What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dinner Ale better half than Nico.

It's going to come down to heart and guts now, can this team drag themselves up, or fold like a deck of cards

Frailty

First Grade
The team was struggling with Nicho - but not really because of Nicho.

- Brailey is allergic to playing with the football. Just likes to pass from dummy half - that's it.
- The game plan seems to ignore what worked. Instead of giving the ball to Kennedy sweeping on backline movements they go short to Nikora, Talakai. It's no coincidence that our centres and wingers have effectively been taken out of the game.
- The forwards just seems down on desperation, fitness, and form. Rudolf and BHU can't keep fit. Hazleton is regressing back to the norm. Hunt doesn't seem to be play damaging style anymore.

carinashark

First Grade
The team was struggling with Nicho - but not really because of Nicho.

- Brailey is allergic to playing with the football. Just likes to pass from dummy half - that's it.
- The game plan seems to ignore what worked. Instead of giving the ball to Kennedy sweeping on backline movements they go short to Nikora, Talakai. It's no coincidence that our centres and wingers have effectively been taken out of the game.
- The forwards just seems down on desperation, fitness, and form. Rudolf and BHU can't keep fit. Hazleton is regressing back to the norm. Hunt doesn't seem to be play damaging style anymore.
When Nicho returns move DA to hooker. We need to revitalise our attack. Times up BB.

Reactions: PJ

Eion

First Grade
If BB keeps on the trajectory of improvement that we’ve seen this year and Nicho finds his mojo baby yeah, then add a gun front rower and we’re all good.
I think we saw with berrell that you can’t just chuck a bloke in at hooker. BBs service is a million times better than berrells, dinner would need to do some serious off season work and even then it’d be a miracle if he gets up to standard.

PJ

First Grade
BB is not the answer.

He is an above average defender, but with worrying lapses. His service is very good but that is what he is there for.

He offers nothing in attack, and imo is a handbreak in the opposition 20

R-15-3

Bench
He was shit till tricky went off then looked more comfortable doing it all on his own like in the Melbourne game.

Agreed.
I was never a Tracey fan but I’d have him over DA any day of the week.
I like him. Wasn't distraught or anything when we let him go as I know he's no star but there's just something about the way he plays I admire. Tough little bugger.

DA is not available for Rookie of the Year because he had a cameo of 7 mins for The Storm 3 years ago.

A little known rule has dashed Daniel Atkinson’s dreams of winning the Dally M Rookie of The Year award, writes David Riccio. See the contenders and have your say on who should win.

A seven-minute cameo for the Storm three-years ago will cost Daniel Atkinson any hope of being named Dally M Rookie of the Year.
The Sharks Mr Fix-It has proven a revelation this season, helping propel Cronulla’s top-four claims which continues against St George-Illawarra at WIN Stadium on Sunday.
Holding the fort for the injury-ravaged Sharks, particularly in the absence of playmaker Nicho Hynes, Atkinson’s ice cool temperament to sink sideline conversions and golden-point field goals has earned him justified praise across the rugby league landscape.
The qualified carpenter has come from obscurity in 2024, amassing 14 NRL games for the Sharks, prompting suggestions the 23-year-old’s breakout season is worthy of Dally M honours.
However, Atkinson’s one and only appearance for the Storm in the lock position with seven-minutes remaining, ironically against the Sharks, in round 25, 2021 deems him ineligible for rookie of the year contention.
Under NRL rules, any player who has a gap of two years or more between their first and second NRL game, will no longer be considered a rookie.
Atkinson’s second NRL game - three years after his first match - was in round four this season.

The omission of Atkinson will elevate the prospects of Manly’s Lehi Hopoate, Parramatta’s Blaize Talagi, Melbourne’s Sua Fa’alogo, Canberra’s Ethan Strange, The Dolphins Jack Bostock and Sharks centre Kayal Iro.
Wests Tigers rising star Lachlan Galvin and Dolphins hooker Max Plath are ineligible after being suspended this season.
Even without the privileged gong, Atkinson is enjoying a season to behold.
What hasn’t been told is how the 23-year-old originally found his way to Cronulla on a deal worth $80,000 and how after just one training session, head coach Craig Fitzgibbon knew he had a player.
“We were playing a game at training and he kicked the ball down field and he sprints past everyone, he arrives at the bouncing ball at the southern end of PointsBet Stadium completely uncontested, there’s no one else around him and he just launches himself at the ball to score and blows his AC joint in his shoulder, because all he wanted to do was score the try,” Fitzgibbon said.
“He’s been that competitor ever since.”

The reason for Atkinson’s original recruitment to the Sharks came in the wake of rugby sevens recruit Lachlan Miller moving from Cronulla to Newcastle in January, 2023.
Having spent time at the Storm and in the QLD Cup at just 21, Atkinson’s ability to play a number of positions pricked the ears of the Sharks.
As unlikely as it sounds, the Sharks recruitment team also found a speckle of shine in a 66-6 loss that Atkinson endured while playing centre for Italy against Australian in the 2022 World Cup.
“Moons and I watched the video of him playing for Italy and while the scoreline wasn’t flattering, we thought he did a solid job marking up on Valentine Holmes,” Fitzgibbon said.
“We had been following his journey from the Storm to the QLD Cup and liked what he was about.”
While Atkinson has steered the Sharks at halfback, he’s also played NRL and NSW Cup at hooker, lock, five-eighth, wing and fullback - the latter of which, good judges suggest suits his game most.
With Hynes improving every day ahead of his comeback from a serious foot injury, Atkinson’s role in leading the Sharks will be boosted by the return of fellow half Braydon Trindall against the Dragons.

The seven minute cameo that dashed rookie’s Dally M dream

Chimp

Bench
Is Iro eligible for rookie of the year? Not been mentioned anywhere in the media, but I’d say he’s easily been the most consistent rookie (if he is eligible) across the NRL.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Is Iro eligible for rookie of the year? Not been mentioned anywhere in the media, but I’d say he’s easily been the most consistent rookie (if he is eligible) across the NRL.
He was mentioned in the above media article LOL

He won't win it. Atko wouldn't have won it.

It'll be one of the fast, flashy, little box office players that wins it.

coolumsharkie

Referee
He was mentioned in the above media article LOL

He won't win it. Atko wouldn't have won it.

It'll be one of the fast, flashy, little box office players that wins it.
He's been so good for us though, and looks to be a handy utility player next year I reckon.