What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeMerge Magpies and Tigers

Liverpool is the future for Wests. Huge growth area, and we could infringe on the Canterbury territory as well as secure the South West.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Sydney would go from 9 to 10 teams.

WT only play 4 games a year in CT (and i would debate whether that is "not Sydney").

So that would take it from 8.66 teams to 9

(Where are you pulling the extra one from? Canberra and Newcastle are the 2 regional teams of the 11 in NSW)

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
WT only play 4 games a year in CT (and i would debate whether that is "not Sydney").

So that would take it from 8.66 teams to 9

(Where are you pulling the extra one from? Canberra and Newcastle are the 2 regional teams of the 11 in NSW)

Canberra's not in NSW.

I know it may seem pedantic, but if we don't keep correcting people they'll continue to keep lumping us together with NSW when we haven't been part of NSW for 102 years and don't plan to join back up with them anytime soon.

johnny plath

Juniors
Canberra's not in NSW.

I know it may seem pedantic, but if we don't keep correcting people they'll continue to keep lumping us together with NSW when we haven't been part of NSW for 102 years and don't plan to join back up with them anytime soon.

I think the fact that players from Canberra are somehow eligible for NSW in origin probably adds to the confusion. Is there actually some logical reason why that's the case?

siv

First Grade
I think the fact that players from Canberra are somehow eligible for NSW in origin probably adds to the confusion. Is there actually some logical reason why that's the case?

Their FC is owned by Queenbeyan LC and they played many games out of Seiffort Oval before Bruce Stadium was built

JAMES_FOO

Juniors
As much as I would like to see the magpies back in the comp Sydney doesn't need another team. Although attendances were at a relatively high level this year, Sydney still doesn't compare to what Brisbane or even north QLD get to games. I would vote for the North Sydney Bears based around the central coast (that way I could get to more games) or another Brisbane team.

The Great Dane

First Grade

For one thing not many of our players are actually born in the ACT, but in the surrounding regions (Queanbeyan, Cooma, Cowra, Goulburn, etc, etc) before moving to Canberra/Queanbyan for all sorts of reasons.

But of the ones that are actually born and bred in the ACT and played their first 1st grade games for ACT based clubs (which the Raiders are considered to be because the headquarters of the football operations is in Bruce, which is in Canberra for those that don't know) nobody can really give you a strait answer as to the justification as to why they are eligible to play for NSW.

As far as I can tell it's simply because nobody outside of the ACT (and we are roundly ignored when it comes to all things RL, the NRL ignoring us and treating us like second class citizens is actually one of the main reasons why people from Canberra have been jumping off the Raiders in my opinion) has made a stink about it so NSW has been allowed to get away with it.

If Queenslanders were smart enough to be able to tell the difference between the ACT and NSW they could have prevented Bradley Clyde, Joel Monaghan, Josh Dugan, and probably others I've forgotten about from ever pulling on a Sky Blue jersey, but for some unknown reason they have never challenged it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For one thing not many of our players are actually born in the ACT, but in the surrounding regions (Queanbeyan, Cooma, Cowra, Goulburn, etc, etc) before moving to Canberra/Queanbyan for all sorts of reasons.

But of the ones that are actually born and bred in the ACT and played their first 1st grade games for ACT based clubs (which the Raiders are considered to be because the headquarters of the football operations is in Bruce, which is in Canberra for those that don't know) nobody can really give you a strait answer as to the justification as to why they are eligible to play for NSW.

As far as I can tell it's simply because nobody outside of the ACT (and we are roundly ignored when it comes to all things RL, the NRL ignoring us and treating us like second class citizens is actually one of the main reasons why people from Canberra have been jumping off the Raiders in my opinion) has made a stink about it so NSW has been allowed to get away with it.

If Queenslanders were smart enough to be able to tell the difference between the ACT and NSW they could have prevented Bradley Clyde, Joel Monaghan, Josh Dugan, and probably others I've forgotten about from ever pulling on a Sky Blue jersey, but for some unknown reason they have never challenged it.

How many players are gonna say "nah, im from Canberra. Dont pick me for origin."???

If you want to make the point of NOT being part of NSW, then ACT people should be eligible for QLD. But thats literally the only alternative....

And, GD, youll have to explain why the distinction between NSW and ACT is important or even relevent in this context. Functionally it is NSW; this is like arguing whether the Titans are actually a NSW club because they are so close to the border. What is the point of this distinction??

Nerd

Bench

Queensland doesn't challenge Canberra born players being in the NSW team for one simple reason. NSW need all the help they can get come Origin time :p

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Interested to know by what measure you think the nrl ignore canberra? Sure they get relatively few games on FTA but when you consider the main opposition the brumbies get none then its not such a bad deal. What other reasons?

The Great Dane

First Grade
How many players are gonna say "nah, im from Canberra. Dont pick me for origin."???

None, and I never suggested that they would. To them it'd simply be throwing away a large paycheck and the opportunity to progress their careers.

That's why people like myself have been hoping that Queensland or the ARL do something about it because they're the only ones that are in a position to do anything about it.

If you want to make the point of NOT being part of NSW, then ACT people should be eligible for QLD. But thats literally the only alternative....

That's a false dichotomy, and I know that you are smart enough to know that.

There're many other alternatives, players from the ACT could simply just not be eligible for SOO like everybody else outside of QLD and NSW, or you could change the name of the NSW Blues to the NSW/ACT Blues (I personally would hate that to happen, but it is a solution none the less), or you could start an ACT origin team, etc, etc.

And, GD, youll have to explain why the distinction between NSW and ACT is important or even relevent in this context.

Because considering us part of NSW gives the CRL/NSWRL the power to make decisions for and about the ACT and that is a problem because we are not part of NSW and the situation in the ACT is different to the situation in NSW, and fixing the problems in the ACT takes people with an understanding of those differences that rich blokes from Sydney simply don't have (just like rich blokes from Canberra would struggle to fix the problems in Sydney being that they don't understand the issues facing RL in Sydney intimately).

Can you imagine the problems that would be faced if there was no QRL and the NSWRL was trying to run RL in QLD from Sydney, imagine the problems that would cause and the mistakes that would be made because of that situation, well that is basically what is happening in Canberra at the moment but on a smaller scale.

Functionally it is NSW; this is like arguing whether the Titans are actually a NSW club because they are so close to the border. What is the point of this distinction??

No it's not, it's like arguing whether Belgium should be part of France, Germany, or the Netherlands instead of just accepting the fact that despite it being smaller, Belgium is a sovereign nation and should never be part of any of the afore mentioned nations unless Belgium chooses to join one of them themselves

Interested to know by what measure you think the nrl ignore canberra?

Oh all sorts reasons.

They ignore any and all pleas for help from the Raiders to help engage with the ACT government, which gives the ARU, AFL and to a lesser extent FFA a much easier time getting government support while we have to hold our own with much less.

They allow structural disadvantages in the NRL competition that disproportionately effect the Raiders (and a couple of other clubs like the Knights and Titans) to continue instead of introducing simple things like a Juniors cap allowance (among other things) which would get rid of these disadvantages.

They do nothing about the fact the Raiders are the least promoted or publicised club in the media.

Etc, etc, need I go on.

Sure they get relatively few games on FTA but when you consider the main opposition the brumbies get none then its not such a bad deal. What other reasons?

But that's just it, the Brumbies aren't the Raiders main competition!

The Raiders main competition for corporates, sponsors and fans are the Dragons, Bulldogs, Tigers, Rabbiohs, Roosters, etc,etc.

214Four

Juniors
There is quite afew issues with the tigers club at the moment as we all know, I think the biggest areas the club needs to focus on is its professionalism and strengthening of it's brand. An easy way to start making positives turns on these issues is the club to look at how it physically portrays itself to the public, and the easiest way to portray professionalism is with team jerseys, the logo etc, kit supplier.

At the moment the tigers have one of the worst jersey designs in the nrl, and this is the case every year. They keep coming out with kits that look more like touch footy jerseys with no class or heritage to them and it's crazy they're kit designers can keep f**king it up (I no the management also are at fault for this ) when wests tigers have two of the best templates to work off (the balmain and WS jersesys).

My impression of The WT logo, is that it looks outdated and too much American franchise like. The two clubs are foundation clubs but You wouldn't know that looking at the WT logo, it wouldn't look out of place for a team like GWS to be using... Canterbury bulldogs' logo redesign a couple of seasons ago is a perfect example of how to use a clubs history and combine it into something that appeals to today.

Below I did a quick redesign of the WT logo incorporating alittle bit more of both WS and balmain history. What do people think?

980A7B70-9AD7-4B6F-ADF8-D4092B235310_zpscwyvarov.jpg

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Or how about this one?

4BB43C3D-9769-47A4-A52A-109C9D09E447_zpsz31txglc.jpg

Looks a little busy but I like the name change to Western Suburbs or even West Sydney as a name.

The original logos shouldn't be in the shield, they're better off being on the sleeve or below the collar line at the back of the jersey IMO

Replace the American Wests Tigers logo for the original Balmain Tiger and you're on a winner.

The Wests Tigers logo is f**king atrocious.