What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

• Total voters

Allstar Knights

Juniors
How will we not win a premiership without Boyd? Our backline will still be quality, Gids will be in his best position fullback, Uate will be killing it and potentially have an awesome centre beside him in Tahu. The halves will improve with more structure and other things Bennett will bring into their game. I'm confident we will see a huge improvement in Mullen next year. Our pack will improve greatly with the addition of Snowden. Their will be nice set plays and structure in our team, with the forwards running nice decoys, so we can get players like Uate and Tahu involved, and in space

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
How will we not win a premiership without Boyd? Our backline will still be quality, Gids will be in his best position fullback and the addition of Tahu coming back to the club. The halves will improve with more structure and other things Bennett will bring into their game. I'm confident we will see a huge improvement in Mullen next year. Our pack will improve greatly with the addition of Snowden. Their will be nice set plays and structure in our team, with the forwards running nice decoys, so we can get players like Uate and Tahu involved, and in space

We can still be adequate without Boyd but to say he'd add another dimension to this team is an under statement

Hes rubbish :sarcasm: We will gladly keep him if use dont sign him ,my god what a thread he a gun iam filthy hes going best fullback weve had in so long i cant remember....

Personally, I'm just over waiting for a decision and I'm sure many St George fans feel the same. It would be great to have him but our future doesn't rely on him. We have other players and prospects whose future with the club might depend on whether Boyd is signed or not. Let's get on with it.

chinorocks

Juniors
Gidley - nowhere near as good a fullback as Boyd.
or Shannon - arguably the worst fullback in the NRL
Uate - legend.
Sau - can't pass to save himself
Tahu - injured more often than not, 5 years past his best
Mcmanus - solid but unspectacular
Henry - unproven rookie who might not even be here
or Gidley - useless in the halves, just runs sideways all day, no kicking game
Mullen - inconsistant, tends to go missing in big games

Yea I can't see how Boyd would improve that backline. We're on track to win a premiership without him. Oh I forgot Wayne Bennett is a miracle worker. He can win with any old team of bums...The Broncos and the Dragons have always had terrible rosters....

Matt23

Staff member
I'd still love him to sign, however my patience is beginning to wear a little thin

Alex28

Coach
I'd still love him to sign, however my patience is beginning to wear a little thin
I think this is more the point. Of course we want him and we definitely need a player of his talent and form. However we are sick and tired of him stuffing everybody around, of people within the club allegedly saying he has signed, of interviews with Boyd saying he is open to signing anywhere and everywhere.

Make a decision. Stop stuffing us - and most importantly the other Knights players whose futures hang on his decision - around and make a f***ing decision.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Gidley - nowhere near as good a fullback as Boyd.
or Shannon - arguably the worst fullback in the NRL
Uate - legend.
Sau - can't pass to save himself
Tahu - injured more often than not, 5 years past his best
Mcmanus - solid but unspectacular
Henry - unproven rookie who might not even be here
or Gidley - useless in the halves, just runs sideways all day, no kicking game
Mullen - inconsistant, tends to go missing in big games

Yea I can't see how Boyd would improve that backline. We're on track to win a premiership without him. Oh I forgot Wayne Bennett is a miracle worker. He can win with any old team of bums...The Broncos and the Dragons have always had terrible rosters....
I'm not saying I don't want Boyd, of course I do, who doesn't? All I'm saying is our backline is still capable enough and is still better then a lot of other sides. I'm not calling Bennett a miracle worker, but you're blind if you don't think some of these players won't improve.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm not saying I don't want Boyd, of course I do, who doesn't? All I'm saying is our backline is still capable enough and is still better then a lot of other sides. I'm not calling Bennett a miracle worker, but you're blind if you don't think some of these players won't improve.

I don't think Gidley gives us what we need to win a premiership at fullback.

There's a point where class overrides effort.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Is it capable of winning a premiership? Honestly?
I think it is, especially if Mullen can go up a gear. Uate, Tahu and Sau (even though hes a bit of a hog) can all cause damage and find the try line out wide. Then you have McManus' safeness on the wing and Gidley's leadership at the back. The formula is there.

Burwood

Bench
What is the point of Boyd delaying his anouncement until after Origin? Is him staying at St George or signing with Newcastle before Origin finishes really going to affect team harmony or his individual performance? The only thing I can think of is him trying again to inflate his contract value after a strong Origin series, but that doesn't really make much sense since everyone is already well aware of his playing ability.

Get on with it Boyd.

chinorocks

Juniors
I think it is, especially if Mullen can go up a gear. Uate, Tahu and Sau (even though hes a bit of a hog) can all cause damage and find the try line out wide. Then you have McManus' safeness on the wing and Gidley's leadership at the back. The formula is there.

We have/had all those players bar Tahu for the last 2 or 3 years and haven't even made the finals. So the addition of Henry makes them good enough to compete for a premiership? Or is our forward pack the sole reason we've been a very average football side since 2005?

Alex28

Coach
Sorry mate - don't buy it. It would take a string of Parramatta 2001-like slumps for us to win the premiership with what we have this year.

chinorocks

Juniors
The backline we have this year has scored 3 trys in the last 2 weeks against 2 of the worst sides in the competition. And all 3 of those trys were scored by players you haven't included in your backline. We are nowhere near winning a comp. If we run out with the same backline plus Tahu next year we'll be lucky to make the 8 Bennett or no Bennett.

perverse

Referee
it's not the backlines fault that the halves have lacked any creativity whatsoever lately. our backs have all looked dangerous individually... but there is a lack of cohesion out there, and a lack of purpose in how we use our possession.

it's not even that our forward pack is providing nothing, either. our starting pack has been having a dig... i can't speak much for the blokes that find themselves on the bench at the moment, though. the only impact they have when they come on is a negative one.

our defence has still been there, so the effort is still there. they are just pretty lost at the moment.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We have/had all those players bar Tahu for the last 2 or 3 years and haven't even made the finals. So the addition of Henry makes them good enough to compete for a premiership? Or is our forward pack the sole reason we've been a very average football side since 2005?
2008 we were in a rebuilding stage. 2009 we got knocked out week 1 of the finals, but looked like a top 4 side until Smith left. 2010 was just disappointing,. Besides the halves, the backline have hardly been the problem. They pretty much carried the team last year, with Uate, Sau and Vuna being our prop rotation, as well as scoring tries

chinorocks

Juniors
2008 we were in a rebuilding stage. 2009 we got knocked out week 1 of the finals, but looked like a top 4 side until Smith left. 2010 was just disappointing,. Besides the halves, the backline have hardly been the problem. They pretty much carried the team last year, with Uate, Sau and Vuna being our prop rotation, as well as scoring tries

So in the last 4 seasons...missed finals, 7th, missed finals and we look like missing the finals again. Sounds like an average football team to me. Sounds like the sort of team that could use a superstar. But alternatively we could keep some deadwood like Patterson and De Gois and sign some shit players from other clubs and continue to struggle.

Bennett is not the miracle worker some here believe him to be. He's a great coach but the Broncos sides he won titles with had superstars in them like Langer, Lockyer Walters, Renouf, Sailor, Tallis, Lazarus, Webcke and a whole lot more. The Dragons side he joined were underachievers but were still among the best rosters in the comp and were in the 2 or 3 favorites for the comp for the preceding 3 seasons. Where not talking about turning water into wine here, he's had some pretty handy footballers.

Currently our side for next year has no superstars. It has some potential, but it's along way from being a massive contender. That's why we need to sign players like Boyd. Someone who can create something for nothing. Someone who makes others better. We have no one like that right now bar maybe Uate.

perverse

Referee
i think you underestimate the role Bennett played in making some of those superstars into superstars, chinorocks. he will produce stars and improve some players in our team. i agree, he's not a miracle worker and we can't just expect our whole squad to grow an extra leg... but the effect will be profound and lasting. being a champion is as much a mentality as it is a skillset. there are many skillful players that are capable.

i agree with you, though. our squad needs an injection of genuine class.

Latest posts