What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des Hasler

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Fair enough, I understand that feeling - I don't see who you're going to get that is better tho, and isn't there the Foran - Hasler link?

txta2

Bench
raw

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I'm disappointed. The sensible decision was made on both counts. I'd rather have seen Des on the open market. Would have been funny to watch how many safe coaches would instantly be under pressure over the off-season again. He's a great coach when you let me do it the way he wants, and with a pile of money.

He has the players back. As a fan that sometimes grinds, but he gets results. I'd have him back at Manly in a heart beat. If only to watch him completely piss all over our management again. The reality is they would have to get down on hands and knees to get him back.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This whole situation looks exactly like ours did when Ivan Cleary left in 2011. GFs appearances where they were never really in the game, and solid - if not spectacular - years of making the 8 in the other years. You can either see it that fans fail to appreciate the luxury of making the 8 every year or that they shouldn't have to put up with a side that clearly doesn't have the chops to win a premiership.

I can see why Dogs fans would be going cold on Des. They've never really looked close to winning a premiership, as the Sharks showed again this year they're won on the back of attacking prowess as well as an air-tight defence. They need to be linked with x-factor in the spine, and quickly.

On the other hand, history tells me as a Warriors fan that you'd want to have a proven alternative lined up if you're going to boot him. Dean Pay? Just be sure he's not Brian McClennan reincarnated.

davi

Juniors
I think it doesn't make sense for the Bulldogs to fire him, particularly when you have to pay so much out on the last year of the contract (750 000 -1.2 million). But I wouldn't be in a rush to give him a two year extension. I would wait to see how next season plays out, and some will argue without the extension that puts him in the frame of lame duck status. But if you have a contract to coach then you should coach its as simple as that.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Mortimer should have kept quiet, it would be handy to have board members who can put pressure on Hasler.

I don't think he was ever going to get fired, but he did need to be held accountable for spending 1mill+ over the football budget and having little to show for it

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I still don't get this "having little to show for it"?

The back end of this season was garbage but if you put your recency bias of that aside, he's kept us in finals each of the five seasons of his tenure, and we've gone to two grand finals.

Try playing that down all you like but it's a fair record and on the back of it he deserves the chance to turn things around.

Pakzz

Juniors
Quite shocked with the amount of backlash people have towards Hasler. With much respect to the Mortimer and his legacy within the club, he shouldn't be using his position to influence the make of a team. Let the recruitment team make those decision.

As for Hasler, He has taken the Bulldogs to the play offs numerous amount of time yet people are still not happy. He has been able to introduce a unique brand of Football where each player poses a threat in attack from the backs to the forwards.

He may have been caught out this year with the changes to the interchange however he still manage to make it to the playoffs.

Come on guys his track record speaks for itself.

"You WIN some you LOSE some."

Canard

Immortal
I'm no fan of Dollar Des, but he would have the best record of ANY NRL coach in the last decade surely???