What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

Do we really need/want Darius Boyd ?

• Total voters

slotmachine

First Grade
Boyd will be the best player in the side when he signs.

I'm not sure why you would be passing on the reigning Dally M fullback of the year, International fullback of the year and Clive Churchill medallist.

Jobdog

Live Update Team

I'm not sure why you would be passing on the reigning Dally M fullback of the year, International fullback of the year and Clive Churchill medallist.
... if he signs.

chinorocks

Juniors
what? read it again. you missed something. i said it was his greatest challenge because he hasn't taken on anything particularly challenging, certainly in a very long time - therefore belittling the supposed "challenge" you speak of. i continue to say that if adding a couple of class players to a roster to make it premiership capable is a challenge then you clearly have no concept of what a challenge actually is, because a man of Bennetts reputation can have whatever he wants, essentially. his prophecy is now totally self-fulfilling, he will continue to be successful because success will follow him in order to succeed, so to speak.

is that clear enough for you... or should i write it in crayon for you and take a picture? Bennett is the biggest signing in this clubs history, any player signing pales in comparison. it will be a long time before we make another signing anywhere close to his ilk. it may never happen again. you can doubt it all you like, but you massively devalue his influence and his ability... and you severely underestimate the playing group we currently have - there are bad players there, but your forced correlation between a lack of results in the past few years indicating we have bad players is poor. it is a weak, almost non-existant correlation. we have lacked in some key areas, and been beaten from pillar to post off the field throughout that entire time... but that doesn't mean you just start hurling faeces at what is already there... because there is plenty to like about a lot of players in our squad. many of them have a premiership in them. we are not the basketcase you purport us to be. we arn't some ominous, impossible challenge that Bennett is trying to achieve. we have some boom juniors coming through, and the nucleus of what we need already exists. we need some frills - a couple with genuine class - but they are coming.

We certainly have. Competant front rowers spring to mind. A consistant halves pairing comes to mind. General attitude and ability in defense come to mind, discipline comes to mind.

But according to you it's a piece of piss to come in add 1 or 2 players and these problems will disapear. Seems to me he's got a fairly big challenge and I don't give a rats ass if you agree or not.

couldnt be bothered reading the entire thread. Anyway..

Saying that you wouldnt want Boyd here would be like saying you wouldnt want Billy Slater here. Both are very similar style players IMO. They have awesome support play (we have been lacking a good support player for years and years probably since robbio left) Both know when to inject themselves into plays and are good at it. Both have blistering speed and have the ability to just make things happen from anywhere on the park.

When have we had a player of Boyds brilliance since Joey? Bedsy was great but Boyd just has an X factor about him.

Dont get me wrong, I love gids, but he is a few paces slower than boyd and he is not a game breaker. Gids injects himself in attack and half the time he ruins it.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We certainly have. Competant front rowers spring to mind. A consistant halves pairing comes to mind. General attitude and ability in defense come to mind, discipline comes to mind.

But according to you it's a piece of piss to come in add 1 or 2 players and these problems will disapear. Seems to me he's got a fairly big challenge and I don't give a rats ass if you agree or not.
So you honestly don't think we have anything to work with in our squad? They are all just a bunch of nuffies to you?

Mullen is too inconsistent, yeah and we have Bennett to fix that lol. You honestly don't think he will have any impact on Mullen's game?

Our starting front rowers will be Snowden and most likely Costigan, with Faas and Tui off the bench. This is a huge improvement if you ask me.

I can already guarantee that we will be disciplined and have the right attitude under Bennett, just like every other side he's coached. Bennett will send them packing their bags if they aren't playing for one another

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I just think people are blindly thinking all of our problems are going to magically disappear once Wayne comes here. And I also think we still need another one or two genuinely good signings to make us a real premiership threat.

ClintDogg

Juniors
you should rap about it.

hahahahahaha I mitre just do that hey.

Pay Boyd all the money, and little cash of what left of the salary cap divided up between the rest, and we dont have a good team.

... if he signs.

Exactly.

Boyd mite be playing out there by himself if he signs 4 big dollars, cause we wont have any1 else being paid on the team, or nobodies from Ncle comp.

couldnt be bothered reading the entire thread. Anyway..

Saying that you wouldnt want Boyd here would be like saying you wouldnt want Billy Slater here. Both are very similar style players IMO. They have awesome support play (we have been lacking a good support player for years and years probably since robbio left) Both know when to inject themselves into plays and are good at it. Both have blistering speed and have the ability to just make things happen from anywhere on the park.

When have we had a player of Boyds brilliance since Joey? Bedsy was great but Boyd just has an X factor about him.

Dont get me wrong, I love gids, but he is a few paces slower than boyd and he is not a game breaker. Gids injects himself in attack and half the time he ruins it.

I would want Billy Slater in my team yes, but would have to think, just like i would with Boyd, do i really want him in my team?. Hes getting ALL THE MONEY from the cap, other players r getting paid bugger all, and Boyd will be playing out there by himself, 1 on 13. Is that what u want Billy Slater 2 do as well?. Play by himself 4 your team with no other players that are worth anything cause Slaters taken all the cash under the cap?.

So you honestly don't think we have anything to work with in our squad? They are all just a bunch of nuffies to you?

Mullen is too inconsistent, yeah and we have Bennett to fix that lol. You honestly don't think he will have any impact on Mullen's game?

Our starting front rowers will be Snowden and most likely Costigan, with Faas and Tui off the bench. This is a huge improvement if you ask me.

I can already guarantee that we will be disciplined and have the right attitude under Bennett, just like every other side he's coached. Bennett will send them packing their bags if they aren't playing for one another

Agreed.

I just think people are blindly thinking all of our problems are going to magically disappear once Wayne comes here. And I also think we still need another one or two genuinely good signings to make us a real premiership threat.

Exactly. ALL OUR PROBS WONT DISSAPEAR IF WE SIGN BOYD.

If Boyd take sup alot of cash under the cap, there wont be any other decent players around him and yes we will have Boyd, but not win games cause hes the only decent player we r paying decent money too that would be out on the field.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
No, all our problems won't disappear if we sign Boyd, but we'll have a team with a genuine gamebreaker in it capable of winning the competition.

ClintDogg

Juniors
No, all our problems won't disappear if we sign Boyd, but we'll have a team with a genuine gamebreaker in it capable of winning the competition.

Yes a team with a "genuine gamebreaker" that wont have any1 2 pass the ball too, cause hes taking up all the cash under the cap.

eg.. Boyd Gets $900,000 out of a million dollar salary cap. $100,000 is 2 be divided up between 24 players. How many decent players ya think we will get for $4166.66cents each for the year?

How much do you blokes think he would be on if he signed here?

At least $500000+ a year.

Yes a team with a "genuine gamebreaker" that wont have any1 2 pass the ball too, cause hes taking up all the cash under the cap.

eg.. Boyd Gets $900,000 out of a million dollar salary cap. $100,000 is 2 be divided up between 24 players. How many decent players ya think we will get for $4166.66cents each for the year?

So you think if boyd signs we lose all our players? Even all the players that are currently on contract?

Silent Knight

First Grade

The NRL salary cap is at 4.1 million. And it's set to go up after the next TV deal. Players like Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston are amongst the highest paid players in the NRL, and they still have class players like Dallas Johnson, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Matt Bowen and Matt Scott around them. $500000 a season for Boyd doesn't constitute the salary cap.

And considering the contacts Tinkler has in the mining and horse racing industries I would wager Boyd's contract will be topped up by a range of third party payments that fall outside the salary cap.

There's no such thing as a single player taking up a club's salary cap.

chinorocks

Juniors
Y

When did I say he wouldn't have an impact on Mullens game? My post said a halves pairing. We have 3 or 4 guys in the mix to partner him and IMO none of the options are all that flash. Therefore that is a problem.

Just saying Wayne will fix the discipline, does not make it fixed. I am pretty sure Brian Smith and Rick Stone no we have a problem and I'm quite sure they tried to fix it, but it's still a problem. Will Bennett have an impact on it? I certainly hope so, but I can't say he will with any degree of certainty.

Our frontrow will be better next year with Snowden in it, that is a no brainer.

And if someone can point out where I said our squad were a bunch of nuffies? I said we have a lot to work on and that we need someone of Boyd's class...we have an ok squad with some deadwood, alot of which will be cleared. But whilst that cleanout occurs where gonna need some young kids to step up and fill some spots previously filled by the Tolars, AK47m, Ciraldos Lulia's etc...that's another challenge the coaching staff will be facing and that the recruitment are facing.

I guess the point of everything I've said in this thread is just signing Wayne Bennett doesn't automatically make us a premiership threat like many people seem to think it does.

perverse

Referee
i believe you are going to be proven very wrong next year, chino... and that a mix of Mullen/Henry/Gidley/Roberts... and maybe even a cameo from Rogers... will be plenty adequate to get us where we need to go.

i also think you're wrong that Bennett coming on board doesn't make us a premiership threat, because he and HSG are going to make the changes necessary to make us into one very fast. these people arn't losers, they are results driven, successful people. the effect on our team next year will be profound, and it may or may not come in areas we are expecting, but it will be there all the same. i don't like to say Bennett will wave a magic wand in any particular area, i dont expect him to make a god out of Jarrod Mullen, i dont expect him to make McManus grow rocket boosters, i honestly have no idea where the improvements that make us a viable premiership contender are going to come from. i do know this, though - they are coming, and i can't wait to see where the cards fall. i have my own perceptions on where i think Bennett will improve things, but i just dont know where the specific changes will take place. i do trust Bennett to make the right decisions to make us compete for trophies. absolutely. 100%. which decisions those are, at this stage i just don't know for sure. i believe the ingredients are all there, we arn't the basketcase you make us out to be and there is plenty of useful, premiership capable talent in the squad. premiership squads aren't made out of world class players necessarily, but we do need one or 2 more of those to take the next step. there are promising signs from a heap of juniors, there is heaps to work with here. you speak like he's walking into a leper colony... but it just isn't the case. he will make the necessary changes to the squad, as you said prop is a particularly pressing issue, and get on with the job. seriously, count on it. Bennett has tonnes of resources to achieve what he needs to achieve - blank cheques in all areas, his pick of the best playing talent whenever contracts are signed. to say he has a challenge under these conditions is absolute folly. it's ridiculous. he has favourable conditions in all areas, plenty of playing talent already here and the ability and influence to fill any gaps in the roster with relative ease. now, if he went to the Sharks i would say he has a challenge in front of him. we aren't even in the same universe as them anymore as far as basketcases go.

Last edited:

chinorocks

Juniors
I hope your right. Believe me when I say I hope he waltzes in next year does whatever it is he does and we win a title. Doesn't even have to happen next year as long as there's noticeable improvement and less of the really bad performances that we as a side seem to throw in once every 3-4 weeks. I just think it's a big job. Certain aspects of the way we play most weeks concern me. Your comments about Jarrod Mullen in the other thread we're spot on and that concerns me because he's the half this sides being built around right now.

Serc

First Grade
Souths would most certainly be a great challenge also...its why I had a slight hunch that he might go there.

Pedge1971

First Grade
So in the last 4 seasons...missed finals, 7th, missed finals and we look like missing the finals again. Sounds like an average football team to me. Sounds like the sort of team that could use a superstar. But alternatively we could keep some deadwood like Patterson and De Gois and sign some shit players from other clubs and continue to struggle.

Bennett is not the miracle worker some here believe him to be. He's a great coach but the Broncos sides he won titles with had superstars in them like Langer, Lockyer Walters, Renouf, Sailor, Tallis, Lazarus, Webcke and a whole lot more. The Dragons side he joined were underachievers but were still among the best rosters in the comp and were in the 2 or 3 favorites for the comp for the preceding 3 seasons. Where not talking about turning water into wine here, he's had some pretty handy footballers.

Currently our side for next year has no superstars. It has some potential, but it's along way from being a massive contender. That's why we need to sign players like Boyd. Someone who can create something for nothing. Someone who makes others better. We have no one like that right now bar maybe Uate.

Not sure I agree 100% on the comment re Saints. He got Boyd at a time where he had to leave Brisbane, and chose to follow Bennett. He became a superstar at St George, he didn't go there as a superstar.

In that first year the pack looked something like Hunt, Weyman, Young, Saffy, Costigan, Poore etc (sorry if I have forgotten some). It was far from being choc-full of stars, Bennett got the best out of them and most became rep players.

They had some good established backs in Cooper & Hornby (who was a fullback for most of his career), and Morris and Nightingale were on the cusp of becoming something (Gasnier did not come until later) . Soward was prob on his last chance at that point in time, which seems a remarkable thing to say today.

In the space of 1 year Bennett was able to turn them into the most consistent side in the league, and it was built on defence, discipline and doing the basics right. Commitment and discipline was the building block on where they are today.

It is very easy with hindsight to say it was all there for Bennett but I remember thinking at the time that Bennett was taking a fairly big risk going there and that he should just retire. Of course hindsight shows he knew exactly what he was doing, so PRAYING it is the same here!!

Yes I'd love and want Boyd (no disagreement with anyone on that), but big call to expect a premiership next year. If he knocks us back, at least we have Bennett's judgement and Tinker's weight (money, not just on the scales) to pick up the superstar(s) we need the following year.

aqua_duck

Coach
Bennett will instill belief in the players, he has the ability to get the most out of them especially mentally. He's also very good at picking up scraps on the market (guys like Nick Emmett, Jon Green, Cuthbertson, Bronx Goodwin, etc) and turning them into dependable 1st graders.

Latest posts