What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith is the greatest administrator in RL history.

Glen

Bench
It should be the guy who throws the first one to start the fight who gets sin-binned. And anyone who runs in throwing punches. This is pretty much what has been happening until the refs goofed by not binning Paul Gallen

As others have mentioned, not allowing a guy to defend himself is insane.

Sphagnum

Coach
Watch all the baiting that will go on now. Teams will tactically try and encourage their opposition to fight so they can get a numbers advantage.

They obviously didn't think this one through.

Cam smith will be the recipient of the most punches, dirty little grub.

Son of Minto

Bench
Watch all the baiting that will go on now. Teams will tactically try and encourage their opposition to fight so they can get a numbers advantage.

Yeah this wont happen.

mickdo

Coach

Agreed. Dumb, dumb decision by Dave Smith. Weak as piss.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Can someone name last time pre gallen they didnt get binned for fighting?
Brawl in last years origin. Everyone not named Jennings who threw a punch.

Battle of Brookvale would now see half a dozen or more sin bins instead of just the two.

God-King Dean

Immortal
So let me get this straight....

People are pissed off at Dave Smith for telling refs to enforce a rule that been in place for as long as I remember.

That's f**cked!

Burn it down! BURN IT ALL DOWN!

If the independant commission are serious......

Garbler

Juniors
I think you missed the point of that comment. Learn some comprehension skills before having a go at me.

I said that the Helen Lovejoy types want to think of the children and teach them the lesson that fighting is wrong, however the scenario I mentioned teaches kids that if someone punches you, you shouldn't defend yourself but instead just stand there like a pussy and take it. In no way, shape, or form am I advocating a "please think of the children" stance.

I couldn't care less about children seeing a fight in RL. I educate children about right and wrong rather then looking to blame society for all my problems.

ahhhhhh I think ur more twisted than a pretzel. LOL.
Regardless of whether your condemning or condoning fighting, your still acting the Helen Lovejoy if your concerned about its effect on children.

I educate children about right and wrong rather then looking to blame society for all my problems.

I'm sure the children you enlighten with the rights and wrongs of the world are totally devoted to your teachings and will never, ever be influenced by anyone else. hmmmm

kmav23

Juniors
Dear cavemen,

This is 2013 society and proffesional sport has changed.

The NFL, nba and afl have cleaned up their sports to attract a wider audience and please sponsors and mothers.

yes lots of men love watching fights, however if you want more kids playing the game fighting needs to be reduced as much as possible.

Players are earning big money from sponsors who want them to sell their products dress in suits, act respectful on and off the field.

when you get 1 billion tv deal, you need to satisfy the sponsors.

Frailty

First Grade
Dear cavemen,

This is 2013 society and proffesional sport has changed.

The NFL, nba and afl have cleaned up their sports to attract a wider audience and please sponsors and mothers.

yes lots of men love watching fights, however if you want more kids playing the game fighting needs to be reduced as much as possible.

Players are earning big money from sponsors who want them to sell their products dress in suits, act respectful on and off the field.

when you get 1 billion tv deal, you need to satisfy the sponsors.

Dear Hysteria Merchant,

Thank you for your concern over the NRL's need to appease sponsors and encourage children to play the game.

As you would be aware, the $1 Billion dollar tv deal was signed at a time where the shoulder charge was legal, and no fixed sin bin for a fight was in place. This did not deter the networks or sponsors.

Furthermore, the most valuable product, State of Origin, has become one of the sporting highlights of all Australian sport and this has been a by-product of the 'mate vs mate' and 'biff' that was demonstrated in the very first origin game.

In addition to this, coverage and anticipation of game II in this series has been sky rocketing as a result of the Gallen 1-2 combo on Myles massive head.

Please refrain from spewing your nonsense.

Sincerely,
Caveman aka the average footy supporter.

kmav23

Juniors
Why do you think all the other codes have cleaned out fighting when it uses to happen all the time?

2013 my friend, if you want fighting then watch Boxing mma.

Frailty

First Grade
Why do you think all the other codes have cleaned out fighting when it uses to happen all the time?

2013 my friend, if you want fighting then watch Boxing mma.

They have cleaned out fighting have they?

I love how the AFL sent off Barry Hall for his numerous king hits... What? They didn't?

As for NFL and NBA, they also eject players for arguments with the umpires. NHL penalises both players involved in a fight with a 5:00 major penalty but it's still a key part of the game.

If you honestly think sin binning players for fighting will really rid of it in the game, you are even dumber than anyone could have predicted.

We won't be getting $1b next time. They're doing their best to turn people off the sport. Why do 4.5m people watch Origin? Because there's a fair chance there will be fighting or the like. It might not happen in every game but the perception remains that it is likely. If they want to take that out of Origin, fine, but they shouldn't surprised when that 4.5m figure drops considerably and the TV networks revise their bids down for the next deal. Morons.

kmav23

Juniors
They have cleaned out fighting have they?

I love how the AFL sent off Barry Hall for his numerous king hits... What? They didn't?

As for NFL and NBA, they also eject players for arguments with the umpires. NHL penalises both players involved in a fight with a 5:00 major penalty but it's still a key part of the game.

If you honestly think sin binning players for fighting will really rid of it in the game, you are even dumber than anyone could have predicted.

In the NBA players get suspended for pushing and giving refs a dirty look.