What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des to join Bulldogs in 2013

Tommax25

Bench
Maybe about Rose but Gulavau was awesome for you guys and awesome for us. He's still a good player and was pretty disappointed we didn't hold on to him.

I agree, but I just expected doggiesbrah, one-eyed as he is, to come back with "brooooooo, no way gulavau is old aas, hasn't been good since '03 bro, do you forget that the doggie bro have gary wharburton????!?!?!??!?!1?!1/1?" or some such shit because he isn't a big name like Stewart, Lyon ect who he couldn't possibly argue against.

Tommax25

Bench
As for your last comment doesnt Halatau have one from Tigers? LOL gee good point, while we are it lets go find shane perry!

Nice dodge. Thought we were comparing this years Manly to Bulldogs. I didn't see Halatau on the dias at the end of the game Sunday :?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You have to look at this from the perspective of the CEO's. Neither club wants to write off 2012 and if the status quo remains as is, both teams will struggle next year.

Hasler needs to go now and Manly either promote Toovey or start looking for a new coach ASAP. There is too much at stake financially to have 2012 as a caretaker year for either club.

It will be farcical if Hasler remains at Manly in 2012 and it will do a lot of harm to their short to mid term future by keeping him there.

I'll be shocked if tomorrow's press conference doesn't reveal that Hasler will coach the Dogs in 2012. I'd say it's almost a certainty.

Completely agree. We all know how poorly it goes when a coach loses the dressing room - how are the players going to play all season (and from the start) when they know the same guy isn't there the following year? It doesn't work.

Manly would be back to square one in 2013, whereas now they can look to build with a new coach, with a premiership-winning squad, etc.

The Dogs will be an utter rabble if Dymock coaches them for one year in 2012. In fact I'd put money on them getting the spoon. Awful situation for him too, to coach a bunch of guys who are probably just clock-watching, waiting for Des to turn up.

Tommax25

Bench
I agree re Ballin & Ennis. I would take Ballin in a heart beat. Ennis has regressed since 09.
Stagg would also be the last 2nd rower I would pick. He tackles a lot but that is about it.
Josh Morris over Matai
Stewart is a better all round player ATM but know one finds a try line like Barba.
I reckon DCE will be better than Hodko but Hodko also had an outstanding first year - that one remains to be seen
lol Rose. i would take Brad Morrin over him. Any one of Kasiano, Eastwood, Payne would walk into a front row over him

Matai over Morris on this years form any day of the week. No arguement. Matai was huge, nominated for centre of the year, cleaned up his game a bit ect. Personally I would take Matai at his best over Morris at his best as well but thats more personal preference.

I like Stagg. I like having a worker in the team. That could just be my personal preference creeping in but meh.

DCE had a much better year this year, and as you say I think DCE will end up the better player after both finish their careers.

Stewart has something like 115 tries in 140 games and is as you say a better all round player. I don't think Barba has that much of a better try scoring rate, if any, to pick him over Stewart.

Maybe I was being biased with Rose. Still, I'd take him over them, although maybe not Eastwood playing at his best, which he hasn't been.

Tommax25

Bench
Please god not Stuart. Anyone but him. Toovey. Take Dymock from the dogs in exchange. Georgallis. A coach of a pommy club. Rick Stone. Get Lang out of retirement. MATT f**kING ELLIOT. Anyone.

Patorick

Staff member
Please god not Stuart. Anyone but him. Toovey. Take Dymock from the dogs in exchange. Georgallis. A coach of a pommy club. Rick Stone. Get Lang out of retirement. MATT f**kING ELLIOT. Anyone.
Ivan Henjak?

I agree, but I just expected doggiesbrah, one-eyed as he is, to come back with "brooooooo, no way gulavau is old aas, hasn't been good since '03 bro, do you forget that the doggie bro have gary wharburton????!?!?!??!?!1?!1/1?" or some such shit because he isn't a big name like Stewart, Lyon ect who he couldn't possibly argue against.

hahahaha doggiesbrah.

that's totally what he sounds like. he's like the haynetrain of dogs supporters.

Big Pete

Referee
Habitual Linestepper said:
Ben Roberts isn't the best player going around but he is sure as shit a lot better than the options you're left with. Why was it that you started playing your best whenever he was on the field.

What?!

They only one game with him at five eigth, and that was against your mob in that dire golden point game.

Some of the Parramatta comments made in this thread have been hilarious.

What?!

They only one game with him at five eigth, and that was against your mob in that dire golden point game.

Some of the Parramatta comments made in this thread have been hilarious.

Since when dyou have to start to play?

Whenever he was on the field they looked a lot better, anyone could see that. Whether he was coming on at standoff or hooker. He was the only half they had capable of giving their outside backs the ball with any time or space. There's a reason some dogs fans were asking themselves why they signed Keating and let Roberts go. Not that any would admit now mind you.

And i think calling that game dire is being generous, it was like watching a union game without lineouts.

Big Pete

Referee
Habitual Linestepper said:
And i think calling that game dire is being generous, it was like watching a union game without lineouts.

:lol: Nice.

But even so, in the games he played off the bench he played something like seen minutes are barely contributed at all. Saying he rescued them is a laugh - he barely strung 2 or 3 good plays together all season and more than made up for it with 2 or 3 bad.

Personally, I'd take Hodkinson over him any day of the week.

Not sure about Keating, he's basically just as bad, but in a different way.

BunniesMan

Immortal
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-their-contracts/story-e6frexnr-1226161610842

Seems Des doesn't have a very good relationship with some of the higherups at Manly. And that even more important than his personal salary is the resources Canterbury has:

There was speculation yesterday that major sponsor Kaspersky was poised to tip in some additional money to keep Hasler at Brookvale, but it won't change his mind.
Hasler is attracted to the resources on offer at the cashed-up Bulldogs. Known for his scientific and meticulous approach to the game, he feels he has the resources to take the Belmore club to the top.

:lol: Nice.

But even so, in the games he played off the bench he played something like seen minutes are barely contributed at all. Saying he rescued them is a laugh - he barely strung 2 or 3 good plays together all season and more than made up for it with 2 or 3 bad.

Personally, I'd take Hodkinson over him any day of the week.

Not sure about Keating, he's basically just as bad, but in a different way.

He got minutes when someone was tired or injured, come on, it's not like they're gonna give extreme minutes to a player that has already signed for a different club. I agree, rescued wasn't the right word.

But he shits on Keating from a great height and no one can deny that they looked like a way better team whenever he was on instead of the greedy, ginger muppet.

f**k, i can't even remember how we got to the point of talking about Ben Roberts in a Hasler thread. No doubt i started it :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Habbitual Linestepper said:
But he shits on Keating from a great height and no one can deny that they looked like a way better team whenever he was on instead of the greedy, ginger muppet.

And considering their best run occured without Roberts in the side I'd have to disagree.

A Roberts/Sandow combination seems destined for disaster.

And considering their best run occured without Roberts in the side I'd have to disagree.

A Roberts/Sandow combination seems destined for disaster.

Did they have a best run?

You're right, i can't see how it's gonna work. But it's sure as shit better than what we have had for the last 2-3 years (Mortimer, Robson, McGuire). As long as teams have to put some of their efforts into defending either of those two then it will open up more space for Hayne, which is probably part of the reason they got someone like Roberts.

Anyway, we are heading off track and i'm assuming a Roberts/Sandow thread will pop up at some stage during the offseason so maybe we should leave it till then.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-their-contracts/story-e6frexnr-1226161610842

Seems Des doesn't have a very good relationship with some of the higherups at Manly. And that even more important than his personal salary is the resources Canterbury has:

Hmmm. Good to have the technology when you've got Lyon, the Stewarts, Watmough, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Hopoate etc. Now use the technology on the Bulldogs rabble.
Don't expect miracles people. Wil take about 3 years to get them into shape....

MsStorm

Bench
what another f**king joke!

it's absolutely farcical how this is such a regular occurrence in the NRL with players and coaches alike.

It's was bad enough that players are officially allowed to sign contracts with other clubs, or the clubs themselves permitted to release details on signings for future seasons when a current season isn't even over. Now the trend is for players to sign with other clubs for future seasons before the final one of their existing contract has even begun.

But for coaches to follow suit is absolutely abysmal. They are the leaders of a football organisation. It is to them that the whole of the football dept look to for commitment, the practical demonstration of culture and goal objectives. What sort of message does this send to the playing group and the rest of the club when they are effectively saying that they have no interest in the long-term welfare of the joint anymore? Ownership their goals as the goals of the playing group is now unachievable. If i were a player at Manly, my respect for him is gone. He'll be gone in a year so my career isn't dependant on him. Furthermore, the Manly club will need to be concerned about Des taking players with him to Canterbury.

Manly are up shit creek. They haven't got the money to pay him out of his final year and Des knows this, but not sacking him now will result in a wasted year next season and will tear the club apart and have an impact for several seasons thereafter. Given the particular circumstances Manly have off-field already and they should be concerned. Mark my words, this will end ugly for Manly. This situation never works out, whether it be in sport or any other industry. Complacency within the football dept will set in.

What does this say to the Canterbury players too? What does Dymock have to prove? They're effectively looking to 2013 and stated right here and now to Canterbury fans and the rugby league world that they're not competing for a premiership 2012. The club is in caretaker mode for the next year.

I cant believe such circumstances are practiced and accepted in rugby league. Lack of commitment to an organisation in any other sport or industry, or even worse, any scrap of evidence of future allegiance to a competitor and your arse is out the door. Not in the NRL though. As usual, rugby league shows how totally unprofessional and backward it is.

Great post and shows another Amateur Hour in rugby league.