What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deep North saviour for the Sharks

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is an atrocious stadium to watch footy from.

I meant Suncorp! Def another Nth Brisbane team with WA if the Sharks move to the CC. If not then Bears on CC or Nth Brisbane and WA. We need to look at what the RFL are doing, expanding the game with one heartland and one expansion area each time. Next up for the SL will no doubt be Widnes and Toulouse.

Time for the game to grow up and take its high calibre product to new markets as well as strengthening the heartlands.

StinkyPete

Juniors
i lived in cairns for 5 years its not overly fussed on NRL. the sport thats loved up there is AFL and it won't be long until they get a team in the AFL. but as for moving sharks perth or adeliade seems like the go.
nql2009.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
When I was there a few years ago the big pub in the town has a Cowboys supporters club banner up above the huge screen in thebeer garden. Given the are the NQ Cowboys I would have thought Cairns would be fans. Maybe the Cowboys need to do more to engage the town rather than another team up there?

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
haha i think it happend cairns is rivals with townsville and townsville has the cowboys home stadium and i have no idea where their passion for AFL came from but its defienatly there.
AFL is massive in Northern Terrtory and across most of Northern Queensland, and I don't mean to be racist, but has a lot to do with the aboriginal players having a greater preference for AFL, as they are smaller and very f**king fast. A game like league doesn't allow them to run as much as an AFL game does.

StinkyPete

Juniors
When I was there a few years ago the big pub in the town has a Cowboys supporters club banner up above the huge screen in thebeer garden. Given the are the NQ Cowboys I would have thought Cairns would be fans. Maybe the Cowboys need to do more to engage the town rather than another team up there?
theres defiantly a fan base in cairns theres no just not a big enough one for a new team up there cowboys do a trial game in cairns but nothing more a guess a home game or 2 in cairns wouldn't hurt but then you've got cowboys season ticket holders to deal with....but wouldnt cost cowboys much to chuck them all on a bus up there

Lambretta

First Grade
How can North (which is "up") be deep? Surely it should be the high North?

Anyway - Cairns is too small for a League team and from a climate point of view - anyone playing up there would have too much of a home advantage. It's not the most logical location within Queensland - let alone ignoring the Central Coast and Perth options.

Rockhampton or West / North Brisbane are the most logical areas for a new Queensland club.

beave

Coach
theres defiantly a fan base in cairns theres no just not a big enough one for a new team up there cowboys do a trial game in cairns but nothing more a guess a home game or 2 in cairns wouldn't hurt but then you've got cowboys season ticket holders to deal with....but wouldnt cost cowboys much to chuck them all on a bus up there

what, for all 7 thousand of us????

Moron.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A cruise ship?

I am amazed that a team called NQ isn't really working hard to attract fans from the second biggest popualtion in its catchment area. the Cowboys must be flush with cash if they can afford to neglect such a lucrative potential.

In many ways this is indicative of the NRL's issues. We'd rather consider sticking a team in a small area than have teams actually come up with marketing plans to bring those small areas into their fanbase.

bluey

Bench
i lived in cairns for 5 years its not overly fussed on NRL. the sport thats loved up there is AFL and it won't be long until they get a team in the AFL. but as for moving sharks perth or adeliade seems like the go.
nql2009.jpg

I lived in cairns for 15 years worked up in the torres straight and i can tell you they are league mad.
Afl is strong because of the revoving population but league is stronger in the north

beave

Coach
A cruise ship?

I am amazed that a team called NQ isn't really working hard to attract fans from the second biggest popualtion in its catchment area. the Cowboys must be flush with cash if they can afford to neglect such a lucrative potential.

In many ways this is indicative of the NRL's issues. We'd rather consider sticking a team in a small area than have teams actually come up with marketing plans to bring those small areas into their fanbase.

The cowboys played 2 games in Cairns in 2000 and whilst the first game attracted 14k or so, the second game only got about 8k.........we lost money champ. Townsville is more central for everyone to attend games. The team goes up there constantly and runs clinics, we play a trial there, Cairns gets a fair run. I don't know if anyone follows the NBL but the city is flat out supporting a basketball side (financially) let alone an NRL side which costs about 3 times as much to run. F$%k me, the Cairns Pride are our feeder club, we give them fringe players to use in the QLD cup. They are far from negelected.

Timbo

Staff member
nql2009.jpg

I've been up there a fair few times and I got the exact opposite impression...

If it was a crash move, I'm sure the NRL would waive certain rules allowing Barlow Park to be used as an interim venue, but only on the condition a proper facility was assured.

babyg

Juniors
Where did Cairns come from?? Fastest growing regions in Aus are Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. A merged Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast/ even Central Qld team would be a goer. Play most at Suncorp and a few up the Coast.

mongoose

Coach
How can North (which is "up") be deep? Surely it should be the high North?

Anyway - Cairns is too small for a League team and from a climate point of view - anyone playing up there would have too much of a home advantage. It's not the most logical location within Queensland - let alone ignoring the Central Coast and Perth options.

Rockhampton or West / North Brisbane are the most logical areas for a new Queensland club.

There will never be a team in rockhampton. It is more of a rural town than a viable city. It is not even on the coast, its a fair way inland.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

I went up to Cairns just last year and there is more support for their QLD Cup team than every AFL team put together...

mik01

Juniors
Look, there needs to be another Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp. We need RL at that ground every week. A North Brisbane team with ties to Redcliffe and the Sunny Coast would be ideal. Maybe 10 home games at Suncorp and 1 or 2 on the Sunshine Coast.

problem is the NRL waited too long and we now have the Reds and Roar playing there alternately.

I thought Roy had more of a brain than this... Cairns?????????
The NQ Cowboys are based in Tville, but represent the whole region (ie inc Cairns).

it would be like saying 'let's throw a team in Bathurst' cos the locals turn off when 2 Qld teams play.

We CAN support another team in Brisbane, and we DO want one. its over to Gallop now...

Latest posts