What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

Fingerbang

Bench
so in your eyes, he is guilty for the rest of his life, and hence should be punished for the rest of his life. A free man means he is free to live his life as he chooses....he chooses to play rugby league for a living. Why does he deserve more punishment?

I guess I just took your post as one of the throng calling for a lifetime ban from the NRL, as punishment for his crime. What I can't believe is people refusing to see none of us are trying to play down what he did. His punishment is and was set by the NZ judicial system, he served, and now has the same right any of us do to continue on with his life as a free man to live as he chooses to live. The NRL has no grounds to ban him for life.

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Im the most do-gooder left hating, modern civil libertarian loathing, anti-PC and criminal detesting moffo going....and after reading 2 or 3 recent articles on Shaun Metcalfe I think a second chance is okay.

Same here pretty much.

Here's the article (again) that swung my vote... doesn't sound like he feels sorry for himself, and doesn't sound like he expects everyone to accept him, just like a guy who wants to succeed and do well for his family:

LEAGUE sensation Shaun Metcalf, who went from the youngest-ever player to turn out for the Warriors to a prison inmate at 16, has broken his silence on his return to grace.
"For the first couple of years after I got out of jail, I could barely watch it [league]," Metcalf told Sunday News, tears rolling down his cheeks. "You don't really appreciate what you have until it is taken from you.
"It is everything I ever wanted to do, to become a fulltime footy player. I want that more than anything."
Now 23, Metcalf was jailed with two teenage friends in May 2004. The trio were involved in an attack on Metcalf's pregnant 16-year-old ex-girlfriend.
He spent five-and-a-half months in Wellington's Rimutaka Prison's youth unit. His budding professional league career faced a life sentence, with him being banned from travelling overseas.
But Metcalf has been thrown a lifeline after a successful campaign, spearheaded by his manager [former Kiwis coach] Frank Endacott and retired High Court judge and ex-New Zealand Rugby League chairman Trevor Maxwell, had the ban lifted in November.
"Being able to go to Aussie opens up so many pathways... it reignites my dream," said Metcalf, a star for the Warriors' feeder club, the Auckland Vulcans, in the NSW Cup competition for the past four seasons despite having only been able to play home games.
"I had to get a full police report over the last seven years to see if I had been in any trouble, or if I had been in the scope or around trouble."
Previous rejections by Australian immigration authorities had been shattering.
"All year you get your hopes up when the application is going through, and then all of a sudden you get this one simple `No' and the whole world comes tumbling down again," he said.
"It feels like you have committed an offence again and again and again."
Metcalf and his two friends were all imprisoned for the August 2003 attack on Metcalf's ex-girlfriend.
The teen – who had told him she was having his baby – was left bruised on the ground but protected her unborn child by wrapping her arms around her stomach, which was kicked repeatedly in the attack.
The trio pleaded guilty to attempting to procure an abortion, aggravated robbery and injuring with intent.

Metcalf and one of his friends were sentenced to 18 months' jail. The other friend, who didn't take part in the beating, was jailed for 15 months.
"I have never been proud of what I did, how I acted and the way I acted," Metcalf said. "I was 15 then. I was young, I was frigging dumb.
"I am deeply sorry for the actions I took to try and resolve a problem that wasn't even that big of an issue. I don't know how I came around to doing something like that."
Metcalf said at the time of the attack his "head was in the clouds" with people artificially inflating his sense of self-importance because he was a rising league sensation.
"The biggest lesson is being on top of the world one day, then right at the pits. It is not just about starting again, you feel like you are six feet under trying to dig your way out," he said.
"The reality is, you have to deal with the consequences that you bring on yourself. I'm 23 now, it's eight years on and I have grown up. I have sat around for the last eight years thinking about what I have done... and I don't think I should be punished any more.
"I know what I did was wrong and I understand that there are consequences. [But] I have to live for tomorrow, not for yesterday."
Metcalf's commitment to chasing his NRL dream, plus providing a future for his partner and their six-year-old twins, sees him start work at 3am to drive meat delivery trucks. After finishing work at 10am, he has a fitness workout before a mid-afternoon sleep, time with his twins, then Auckland Vulcans training sessions.
His "driving force" is repaying the faith, love and support of his family.
"Knowing what I had, and what I could have had for my family right now, is the biggest let-down for myself," Metcalf said.
"I want to try and give my kids and family a real good life. [My partner] stuck with me and has been my rock... whenever I have needed someone to talk to, she has been there.
"My partner and my parents, they are always trying to help me get to where I have always wanted to be."
He was also grateful for the support of his employer, his workmates and friends and associates in the rugby league community. "Without it, I don't think I would have kept on going."
Metcalf was also helped on his road to redemption by former All Black enforcer Norm Hewitt, who visited him in jail.
"He used to come into the prison and take us for trainings in the mornings," Metcalf said.
"He helped me understand more about what I had done, to take ownership of it, what I could do about it that wouldn't just benefit me but benefit my family as well.
"He was always always willing to listen... not just to me, but to all the boys."
The pair still keep in touch via text messages.
Metcalf is itching to achieve the league stardom that seemed just around the corner a long seven years ago.
"This NRL dream is not just mine... I do it for others in this household.
"I am not giving myself another two years to make it... it is kind of all or nothing right now."

Shorty

Staff member
I'm disgusted.
To those people bagging others for taking 'moral highground' or whatever you want to call it....moral highground? How about actually being a decent human being.
Yes I'm saying it, he shouldn't be in the NRL.....do you blokes just shut off the thoughts of what he did to this poor girl?
What the f**k is wrong with people.

DJShaksta

First Grade
so in your eyes, he is guilty for the rest of his life, and hence should be punished for the rest of his life. A free man means he is free to live his life as he chooses....he chooses to play rugby league for a living. Why does he deserve more punishment?

He is guilty of that crime for the rest of eternity.
He did it, by his own admission.
He served his time and is entitled to pursue whatever career he wishes.

Can the NRL stop him from playing? I guess so
Would I want him playing for my club? No
Do I think everyone deserves a 2nd chance? Yes, mostly.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Getting paid large sums of money, being idolised by kids and adults alike, being a TV star all for just playing a game is a privallage. It should be reserved for those who deserve it. This kid does not imo. Good luck to him in becoming a decent person, i hope he makes it. But he should not have the opportunity to become a sports star in our great game.

What next, pedophiles as teachers as they deserve a second chance?

In one important sense it's not even a privilege - it's a job.

An NRL player's job is to play footy for the enjoyment of consumers who sustain the sport financially (either directly as members and ticket buyers or indirectly as advertising targets by just watching games on television). If those consumers don't want to watch a certain person, regardless of their skill level, then they aren't suitable for that job.

It's pretty simple. If the fans tell the club to pi$$ off this clown or else, then that will be that.

manly40gimps0

Juniors
Greg Bird - not guilty
Greg Inglis - not guilty
Brett Stewart - not guilty
Whether they did it or not they were cleared.
Metcalf - found guilty by a jury - served time and is now out. He is not "not guilty" as you put it, he has served the time he was sentenced to when found GUILTY. not hard to comprehend.
I don't think Inglis was found not guilty, Didn't he plead guilty to lesser charge through a plea bargain?

DJShaksta

First Grade
Not sure, I only used the fat lump to highlight my point.
We know he hit his girlfriend, but as he was never found guilty of the charge the NRL cannot stop him from playing.
Same as Bird and Stewart

hitman82

Bench
I'm disgusted.
To those people bagging others for taking 'moral highground' or whatever you want to call it....moral highground? How about actually being a decent human being.
Yes I'm saying it, he shouldn't be in the NRL.....do you blokes just shut off the thoughts of what he did to this poor girl?

I wonder the same thing with the people in this thread who can't understand the very simple facts:

-Committed a horrible crime
-Did his time
-Seems to have turned his life around
-Has been accepted by people (campaigners, management, players, club) a hell of a lot more in the know than any of us
-WILL be allowed to play in the NRL if selected
-If any of you feel this is wrong, you are entitled to your right to protest; go write an e-mail to Warriors management or the NRL

...and believe me, it's a minority who want him banned from playing.

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
this is f**king sexist

the punishment for kicking and man and a woman should be the same, there is no difference

women are just as physically capable as men are, if not more capable in some instances

In your case, you're just a stupid f*ckhead who writes crap like this :lol:

T.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not sure, I only used the fat lump to highlight my point.
We know he hit his girlfriend, but as he was never found guilty of the charge the NRL cannot stop him from playing.
Same as Bird and Stewart
No he didn't. Unless you're calling the alleged "victim" you supposedly care about an outright liar?

DJShaksta

First Grade
Exactly T.

Don't know about you Faiders Premiers, but I didn't think kicking a man in the stomach could result in the death of an unborn baby.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yea I am.
You think I am alone??
Irrelevant if you are or aren't alone. Anyone who is would be sued by Inglis if their opinion actually mattered. And you do realise the allegation was only ever about an open hand push? And the allegations were dropped, Inglis has a clean criminal record because he is a good guy who has never put a foot wrong.

The alleged "victim" then went and married him and moved to two different states to be with him when she could have sued him and made a lot of money out of him...if the original story was true (which it wasn't).

Inglis is not in the same category as Bird. Bird is a thug, Inglis isn't.

And both of them aren't even close to the same category as Metcalf. What Inglis did was a non issue, what Bird did was bad, what Metcalf did is disgusting and disgraceful.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Eels Dude

Coach

I guess I just took your post as one of the throng calling for a lifetime ban from the NRL, as punishment for his crime. What I can't believe is people refusing to see none of us are trying to play down what he did. His punishment is and was set by the NZ judicial system, he served, and now has the same right any of us do to continue on with his life as a free man to live as he chooses to live. The NRL has no grounds to ban him for life.

I'm disgusted.

Read Fibroman's post above, it was aimed at people ignorant like you Shorty.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The alleged "victim" then went and married him and moved to two different states to be with him

yes.. because marrying someone and moving around with them from location to location is a sure-fire pointer that there is never any trouble...

ike%20and%20tina.jpg

BunniesMan

Immortal
yes he did..

"MELBOURNE Storm star Greg Inglis has been ordered to attend a men's behavioural program after admitting to an assault on his girlfriend."

from here:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/gr...rlfriend-assault/story-e6frf7jo-1225852685515

get your facts straight before coming in here and carrying on like a tool..
That's terrible journalism. Assault is a legal term, the assault charges were dropped. He admitted to pushing her (not punching or striking as was in the papers for a long time). He didn't actually admit to assault like the headline says.

It's like someone admitting "I admit I was in a car accident today" and the headline says "He admitted to driving recklessly and over the speed limit". Big difference between what was actually admitted and the attention grabbing headline (which is what headlines are designed to do).

So YOU get YOUR facts straight before coming in here and carrying on like a tool.