What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Lockyer might have played for NSW in Origin but Eels blew chance to sign him

Craig Johnston

First Grade
by Peter Badel From: The Courier-Mail June 09, 2011 12:00AM

PARRAMATTA botched plans to sign Queensland skipper Darren Lockyer as a 16-year-old, Eels stalwart Steve Ella has revealed.

Lockyer will break Allan Langer's Origin record with his 35th appearance on Wednesday night at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

But Lockyer could easily have been snapped up by the Eels, and earned Origin eligibility with NSW, after Ella became the first scout to spot him as an unknown teen at a Queensland schoolboys carnival.

A proud Queenslander who idolised Wally Lewis, Lockyer always dreamed of representing the Maroons, making a NSW defection remote, but yesterday he confirmed the surprise approach to him from Parramatta.

By playing his first senior football in NSW, Lockyer would have been eligible to play for the Blues and would no doubt have faced pressure early in his career to switch allegiance.

Former NSW centre Ella met Lockyer and recommended him to Parramatta, viewing the young playmaker as the ideal successor to retired five-eighth great Brett Kenny. Ella said the Eels inexplicably ignored his advice.

Lockyer attracted the attention of the Broncos and will become Queensland's most capped player next Wednesday.

"After seeing Darren play, I came back to Parra management and I said, 'You need to sign this kid, he's the best I've ever seen'," said Ella, who played eight Origin games for NSW from 1983-85.

"Of all the places I travelled to, he was miles ahead of any kid I saw in terms of how he read the game. I thought, 'God, this kid is a freak'.

"I spoke to Darren after that carnival. I said, 'Are you interested in playing for Parra?' and he said, 'definitely'.

"I had no doubt the kid would make the grade but the Eels management said they already had a five-eighth and I believe they never made the phone call (to Lockyer).

"I was disappointed about it."

Parramatta's five-eighth options at the time of Ella's approach to Lockyer in 1994 were Keith Blackett and Michael Buettner.

The club's greatest five-eighth, Kenny retired in 1993, two years before Lockyer made his first-grade debut, coincidentally against the Eels in Brisbane's 60-14 victory.

"I remember it," Lockyer said. "Steve Ella was the first guy to come and talk to my family.

"As a kid you knew the scouts who were watching and I remember the boys from Roma (where Lockyer grew up) would go to Sydney for trials.

"It would have been a big move for me at that age and I was always keen to try my luck with the Broncos.

"It wasn't long after (Ella) saw me that I got a scholarship with the Broncos and that's how it has played out."

Ella, who scored 94 tries in 156 games for Parramatta, isn't surprised Lockyer has become a Test and Origin icon.

"He was the standout the day I saw him," he said. "He obviously had talent but it was also the way he read the game. He had time to do things other playmakers struggled to do and that was a huge attraction.

"Ever since, I've taken a special interest in Darren.

"The Broncos did well to snap him up. He's become one of the greatest players Australia has produced."

Lockyer has won four premierships with Brisbane. Parramatta's last title was in 1986.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...eve-ella-reveals/story-e6frep86-1226072009113

didn't we have a similar story of yow yeh only a few months ago? bloody hell, did we pass up yoh yeh under the same administration? hmmmmm........:|

bartman

Immortal
Nice story - I think there's a similar one re Cronin nearly going to the Bulldogs first, and Sterlo nearly going to Manly etc etc back in the day. You win some you lose some.

Good on Ella for having a good eye, but even if an offer was forthcoming by the time the kid and his family had weighed up a move to Parra there's no guarantee anything would have happened (and no guarantee he would have stayed beyond those two formative years before returning to Qld).

Captain BF

Juniors
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i reckon it is/was a very similar story with 'Freddy' Fittler....

dazeely

First Grade
Lockyer was a fullback back then. Contradicting themselves saying eels already had a five eighth. Media jibber again.

Gronk

Staff member
Lockyer has won four premierships with Brisbane. Parramatta's last title was in 1986.

FMD, if we had the rubbery salary cap like they did, we'd have a few more trophies too.

Seriously, when these scribes have nothing to write about are we the go-to team or what ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Parra have the bye this weekend and we are still copping it from these dickheads :roll: And it's only taken 16 years for this story to come out???

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Lockyer wouldn't have played for NSW. Sticky would have told him he can't play fullback because he's a 5/8 then left him out.

spiderdan

Bench
So potentially in the 90s we could have had Matt and phil adamson, Andrew johns and Darren Lockyer but didn't want them. With a bit better player management at the club we may not have had so many crap years back then.

boxhead

First Grade
Wow, does anyone consider that even if we did sign these players that there are so many different things that could have happened, instead of just saying "Oh why didn't we sign quality players". FFS for all we know if we had signed Lockyer then he may never have handled the change to a NSW town well and never made much of an impact here.
Lamenting something that probably wouldn't have happened anyway is pointless, and it's yet another piece of garbage from the media.

The Omen

Juniors
Wow, does anyone consider that even if we did sign these players that there are so many different things that could have happened, instead of just saying "Oh why didn't we sign quality players". FFS for all we know if we had signed Lockyer then he may never have handled the change to a NSW town well and never made much of an impact here.
Lamenting something that probably wouldn't have happened anyway is pointless, and it's yet another piece of garbage from the media.

couldn't agree more

who's to say that any of theses "MISSED" players would have become the great players that they are/were ... yes there is always the talent they have but look at some of the players they had around them , the coaching staff , the management ...
all factors that if one was altered could have become a different outcome

JoeyJoJo83

Juniors

Very true, Locky got to play under the greatest coach of this era, if he had come to parra he probably would have been half the player he is today.

Gronk

Staff member
What if blah blah. Parra have invested a bomb in young kids. Some have worked out and some haven't.

Very easy to be critical in hindsight when you pass on Paul Gallen and Darren Lockyer. It's a lottery as much as owning racehorses.

IIRC Barney Hasslett stayed with the same family as Jamie Lyon when they both were brought down and went to Parra Marist. One did good and another didn't. I bet Bullfrog Moore passed on as many good ones as bad.

Us missing out on Lockyer is nothing anyway. The biggest bad beat in world history is Clint Newton dumping Jennifer Hawkins. :roll: