positioned to decide it though), but Blaze raised an excellent point about the Australian selectors possibly not picking Kiwi players!

phonetic

Juniors
Nightingale or Hornby for me.

Nightingale.. 2 tries, that great run towards the end of the game, a few big defensive plays.

Hornby really stepped up.

mrpwnd

Bench
Hornby, Soward and Nightingale should've whacked Boyd and whacked the selectors too for the one of the most undeserved awards in the modern era since Billy Slater.

Dazzat

First Grade
Dean Young for me ... his versatility gave the Dragons a distinct advantage with running Fien on and off. And his defense was first class.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Its a bit of joke really, its like the award was given out before the game kicked off. Boyd played ok, but surely Jeremy Smith, Nathan Fien and Nightingale shouldve got a mention.

I hear this award is chosen by Australia selectors, so its funny how none of those mentioned (Kiwis) were chosen ahead of Boyd. :sarcasm:

typicalfan

Coach
My top 6 would be Hornby, Smith, Costigan, Young, Boyd, Nightingale.

The pass Boyd put onto the chest of Nightingale was a beauty and was great under pressure.

Fien made a mistake in the second half that could have been costly so I had him back a bit further.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Very happy he was, put $40 bucks on him (won on both the Norm Smith and the Clive Churchill). Darius deserved it!

Loudstrat

Coach
Its becoming a popular player award, much like the Dally M as opposed to the Rothman's Medal. The days of the non Rep player winning it are goneskis. Young for mine.

I think the last CC Medallist that had no Origin or test jumpers was probably Jimmy Dymock in 95, also Cliff Lyons probably the other one.

Adsy

Juniors
Should have gone to Hornby.

Ps. That opinion has NOTHING to do with the fact I would have won a f**k load if he did get given it.

PJ Marshal

Coach
youd never see a winger win a cc medal unless he scored about 5 trys , nightingale probably played his best game for saints and wouldnt have looked out of place with the medal.

couldnt really split young, hornby, smith and soward

Slackboy72

Coach
I'd give it to Nathan Fien. His running out of dummy half really changed the complexion of the game.

Latest posts