What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

kmav23

Juniors
This is an absolute disgrace!!!

Has to be the worse things i have heard a player do.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rodigy-on-redemption-road-20110405-1d2yd.html

MORE than seven years after committing a ''disgusting and abhorrent'' crime that appeared to have ended a career that showed its promise when he became the Warriors' youngest ever first-grade player, Shaun Metcalf has been given a second chance.
The 23-year-old centre, who was sentenced to 18 months in jail in 2004 after he and teammates Geoffrey Ruaporo and Kyle Donovan lured his then 15-year-old former girlfriend to a park where she was repeatedly kicked in the stomach in an attempt to cause a miscarriage, this week joined the Warriors' full-time squad after signing a two-year NRL contract.
The deal could mean Metcalf plays for the Warriors as early as next week.
Advertisement: Story continues below
As a 16-year-old, Metcalf scored two tries in a pre-season trial against St George Illawarra in Hamilton in 2004 after being given an NRL debut by coach Daniel Anderson, who provided a character reference at his trial.
Social justice advocate and author Celia Lashlie believes that Metcalf, who fought his way back into league after leaving jail, and has had a travel ban to Australia lifted, can achieve much more.
''If he has come to truly understand the magnitude of what he did, he has the potential to become an extraordinary man,'' said Lashlie, who recommended in 2005 the NZRL allow him to resume playing as it would help him to rehabilitate. ''I think he has the capacity to lead the way out and be an extraordinary role model who has learnt from his mistake.
''We can all get caught up in the emotional image of young men booting a young woman in the stomach to cause her to abort her baby, but these were two young people … she got pregnant, he was way out of his depth, and he did a really cruel and dumb thing.
''He was caught in the moment, and what he did was the equivalent of a young man putting a noose around his neck because his girlfriend tossed him out. He has to be allowed to move forward and put his life together, and I think the ability of the NRL and the Warriors to take this young man in and help him do that is role modelling and something they should get credit for.''
However, the victim, who gave birth to a baby girl four months later, and her family are unlikely to feel the same way. They objected to Metcalf being released to home detention after five months in Wellington's Rimutaka Prison and the NZRL's decision to let him return to the game.
''I went and met them because I wanted them to hear the decision first-hand, and for me it was a truly moving experience to see this beautiful little baby,'' former NZRL chairman Selwyn Pearson said. ''They didn't agree, they didn't think he should be allowed to play again, and I could understand that. What he did was disgusting and abhorrent but you don't get life for murder, and I consulted a lot of experts who all said that the best thing for the boy in terms of his rehabilitation was to get back into sport.''
Metcalf has played for a number of clubs in New Zealand since his release and been a regular member of the Vulcans, but until Australian immigration lifted his entry ban he thought his dream of an NRL career was over.
"I'm not proud of my past, and I never will be,'' said Metcalf, who has six-year-old twins with his long-time partner. ''I can't do anything about that now but what I can do something about, and what I've been trying to do ever since, is to rebuild my life and get it back on track.''
Pearson said he had kept a close eye on Metcalf's rehabilitation.
''He has shown incredible remorse over the years,'' he said. ''Even now - eight years later - he is always saying what a a terrible thing he did, and if he could take it back he would. It doesn't excuse what he did, but if the game can put a young kid like him back on the right path that has got to be a massive achievement

skeepe

Immortal
It was 8 years ago, and he's paid his debt to society.

What more do you want? I don't like what he did any more than you do, but he's done the crime, he's done the time, and I see no reason not to allow him back.

rabbitohs

Juniors
He has done his time and deserves another chance. Too young to have his whole life detroyed by a stupid stupid and disgusting act. Everyone deserves a second chance once punished. Lets hope he shows that he deserves it.

perverse

Referee
it's a nasty one. on one hand, i firmly believe everyone deserves a second chance and that people, especially teenagers, do very stupid things without realising the gravity or repercussions of their actions.

on the other hand, it is a completely abominable, grotesque act.

thusly, i'm not sure where i stand on this one. the guy should be able to get on with his life, but i'm not sure if that courtesy stretches as far as representing a team in the NRL.

JoeD

First Grade
He was 15 at the time. People who say the NRL shouldn't let him play, would you feel the same if your bank hired him as a teller?

If I was an NRL club owner, boss, coach or even player I wouldn't want this bloke at my club. And I think anyone who would shows a level of immorality that is truly dispicable. I don't care how young he was or how long ago it was. I hope someone kicks the sh*t out of him one day. Five months in jail is disgustingly insufficient.

I see no problem with giving him a 2nd chance.
Was his crime,a terrible despicible act?.Yes.
Does he have to live with what he did for the rest of his life?.Yes.
BUT...he was a teenager..young stupid,like most are....
If he had did the same thing when he was mid 20s ..it would be slightly different..
By that age you are supposed to be mature enough to make the right decisions..
I hope he has straightened himself out & can make a success of his life.

perverse

Referee
If I was an NRL club owner, boss, coach or even player I wouldn't want this bloke at my club. And I think anyone who would shows a level of immorality that is truly dispicable. I don't care how young he was or how long ago it was. I hope someone kicks the sh*t out of him one day. Five months in jail is disgustingly insufficient.
i wish things were this black and white in my reality.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A disgraceful and shameful act that should have been given a much tougher sentence at the time. But it wasn't and the individual now has the right to continue his career.

I won't be cheering for him.

HE SERVED FIVE MONTHS!

How has he "paid his debt"?

If the NRL had any balls whatsoever, and if there was any decency left in rugby league at all, they would come out now and say this bloke won't be allowed register with the NRL. Make a f**king statement. This cime is dusgusting and the punishment disgracefully inadequate. The only statement this currently makes is that rugby league is a game for criminals and thugs and perpetuates the stereotype that people involved in the game have no respect for women, or humanity itself in this case.

Fortunately for this piece of scum the NRL has no balls and RL is only too happy to prove its scummy, bogan reputation is fully justified.

Red Bear

Referee
Yeah, this is pretty disgraceful. Should've had a longer period of time behind bars and shouldnt really have come back into NRL calculations.

There's petty crime and there's a cowardly attack on a pregnant woman, just disgusting and not the message you want the NRL sending out

skeepe

Immortal
HE SERVED FIVE MONTHS!

How has he "paid his debt"?

By serving his sentence in full. Whether you agree with the sentence or not is not Metcalf's fault.

If the NRL had any balls whatsoever, and if there was any decency left in rugby league at all, they would come out now and say this bloke won't be allowed register with the NRL. Make a f**king statement. This cime is dusgusting and the punishment disgracefully inadequate. The only statement this currently makes is that rugby league is a game for criminals and thugs and perpetuates the stereotype that people involved in the game have no respect for women, or humanity itself in this case.

Fortunately for this piece of scum the NRL has no balls and RL is only too happy to prove its scummy, bogan reputation is fully justified.

It happened 7 years ago. He finished his sentence, what, 6 years ago? Are you saying that the NRL should ban everyone with a criminal record from playing? Or only certain crimes on said record? If so, where do you draw the line?

Should Jason Williams have been banned for life?

Fingerbang

Bench
A lot of people in the game DO have no respect for women.

Why should this guy have his contract knocked back by the NRL when Benny Elias was allowed to play on for as long as he wanted?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like some people have more issues with the legal system than the NRL.

I do think the NRL are sending the wrong signals to the public by allowing this guy back into the game.

perverse

Referee
I guess it comes down to morals and it's clear to see who has them and who doesn't.
wishing that a bloke who made a grievous error in judgement as a teenager wouldn't be able to pursue his dreams or career ambitions is immoral, in my opinion, too.

skeepe

Immortal
I guess it comes down to morals and it's clear to see who has them and who doesn't.

:lol:

Oh East Coast Tiger, the great moral crusader.

Give me a break.

Step down off your oh so high and mighty pedestal, oh great crusader, and please, please tell me that you never made a single mistake when you were 16. Never did one single thing that you have regretted later in life. It doesn't have to be anywhere near as abhorrent as what Metcalf did, just something that you wish you hadn't done.

When you're done telling me that you've never, ever made a mistake in your life, you can climb the mountain back up to your oh so holy pedestal. Say hi to Fred Nile for me when you get there.