What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

armchaircritic

Juniors
A few good comments made in the Warriors forum on this subject.

I would rather he joined another club tbh. Im very undecided on the issue.

I see it as a good thing as it shows he is moving on with his life, he can be viewed somewhat as a role model (Probably not the best term) for other troubled teens that they too can move one with their life after prison.

However it was a truly terrible act, one the victim & her child will live with every day. One part of me would be happy to never see him on a footy field.

Danish

Referee
exactly. what metcalf did, and drink driving are one and the same (not as such, but for the sake of argument) - "attempted murder".

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The bloke purposely got a gang of dickheads together, cornered his pregnant girlfriend and kicked the christ out of her.

Hopefully karma gets hold of him like it has Anthony Cherrington and gives him a few serious knee injuries over the next few years.

Fingerbang

Bench
yeah, that's why i put it in the quotation marks. it's a small stretch, but if you knowingly drive drunk, knowing the risks and increased chances of killing someone, it's not the biggest stretch to say it's attempting to harm someone.

still a stretch, but it's less geniused than some of the arguments floating around in here.
More than likely a charge of manslaughter, or accidental manslaughter.

Johns Magic

Referee
Dr Crane said:
yeah, that's why i put it in the quotation marks. it's a small stretch, but if you knowingly drive drunk, knowing the risks and increased chances of killing someone, it's not the biggest stretch to say it's attempting to harm someone.

still a stretch, but it's less geniused than some of the arguments floating around in here.
Haha, I can see what you are saying, but drink-driving would fall under the reckless(dumb) category whereas what Metcalf did is definitely intent(evil).

I can't draw the same long bow.

Dazraider

Juniors
Someone who commits that kind of offense should be shot or hanged and not allowed to even live and as for allowing him to get his life back in order is a joke and he should be punished for life as they wont terminate this idiot.
No person should be forgiven for such an horendous crime and as society is too soft on these kind no wonder the world will get worse and more dangerous to live in as criminals got it easy and once a crim always a crim.
Hope he breaks his neck while playing and ends up in a wheel chair then for Karma to get back at this thing.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Haha, I can see what you are saying, but drink-driving would fall under the reckless(dumb) category whereas what Metcalf did is definitely intent(evil).

yeah.

but ultimately though, i've caught other articles that suggest he's made a serious effort to turn his life around, and as disgusting as his act was, he should get a second chance. i was very, very opposed to him being allowed to waltz back into rugby league almost as soon as his jail term was over, but surely seven years later she should be allowed another go.

some of the moralistic wankers in here are a great example of why people can fall into a life of crime. one f**k up, they get blacklisted by any employer and what else can they do with themselves.

skeepe

Immortal
Someone who commits that kind of offense should be shot or hanged and not allowed to even live and as for allowing him to get his life back in order is a joke and he should be punished for life as they wont terminate this idiot.
No person should be forgiven for such an horendous crime and as society is too soft on these kind no wonder the world will get worse and more dangerous to live in as criminals got it easy and once a crim always a crim.
Hope he breaks his neck while playing and ends up in a wheel chair then for Karma to get back at this thing.

You're a f**king disgraceful piece of sh*t.

mrpwnd

Bench
I love how rich the whole 'he was young and stupid back then' argument is. If he were a 5-12 year old incapable of understanding consequences and individual thought then fair go if people want to give him a second chance.

As stupid, geniused and braindead most teenagers in modern society appear to be, it's something they do understanding full well what the consequences are. Beating the sh*t out of a pregnant woman at the age of 15 doesn't constitute towards simply 'being too youthful for his own good', what a load of bullsh*t.

He did it, he knew it was f**ked up(probably why he did it) and doesn't deserve a second chance, there's only so much you can try and twist the concept of second chance for the sake of convenience.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I don't think he should be playing in the NRL regardless of the fact he's 'served his time'.

I know that in my line of work if I was involved in this type of incident I would be prohibited from working if I had committed a similar offence, regardless of when it occured. I'm all for redemption but I'm also all for paying the price for past deeds.

skeepe

Immortal
Served his time ?

Yes. He was handed a sentence, and served it in full. The very definition of serving his time.

So are you okay with signing pedo's, rapist and killers if they served their time.

Is Shaun Metcalf any of these things?

Secondly 18 months jail ? is that serving time ?

That's hardly his fault. If you have a beef with the length of time served, you should address your concerns to the NZ legal system.

If you were the girls farther will you forgvie him and hire him in your company or let him play for your footy team ?

Nobody's asking the girl's "farther" [sic] to do any of those things are they?

All time low for NRL Club... the bar set lower and lower....

:lol:

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.

The most puzzling thing to me is why the Warriors didn't just sign someone else and avoid this can of worms.

Surely there is a player in the country of similar standard that they could have drafted in?

Frailty

First Grade

Yes, because the Death Penalty leads to the lowest crime rates :roll:

It is a stupid, vile, and abhorrent act. I personally would not sign him to my football club as it demonstrates his core personality of dangerous and irrational behaviour.

As for other posters saying 'what if it were your daughter' - this is why the justice system takes away emotions which create irrational reactions.

Glenn

First Grade
As others have said what he did was abhorent and disgusting, and no one in their right mind would condone what he did.
Regardless of you agreeing with the court imposed time in custody or not, that has no relevance to being able to have a NRL contract registered.
To those taking the moral high ground on the issue, would you give a friend or family a second chance if they served a custodial sentance.

kmav23

Juniors
What if this was your daughter ?

The are things more important then winning football games.!!!

Let him become a bricklayer but do not let him put on an NRL jersey.

What will this show to all the female and family supporters of the warriors and the fans of nrl.

The farther could be a warriors supporter... to see the club do this.

This crime is on par with pedo;s essentially attempted murder.

Dazraider

Juniors
You're a f**king disgraceful piece of sh*t.

Im Disgraceful because I want a man that kicked a pregnant girl in the guts given the death penalty?
Death less crimes which the tax that pays for these things can be used for schools hospitals and for people that work hard and live in peace.
is this such a bad idea or do you prefer to keep on paying for the evil part of society?
Just Like Davao in the philippinnes they get rid of the criminals by death and its the only way to make people think twice of what they are about to do.

mrpwnd

Bench
As others have said what he did was abhorent and disgusting, and no one in their right mind would condone what he did.
Regardless of you agreeing with the court imposed time in custody or not, that has no relevance to being able to have a NRL contract registered.
To those taking the moral high ground on the issue, would you give a friend or family a second chance if they served a custodial sentance.
I don't know about you but even I'd struggle to forgive any familiar faces if they committed the same kind of idiocy.

Pointless hypothetical anyway.

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't think he should be playing in the NRL regardless of the fact he's 'served his time'.

I know that in my line of work if I was involved in this type of incident I would be prohibited from working if I had committed a similar offence, regardless of when it occured. I'm all for redemption but I'm also all for paying the price for past deeds.
x2
People in the work force will be shunned for most of their life for things less severe than this tool of a player.

Latest posts