What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

• Total voters

Yosh

Coach
I'm still VERY iffy on Sau... I think he is okay at best. On form he scores some good tries, makes us many metres but is too one dimensional. He doesn't have any creativity in attack and his defence is average at best.

I know I'll get hammered for this but next year I hope we see:

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Mata'uai
4. Tahu
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Roberts/Henry

9. Kidley
14. Bedsy

I think that's what we should be looking at. LOTS of IFS but I think that's a backline that could win a premiership.

chinorocks

Juniors
I don't care how great a coach he is. If we don't inject some more class players we're not winning anything next year. Snowden was a great signing, Tahu could be an ok signing, but those 2 alone won't fix the problems we have atm by a long shot.

perverse

Referee
no, we won't be winning a premiership without another class player or 2, i agree. i still believe you underestimate Bennett's role in making players into who they were, though - Darius included.

chinorocks

Juniors
I'm still VERY iffy on Sau... I think he is okay at best. On form he scores some good tries, makes us many metres but is too one dimensional. He doesn't have any creativity in attack and his defence is average at best.

I know I'll get hammered for this but next year I hope we see:

1. Boyd
2. Uate
3. Mata'uai
4. Tahu
5. McManus
6. Mullen
7. Roberts/Henry

9. Kidley
14. Bedsy

I think that's what we should be looking at. LOTS of IFS but I think that's a backline that could win a premiership.

Wes has been our best player all year and he can't get a run but Pete gets a starting centre spot on the basis of one game on the wing? Have you ever watched a football game? Also Mullen will be at halfback unless we sign a new one. Henry and Roberts are 5/8ths.

chinorocks

Juniors
no, we won't be winning a premiership without another class player or 2, i agree. i still believe you underestimate Bennett's role in making players into who they were, though - Darius included.

I don't underestimate it at all mate. I live in Brisbane and supported the Broncos till 97 when I bailed for Super League related reasons. I've seen the production line come through and seen him develop all these players. However the vast majority of those players had more natural ability than the players we have in our squad.

I just think the job is bigger than many people both internally and especially externally (Wayne will win Newcastle how many comps???) believe it is. This is Bennett's greatest ever challenge.

perverse

Referee
I don't underestimate it at all mate. I live in Brisbane and supported the Broncos till 97 when I bailed for Super League related reasons. I've seen the production line come through and seen him develop all these players. However the vast majority of those players had more natural ability than the players we have in our squad.

I just think the job is bigger than many people both internally and especially externally (Wayne will win Newcastle how many comps???) believe it is. This is Bennett's greatest ever challenge.
it's only his greatest challenge because he's never taken on anything too daunting. i think you're being dramatic about how bad our squad is and completely disregard the myriad of dramas we've had at the club since Johns' retirement. i think we're a top 8 team next year, presuming we fill the positions we're letting go with something of relatively similar quality. injecting a Boyd makes it premiership capable.

so again, i agree with your sentiments but completely refute the way you're arriving to the conclusion. the squad we currently have has played to nowhere near its peak, it has never been afforded the stability and opportunity to do so. you ignore too many factors for me to take your reasoning overly seriously and devalue a lot of good things about our squad. there are plenty of players in our squad i could see in a premiership team - but the way you're carrying on we just need to flush and start from scratch again. you think this is Bennetts biggest challenge, well if bringing in a class player or 2 into an existing roster to bring it up to premiership spec is a challenge then you have lived a very boring, unchallenging life.

Frederick

Staff member
Have you ever watched a football game?
Could ask the same of you since Mullen started off at 5/8, Henry won TC player of the year and TC halfback of the year playing, funnily enough, at halfback, and Roberts is listed on the Knights website as a halfback, and I'm fairly certain played the majority of his NYC games at halfback.

chinorocks

Juniors
it's only his greatest challenge because he's never taken on anything too daunting. i think you're being dramatic about how bad our squad is and completely disregard the myriad of dramas we've had at the club since Johns' retirement. i think we're a top 8 team next year, presuming we fill the positions we're letting go with something of relatively similar quality. injecting a Boyd makes it premiership capable.

so again, i agree with your sentiments but completely refute the way you're arriving to the conclusion. the squad we currently have has played to nowhere near its peak, it has never been afforded the stability and opportunity to do so. you ignore too many factors for me to take your reasoning overly seriously and devalue a lot of good things about our squad. there are plenty of players in our squad i could see in a premiership team - but the way you're carrying on we just need to flush and start from scratch again. you think this is Bennetts biggest challenge, well if bringing in a class player or 2 into an existing roster to bring it up to premiership spec is a challenge then you have lived a very boring, unchallenging life.

WTF? Bit all over the place there aren't you mate? You agree it's a challenge but because I think it's a challenge I'm living an unchallenging life??? I'm not even going to pretend I understand what that means.

chinorocks

Juniors
Could ask the same of you since Mullen started off at 5/8, Henry won TC player of the year and TC halfback of the year playing, funnily enough, at halfback, and Roberts is listed on the Knights website as a halfback, and I'm fairly certain played the majority of his NYC games at halfback.

I didn't say Mullen wasn't a 5/8th. But he is our halfback now and will be our halfback next year. I don't watch Toyota Cup I don't have foxtel. But if you honestly believe Roberts or Henry will be halfback next year with Mullen at 6 I sincerely apologise to both you and Yosh, but somehow I think you know Mullen will be wearing 7.

Frederick

Staff member
Oh I know it's pretty much guaranteed Mullo will be playing half, just moreso addressing the fact you called Henry and Roberts 5/8s when theyve played mostly halfback for their career

chinorocks

Juniors
I stand corrected if they played 7 in Toyota cup as I said I never get to see it. Seems to me our current coaching staff see them as 6's at this point in time anyway if Mullen is still being picked at 7 given most of us still believe he's a better 6 than 7.

Serc

First Grade
At the moment especially I think they just get looked at as 'halves'...Mullen still plays a fair bit of 2nd receiver, but I think he was doing it more in previous seasons. Anyway I guess no matter who plays in the halves at the moment, they have their roles during the game and know what they are...which in most NRL teams these days are a mixture of all the features that a traditonal five-eighth and halfback are expected to perform!

chinorocks

Juniors
At the moment especially I think they just get looked at as 'halves'...Mullen still plays a fair bit of 2nd receiver, but I think he was doing it more in previous seasons. Anyway I guess no matter who plays in the halves at the moment, they have their roles during the game and know what they are...which in most NRL teams these days are a mixture of all the features that a traditonal five-eighth and halfback are expected to perform!

Fair point.

Fingerbang

Bench
I think Beau Henry may have played more 5/8 than half for Dragons under 20's. He certainly did the games I saw him play. And I am still puzzled as to how he won awards playing Toyota Cup. Seen him buckle under pressure quite a bit. I always thought he was overrated....certainly always had potential, but quite a few flaws as well.

perverse

Referee
WTF? Bit all over the place there aren't you mate? You agree it's a challenge but because I think it's a challenge I'm living an unchallenging life??? I'm not even going to pretend I understand what that means.
what? read it again. you missed something. i said it was his greatest challenge because he hasn't taken on anything particularly challenging, certainly in a very long time - therefore belittling the supposed "challenge" you speak of. i continue to say that if adding a couple of class players to a roster to make it premiership capable is a challenge then you clearly have no concept of what a challenge actually is, because a man of Bennetts reputation can have whatever he wants, essentially. his prophecy is now totally self-fulfilling, he will continue to be successful because success will follow him in order to succeed, so to speak.

is that clear enough for you... or should i write it in crayon for you and take a picture? Bennett is the biggest signing in this clubs history, any player signing pales in comparison. it will be a long time before we make another signing anywhere close to his ilk. it may never happen again. you can doubt it all you like, but you massively devalue his influence and his ability... and you severely underestimate the playing group we currently have - there are bad players there, but your forced correlation between a lack of results in the past few years indicating we have bad players is poor. it is a weak, almost non-existant correlation. we have lacked in some key areas, and been beaten from pillar to post off the field throughout that entire time... but that doesn't mean you just start hurling faeces at what is already there... because there is plenty to like about a lot of players in our squad. many of them have a premiership in them. we are not the basketcase you purport us to be. we arn't some ominous, impossible challenge that Bennett is trying to achieve. we have some boom juniors coming through, and the nucleus of what we need already exists. we need some frills - a couple with genuine class - but they are coming.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Silly thread Clint. Who wouldnt want Boyd?

"Hey Redskins, do you want to sign Aaron Rodgers?"

"Nah. We have a solid side with potential, that havent featured in a finals series for a handful of years. Why would we want a Superbowl MVP?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Anyway, the argument about who plays half and 5/8 with Mullen/Henry or Mullen/Roberts is moot. They just play as halves and share the roles. All 3 have had stints at both, and played in the halves for majority of their careers.

Now add Gidley to one of those positions and his game is a running half (or 5/8) so it becomes a little more clear in terms of traditional positions.

ClintDogg

Juniors
I'm not saying I don't want Boyd, of course I do, who doesn't? All I'm saying is our backline is still capable enough and is still better then a lot of other sides. I'm not calling Bennett a miracle worker, but you're blind if you don't think some of these players won't improve.

We don't need him, but I'd definitely love to have him here.

How will we not win a premiership without Boyd? Our backline will still be quality, Gids will be in his best position fullback, Uate will be killing it and potentially have an awesome centre beside him in Tahu. The halves will improve with more structure and other things Bennett will bring into their game. I'm confident we will see a huge improvement in Mullen next year. Our pack will improve greatly with the addition of Snowden. Their will be nice set plays and structure in our team, with the forwards running nice decoys, so we can get players like Uate and Tahu involved, and in space

Personally, I'm just over waiting for a decision and I'm sure many St George fans feel the same. It would be great to have him but our future doesn't rely on him. We have other players and prospects whose future with the club might depend on whether Boyd is signed or not. Let's get on with it.

I'd still love him to sign, however my patience is beginning to wear a little thin

Need him? Probably not. Gids is a capable fullback and Ike is a capable dummy half.

Want him? You'd be crazy not to want him.

Agreed.

As soon as it was stated that Mcdonell is a great fullback, this thread lost all its cred. We need some game breakers in the team. It's been 5 years since we had a team with the ability to be a threat in the finals.

He goes pretty good, great hustle etc.

Need him? I'm unsure, interesting too see what Wayne could do. Want him? Hell yes, who wouldn't, he has the winning attitude that our team needs

Has all the hallmarks of a gee up thread this. Boyd will be the biggest signing we have ever made. He is only the reigning churchill medalist for starters. He is also the most dangeorus game breaker in the code.

My point exactly. Yes hes a good player and all, but I dont think the Knights need him, we can go well without him next year.

I'm not saying I don't want Boyd, of course I do, who doesn't? All I'm saying is our backline is still capable enough and is still better then a lot of other sides. I'm not calling Bennett a miracle worker, but you're blind if you don't think some of these players won't improve.

How will we not win a premiership without Boyd? Our backline will still be quality, Gids will be in his best position fullback, Uate will be killing it and potentially have an awesome centre beside him in Tahu. The halves will improve with more structure and other things Bennett will bring into their game. I'm confident we will see a huge improvement in Mullen next year. Our pack will improve greatly with the addition of Snowden. Their will be nice set plays and structure in our team, with the forwards running nice decoys, so we can get players like Uate and Tahu involved, and in space

Personally, I'm just over waiting for a decision and I'm sure many St George fans feel the same. It would be great to have him but our future doesn't rely on him. We have other players and prospects whose future with the club might depend on whether Boyd is signed or not. Let's get on with it.

I'd still love him to sign, however my patience is beginning to wear a little thin

I don't think Gidley gives us what we need to win a premiership at fullback.

There's a point where class overrides effort.

Need him? Probably not. Gids is a capable fullback and Ike is a capable dummy half.

Want him? You'd be crazy not to want him.

As soon as it was stated that Mcdonell is a great fullback, this thread lost all its cred. We need some game breakers in the team. It's been 5 years since we had a team with the ability to be a threat in the finals.

Need him? I'm unsure, interesting too see what Wayne could do. Want him? Hell yes, who wouldn't, he has the winning attitude that our team needs

Has all the hallmarks of a gee up thread this. Boyd will be the biggest signing we have ever made. He is only the reigning churchill medalist for starters. He is also the most dangeorus game breaker in the code.

Yes we need him, McDonnell at adequate replacement clint, but nothing more.

I just think hes not worth it all.

Latest posts