What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des to join Bulldogs in 2013

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
Times like this i just hate rugby league. ....Looks like my team is going to be torn apart by the usual superleague suspects.
urghhhh

bennoonthehill

Juniors
this whole situation is f**king heartbreaking. not even a week after we won a GF for f**ks sake. for all the quality on the field over the last 5 years, we'd be better off having my 3 year old running the ship than this utterly contemptible rabble we call a board.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'll be honest... if this is indeed confirmed at 10am, despite my dislike for the club I feel sorry for Manly. The fallout from the Grand Final seems to me to just be unfair on a club that achieved such success.

Immediately following the Grand Final it moved to Stewart v Gallop, that died down and Hopoate moved to Parramatta, and now the Des debacle is coming to a head.

I can relate to negative media coverage surrounding my club, I just hope it doesn't go the same way as we did post-2004.

innsaneink

Referee
I'll be honest... if this is indeed confirmed at 10am, despite my dislike for the club I feel sorry for Manly. The fallout from the Grand Final seems to me to just be unfair on a club that achieved such success.

Immediately following the Grand Final it moved to Stewart v Gallop, that died down and Hopoate moved to Parramatta, and now the Des debacle is coming to a head.

I can relate to negative media coverage surrounding my club, I just hope it doesn't go the same way as we did post-2004.
Its called karma.....rememeber, we all hate them and they dont care

innsaneink

Referee
Oh well ...Manly have done this to other clubs so often in the past - stewart/gallop, stewart/gallop, hoppa, hasler, happy premiership LOL

would suck bigtime going from winning a GF to 2 days later losing one of your junior stars and then 3 days later losing your coach who built the club to what they are and then there are about 5 players with get out clauses if the coach leaves. all in the space of about 6 days. They really should be still enjoying the GF win.
I guess the board has really pissed of Hasler and co or they would have waited a few weeks before doing this.
The mail is strong that manly will ask Hasler to leave now and he'll coach the Dogs next year.

Timmah

Staff member
CONFIRMED. Hasler 2013, Dymock 2012. Dymock will then continue as assistant from 2013.

If Foran is one of the players with a get out clause and he does want to go - surely he would go to the Warriors and Maloney will return to Australia.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
If Foran is one of the players with a get out clause and he does want to go - surely he would go to the Warriors and Maloney will return to Australia.

i think he would follow des, he said he doesnt want to play under anyone but des and the dogs would have plenty to throw at him!

1. Barba
6. Foran
7. Hodkinson
9. Ennis (C)

what a spine for years to come!

Timmah

Staff member
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=22078

Jim Dymock to lead in 2012; Des Hasler signs on for 2013

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have secured the long term direction of the Club's football program with dual Premiership winning coach Des Hasler signing on as head coach of the Club commencing in 2013.

Current caretaker coach Jim Dymock has been rewarded for his success in the role since July by being appointed head coach for the 2012 season.

Dymock will then take on the role of assistant coach under Hasler from 2013 onwards.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer Todd Greenberg says Hasler's decision to link with the Club on a four year deal, and Dymock's commitment to lead in the interim, is a strong endorsement of the Bulldogs' future direction.

“The signing of Des Hasler as Head Coach of the Bulldogs commencing in 2013 is a significant step in the life of the Club,” Greenberg says.

“This move, together with the decision to give Jim Dymock the next 12 months to make his mark as a head coach, is all about giving our football program a long term focus, vision and structure.

“The sustained success we seek can only come with an approach that is all encompassing. The signing of Des Hasler is a decision that will have a positive and immediate impact on the Club at every level, and in the years that follow.

“We are delighted to present Jim Dymock with the opportunity to coach the side in 2012. He is a quality person and a great coach. We have been in constant discussions with Jim and I'd like to thank him for his honesty, understanding, and ultimately his commitment throughout the process.

“We know that Jim relishes this opportunity and he will do everything he can to lead the Bulldogs back into the Finals next season.

“In that same vein, we are also delighted that one of the best coaches of the modern era sees enough promise and opportunity to commit to coaching the Bulldogs starting in 2013.

50 year-old Hasler, who led the Sea Eagles to their third Grand Final and second Premiership in his eight years as head coach on Sunday against the New Zealand Warriors, says he's looking forward to the challenge of coaching the Bulldogs.

Dymock, who prepared the Bulldogs to five wins from seven games following the mid-season departure of Kevin Moore, says he is looking forward to the opportunity that lay ahead.

“I am ecstatic to have been given the opportunity to be a head coach,” Dymock says.

“I enjoyed the role since taking control of the team and I'm confident that we will have success in 2012. We've been working very hard over the past month to get ready for pre-season, we'll be in a new state of the art facility at Belmore and will have some fresh faces around the place from November 1.

“I'm also relishing the opportunity to work with Des from 2013, he is one of the best coaches in the game and I know I will become a better coach as a result of working with him.

“This is a tremendous coup for the Club”

ozjet1

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...h-was-allowed-to-get-away-20111007-1ldki.html

Sea Eagles faithful can only wonder how title-winning coach was allowed to get away
Adrian Proszenko
October 8, 2011

WHEN Des Hasler channelled his inner Jerry Maguire and told a roomful of Manly figures to ''show him the money'' at Le Kiosk on Thursday, nobody chuckled louder than those charged with retaining him.
Given that Hasler went into the 2011 season on a contract worth just $450,000, it's little wonder he wanted a new deal that reflected his status as a dual premiership winner.
Until yesterday morning, Sea Eagles officials believed they had delivered it - a rich three-year extension. The base contract alone was worth just under double what he was on, but with performance clauses Hasler stood to earn more than a $1 million next year if he could guide his side to back-to-back titles. No clipboard holder, with the exception of Wayne Bennett, can command more.
Advertisement: Story continues below
On Tuesday night, chairman Scott Penn and Phil Sidney from the club's other major stakeholder, Quantum, believed they had their man. They met Hasler earlier in the day, and had reached his asking price. They were under the impression that it was a done deal. Only the finer details needed to be thrashed out, and it was expected Hasler would meet them yesterday or today, ballpoint in hand, to sign the deal.
Unbeknown to all on the northern beaches, however, the Bulldogs were at work. In a stunning twist, Canterbury officials snuck under Manly's guard, and the 49-year-old will head to Belmore in 2013 - even earlier if the Sea Eagles decide his position is now untenable. So how did Manly let Hasler slip from their grasp?
When former CEO Graham Lowe stepped down for health reasons, a subcommittee was formed to negotiate Hasler's contract extension. It comprised Penn, Damian Smith from the Leagues Club board and Quantum's Drew Townsend. Hasler had signed on for next season but held off on a longer-term deal. As the months rolled on, Manly's star - and Hasler's asking price - soared. As one official lamented yesterday: ''We could have got him for $600,000 three months ago.'' Meanwhile, newly appointed chief operating officer, David Perry, was grappling with other pressing issues, including the fallout from DonnyBrookvale and Zorbagate, and delivering to the board a long-term strategic plan in an attempt to stem the club's losses.
It can be revealed that as far back as April 21, a Sea Eagles board meeting resolved that Hasler's contract should be extended until the end of 2014. ''Why that wasn't acted upon, you'll probably get different stories,'' an insider said.
Throughout the Hasler retention process, Bob Reilly's position has been unequivocal. The chairman of the Manly district and leagues club - which owns 22 per cent of the entire organisation - has pushed for Hasler's retention to be top priority. He made his stance public on September 23 when he sent out an email to his 22,000 members which stated: '' support the extension of Des Hasler's contract to coach the Sea Eagles.''
Asked yesterday why the deal never eventuated, Reilly said: ''You would have to ask the chairman. He's been the only [one] that seems to have been in dialogue with the coach.''
Penn, who met yesterday with federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott to discuss funding for Brookvale Oval, was unavailable for comment.
Bulldogs officials and their Manly counterparts could not be contacted last night, although Canterbury are expected to make an official announcement today. The timing allowed Hasler to explain his decision to his players, staff and the board at the club's awards night at Miramare Gardens at Terrey Hills last night.
According to Manly's official Twitter page, Hasler told the crowd last night: ''2011 will be forever remembered as the year of the Sea Eagles, wouldn't it be great to do back to back.''
Asked if Hasler could coach the Sea Eagles after pledging his allegiance elsewhere, Lowe said: ''That's totally down to Des and the club, but if there is going to be a change … it's probably better sooner than later.''
Former Manly co-owner Max Delmege said: ''Des is entitled to go where he wants to go. He's been great for Manly, he's the coach that's got us to three grand finals, we've won two premierships, and I couldn't thank him any more.''
Despite the news, TAB Sportsbet retained Manly as $7 favourites for next year's title.

as its own coach, manly were in the box seat and had plenty of chances but really balls it up if true. politics and personal relationships getting in the way up there.

but he's jumped ship now. canterbury is where his long term interests lay.

logically, he has to go. but if manly release/sack him, then canterbury get their man sooner and manly look like owned bitches in all of this. will they beat their chests for short-time pride? or will they think about the long-term ramifications of the club?

Last edited:

Evenflow

Bench
LOL @ the likes of Firechild and ceagle :lol:

Talk about going from chocolates to boiled lollies in less than a week. Manly had ample chance to sign him but they just didn't seal what should've been the inevitable deal so it serves themselves right. I have the feeling it'll be a decision that will haunt them for many years to come. Only time will tell.

shiznit

Coach
an interesting take on all of this...

I heard Graham Lowe on radio live yesterday talking about the situation... he was the Manly CEO up until halfway through this season and is manly through and through...

he didn't have too much good things to say about some individuals in the background at the club. he didn't name any names but he didn't sound too surprised that everything has blown up since the sacking of peter peters.

but one thing REALLY interesting he said was about the 'Dessie' clauses in players contracts... Lowie said that the players may not be able to leave even if they wanted to... because alot of those clauses were put in place if Hasler is sacked.

he said if Hasler resign's from his position and manly accept his resignation or if Hasler see's out the end of his contract with Manly then those clauses may not be able to be used...

i thought that was really interesting.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I notice Phil Rothfolds claimed an exclusive on the Bulldogs sounding out Hasler and the fact it was pretty much a done deal.

He obviously listens to Graeme Hughes on 2SM's Talkin Sport intently because that's where the story was broken in the media.

Rothfelds continues to stoop lower and lower.

How low can you get? Claiming scoops that weren't yours lol