What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des Hasler

Game_Breaker

Coach
I still don't get this "having little to show for it"?

The back end of this season was garbage but if you put your recency bias of that aside, he's kept us in finals each of the five seasons of his tenure, and we've gone to two grand finals.

Try playing that down all you like but it's a fair record and on the back of it he deserves the chance to turn things around.

We've gone backwards for 3 seasons now, and he's gone way over budget. The playing style is just boring and attack is predictable

No job in the world can allow you to do that without being held accountable. I don't want him sacked, he should be allowed to turn it around.

davi

Juniors
This whole situation looks exactly like ours did when Ivan Cleary left in 2011. GFs appearances where they were never really in the game, and solid - if not spectacular - years of making the 8 in the other years. You can either see it that fans fail to appreciate the luxury of making the 8 every year or that they shouldn't have to put up with a side that clearly doesn't have the chops to win a premiership.

I can see why Dogs fans would be going cold on Des. They've never really looked close to winning a premiership, as the Sharks showed again this year they're won on the back of attacking prowess as well as an air-tight defence. They need to be linked with x-factor in the spine, and quickly.

On the other hand, history tells me as a Warriors fan that you'd want to have a proven alternative lined up if you're going to boot him. Dean Pay? Just be sure he's not Brian McClennan reincarnated.

Its not exactly like Ivan Cleary situation. Cleary at mid-year had another year left on his contract and the Warriors were not traveling well. Cleary asked for the Warriors for a extension on top of the year he had left and the Warriors understandably declined to wait and see how the team traveled. Cleary then asked to be released from his contract at the end of the year to take up an offer with Penrith. The Warriors agreed.

What happened next took everybody off-guard including the pundits. The Warriors went on a secound half surge and made the Grand Final and in hindsight their decision was a complete stuff-up.

The difference from Hasler and the Cleary situation is Hasler hasn't complained about coaching the team without an extension while Cleary did.

ed-grimley

Bench
Too many times the coach gets the blame when there should be a closer look at the playing personnel.
In 2014 I think Dessie did real well to get a patchy team to the GF and be competitive on the day.

Spade

Juniors
Unless they improve that spine over the offseason we'll be fringe 8 again.

Will Hopoate and Brett Morris aren't fullbacks

Josh Reynolds is useless unless we have a quality game controlling halfback which Mbye isn't.

Mbye and Licha are shit.

Spade

Juniors
Too many times the coach gets the blame when there should be a closer look at the playing personnel.
In 2014 I think Dessie did real well to get a patchy team to the GF and be competitive on the day.

It's his team he put together, Hodkinson shits all over Mbye, no way in the world Mbye should have been kept over him and Licha over Ennis... Cmon..

snout

First Grade
The sum of the parts will never meet success at dogs.

Crazy dictator coach with nil communication skills.
Halves who wouldnt know each other if they passed in the street.
Fullback who makes the team 2nd priority and misses major games.
Dummy half who cant pass and takes the positional name literally.
A bunch of forwards who believe other teams fear them for their size and aggression and then decide to come out and play like Preston Campbell.

Snowball in hell.

Canard

Immortal
It's his team he put together, Hodkinson shits all over Mbye, no way in the world Mbye should have been kept over him and Licha over Ennis... Cmon..

He keeps Ennis and gets criticised for not looking to the future.

Can anyone explain what "over budget" means in the NRL?? And why that's the coaches responsibility?? That's a bizzare call.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Its not exactly like Ivan Cleary situation. Cleary at mid-year had another year left on his contract and the Warriors were not traveling well. Cleary asked for the Warriors for a extension on top of the year he had left and the Warriors understandably declined to wait and see how the team traveled. Cleary then asked to be released from his contract at the end of the year to take up an offer with Penrith. The Warriors agreed.

What happened next took everybody off-guard including the pundits. The Warriors went on a secound half surge and made the Grand Final and in hindsight their decision was a complete stuff-up.

The difference from Hasler and the Cleary situation is Hasler hasn't complained about coaching the team without an extension while Cleary did.

Ok, exactly not the word - but it has that feel. Moral of the story being you'd want to be sure there's someone as good or better coming behind Hasler, or the trap door down to the bottom eight can be hard to climb back up into. Especially if you have issues at management/Board level.

It's very similar in that people said over here that Ivan lacked the creativity to get us to a premiership. Same with Hasler. However, they're both very good coaches who probably have lacked major talent in the halves and spine. Not many teams win comps without some sort of firepower from there.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
He keeps Ennis and gets criticised for not looking to the future.

Can anyone explain what "over budget" means in the NRL?? And why that's the coaches responsibility?? That's a bizzare call.

It's the coaches fault when he runs it like its his own private kingdom and can do as he pleases.
One of the triggers for his departure from Manly is that the board dared to call him out on his crazy spending and the fact he answered to no-one.
Dollar Des did not likey and Greenberg promised him autonomy.

Grapple

Bench
Des has created structure (or framework) to the team and club. That structure has made us a stronger team unit, which has enabled players to identify their role and play within their strengths. He has obviously identified players that fit within that structure and added them into the squad.

That structure has indeed led us to become a good (but ultimately not great) playoff team. But equally, it has also inhibited players from stepping outside the boundaries to play a "natural" game of footy.
Players need room to move within that structure, they also need the tools and obvious talent to do so.
I'd say we are lacking those players in key positions, but i'd also add those players we do have don't have seem to have the confidence, or courage, to create opportunities within that framework.

The reason we were an exciting team some years ago was because of our balance.

To give a couple of examples - We had Barba completely uncontainable, and the likes of James Graham's clever passing game, both playing to their strengths, and both within that structure. It also helped that the structure was potent in it's originality, then gradually became diluted over time when teams realised how to contain the big ball playing forwards. We have also lost Barba - who clearly won us many games on his own, and Graham is simply not the same player (though still very good).

The reason we do not get the grand prize, is because we are predictable. Predictable teams get exposed over 26 rounds. The only way out of that predictability is to have certain talent on your team that is willing to risk, to back themselves, which means they will eventually grow, and perhaps their hidden strengths will be exposed. Right now, we don't have the environment to foster that I don't think. It's obviously a tricky thing to balance across the park, but better that we try than end up stagnant.

ed-grimley

Bench
What can you do? You have a pack of forwards who can more than match it but the backs are patchy.
The positives are that you have a competitive forward pack and the team can play for 80 minutes and not fold like other teams do. I used to despise the Dogs but I now admire their gutsy play.

McNulty

Juniors
Fact of the matter is Des has not coped well with changes made after 2014.

Pretty much the week after the NRL gave Souths a premiership the NRL instantly changed the game to lessen the impact of big forwards. They started by speeding up the play the ball.

Des had several years to adapt. He then failed to further adapt to changes to once again quicken the game and destroy big forwards. They reduced the interchange.

He's bone headed and stubborn and kept the style that worked for the Bulldogs in 2012-2014. That is only the tip of the iceberg though.

The Bulldogs are a team that have always prided themselves on bringing through juniors. Some of the best in the comp are playing at other teams.

Currently, the Bullldogs have been gutted in all games. HM through to FG. There are no juniors that you'd say are in the upper bracket of juniors. Our juniors are not getting a look in to rep teams. Outstanding juniors that have been offered to us eg Muster and Mitchell to name a few were knocked back by our recruitment team. A recruitment team installed by Hasler. All roads go through him

You have the over training of players. Players that are given a particular task on the field and are not to deviate from it. Ennis has alluded to this many times that he felt restricted. He is now in career best form at the Sharks and delivered them a premiership.

You have the Tolman settler on the 2,3,4 tackles in the opposition 20. Get the f**king forwards out of the way and let to halves and backs play. Most boring Bulldog team I have seen, ever!

When the halves decided to kick to a winger in our team, they chose 5ft nothing perrett. Not once did they choose to kick to Rona. Surely, there should have been some thought process. Or maybe have Rona and Perrett stand back to back and realise the former has a greater chance of catching and scoring a try. I have no doubt that this is once again Hasler.

Hasler has identified the wrong players. He's made us an unattractive club to go to. Heck, Rona left the Cowboys thinking he was on the up and up. He quickly realised the mistake he made and asked for a release.

Aaaaaan whole Hoppa debacle. How the club could allow that is beyond me? The signing does not strengthen our team in the slightest. How can you have a "star" player choose to sit out a do or die game.

I'd like to say that Hasler is the whole problem, but Auntie Raeleen and Dib are a big part of it too.

davi

Juniors
The latest is the Bulldogs either clean up their offer or Des Hasler is out the door.

"CANTERBURY will need to remove proposed KPIs from coach Des Hasler’s 2018 contract offer if they want him to remain at the club both next season and beyond.

And the Bulldogs have just 17 days to clean-up the contract-saga, or Hasler will become a free-agent who is open to rival club offers, on November 1 — the beginning of rugby league’s financial year.

In the wake of a relationship-testing and exacting week for the proud Canterbury club, time has never been more paramount for a Bulldogs administration who want to extend Hasler to a 2018-2019 contract

The path for Hasler’s contract extension was seemingly made clearer following the emotional decision by club legend Steve Mortimer to stand down from his role as a football club board member.

Mortimer apologised for questioning Hasler’s coaching style in the media, before resigning on Friday.

It’s that decision that has led to the widespread belief that Hasler will now sign-off on a new deal which will keep him at the Bulldogs until 2019.

However, while Hasler has conceded football department changes have been made in the best interests of the club, the sticking point remains Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), which the club were eager to include into the contract extension.

One of those KPIs is a top-four clause, where the club can terminate Hasler’s contract at any point, should the Bulldogs fail to finish inside the top four in 2017."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/01b9d45ac3c9944e78e73f17b2d0ccc8

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm so over the Hopoate debate. He took a massive paycut ffs

Delboy

First Grade
No , the argument is that Hopoate was a free agent as no Contract was registered. He is playing for what the Dogs agreed, including no Sunday footy

McNulty

Juniors
I'm so over the Hopoate debate. He took a massive paycut ffs
What you are sick of is irrelevant.

He does not play semi finals football on Sunday. That is relevant. He could play for free and it would not matter.

Dogs Of War

Coach
What you are sick of is irrelevant.

He does not play semi finals football on Sunday. That is relevant. He could play for free and it would not matter.

Ultimately we have a backup player who can fill in as long as the game is not on a Sunday. That's how I see his role going forward. To be honest, he is not the sort of fullback we need at the club. He'd be fine at centre. Though I would prefer to see how others go first.

Latest posts