What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

• Total voters
Darius needs to just make his decision. It is getting dull now. Either stay at St George or sign on. Why Tinkler let it slip he had signed and then Boyd says otherwise suggest his heart will not be in it here. Yes we need the bloke but I don't want a mercenary. BTW Pato admitted he was close to leaving to NQ in 2008 had they offered him a deal. Go figure. It was in today's telegraph .

chinorocks

Juniors
Not sure I agree 100% on the comment re Saints. He got Boyd at a time where he had to leave Brisbane, and chose to follow Bennett. He became a superstar at St George, he didn't go there as a superstar.

In that first year the pack looked something like Hunt, Weyman, Young, Saffy, Costigan, Poore etc (sorry if I have forgotten some). It was far from being choc-full of stars, Bennett got the best out of them and most became rep players.

They had some good established backs in Cooper & Hornby (who was a fullback for most of his career), and Morris and Nightingale were on the cusp of becoming something (Gasnier did not come until later) . Soward was prob on his last chance at that point in time, which seems a remarkable thing to say today.

In the space of 1 year Bennett was able to turn them into the most consistent side in the league, and it was built on defence, discipline and doing the basics right. Commitment and discipline was the building block on where they are today.

It is very easy with hindsight to say it was all there for Bennett but I remember thinking at the time that Bennett was taking a fairly big risk going there and that he should just retire. Of course hindsight shows he knew exactly what he was doing, so PRAYING it is the same here!!

Yes I'd love and want Boyd (no disagreement with anyone on that), but big call to expect a premiership next year. If he knocks us back, at least we have Bennett's judgement and Tinker's weight (money, not just on the scales) to pick up the superstar(s) we need the following year.

I said the Dragons had one of the best rosters in the comp and were underachievers. I never said they were chock full of superstars.

billy2

Juniors
I think it's obvious that Bennett puts players through the best training and coaching programmes, which is why players improve under him.

I don't want to say we have had poor training and coaching in the past, but we went from the worst in the league under Hagan (not all his fault - partly to do with spending less money) to middle range under Smith, and we have dropped back a little bit under Stone to be clearly in the bottom 8 and overachievers if we make the finals.

Next pre-season we will have the best trainers, best coaches and best equipment available in the NRL. I expect everything from diet to sleep patterns to be monitored.

All our players will improve, and i expect some young ones like Cook, Pete Mata'utia, Tetevano, Rodney Mason, Chad Redman, Roberts and even some like Herman and Clacherty (great athletes with unreached potential) will improve dramatically - possibly all to firstgrade standard.

We will spend the money and see the results - same as Brisbane did for years and Saints have done for the last few years.

The booze culture will be dead in the water. Bennett will make that neon clear. The boys are in for massive changes and if they don't conform it will be BYE and good luck.

Pika

Bench
It may surprise you billy that Bennet has kept the conditioning team and the existing S&C coordinator has been promoted to oversee both Jets and Knights.

The only person moving on is the strength Coach.... after accepting an offer from Liverpool FC mid preseason he failed to get a visa and is now off to head up the GWS AFL team next season.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion on the current S & C team and what WB thinks about it.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I don't think it's fair to bring into question our existing fitness and conditioning staff when they were working under an administration that was limited in it's provision of top notch supplements and facilities. Allow our current staff to have everything that Pika drew up on his Christmas list to Tinkler a few months ago, and then perhaps we can make an informed and fair call.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I said the Dragons had one of the best rosters in the comp and were underachievers. I never said they were chock full of superstars.

And if you look at their forward pack (and squad) in that first season compared to others, I'm saying they weren't.

History shows different, I agree. How do you know Bennett hasn;t identified a few rough diamonds in our current squad? None of us do but take comfort that the bloke has a good track record.

knights girl

Juniors
Boyd would good a good accusition to the club. Imagine Boyd at fullback and Gidley at hooker....now if we can get rid of mullen.

billy2

Juniors
It may surprise you billy that Bennet has kept the conditioning team and the existing S&C coordinator has been promoted to oversee both Jets and Knights.

The only person moving on is the strength Coach.... after accepting an offer from Liverpool FC mid preseason he failed to get a visa and is now off to head up the GWS AFL team next season.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion on the current S & C team and what WB thinks about it.
Bennett is in the luxurious position of being able to keep staff and bring his own because there is no doubt that staff numbers will increase.
I can't be bothered looking back through all that has been written in the press, but it's already been said that he has a few guys who have been with him for years at Saints and Broncos who will be coming, and you would expect that.
However you look at it - next year we will be spending a lot more money and i have no doubt that we will get much better results, especially with 'fringe' and young players who haven't had the chance to get that level of attention before.
You take a guy like Ethan Cook and double or triple the input he is getting from coaching and training staff and he is going to bloom, as will a dozen others.

ClintDogg

Juniors
f**k. Its confirmed. The Knights just wasted some money 4 the next 4 years and we signed Daruis Boyd.

B-dos

Referee
Yes.

At the price we paid per season 4 Boyd, we could of got 3 or 4 players instead.

lol

successful teams are successful because they have a scattering of genuine stars throughout their team

to attract these starts you need to pay what they are worth

comments like "we could have got 3 or 4 players for that much" are just ridiculous. you can apply that to any rep player. so it seems your bizarre theory is that no rep player is worth it because they are worth x amount of average FGers

pretty silly really

Latest posts