What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters
So in a nutshell who's gunna win on the day???

Raelene Castle VS Israel Folau
615d47c4f03a214b0ca497776c08d382

RUGBY'S VERY OWN STATE OF ORIGIN

aqua_duck

Coach

In making this contribution I acknowledge that my contributions are made freely as a gift on the basis previously affirmed and that there will be no obligations on Israel Folau to do anything for me in recognition of the gift or to apply the funds in any particular way with respect to his legal action, and that I hold no expectation to receive anything in return for my contribution.

Wonder if anyone donating has read the little disclaimer?

To be honest I'm not sure why anyone is actually surprised, he's always been about the money, every move he's made in his career has been primarily financially motivated, I don't begrudge that but what I do begrudge is people who are motivated by money acting like they're not and trying to play themselves as holier than thou.

typicalfan

Coach
So in a nutshell who's gunna win on the day???

Raelene Castle VS Israel Folau
615d47c4f03a214b0ca497776c08d382

RUGBY'S VERY OWN STATE OF ORIGIN
Israel will get crushed and the fallout will also cripple the code imo.

And if the NRL didn't want him before, he has no chance now. I am so glad the NRL distanced themselves when they did and avoided all this mess.

typicalfan

Coach
He seems like a pretty strong willed guy. I usually worry about these individuals who suddenly have the whole pack turn on them like a bunch of hyenas, but I think Izzy is up for it. I would definately have him at Parra but he would need to hand control of all his social media to a PR team. Plus never do any public speeking.
Good luck with trying to police any sort of social media sanctions, restrictions or bans. What if he finds a way around them and breaches them? Sack him? Sense a bit of deja vu?

TheFrog

Coach
Why? he is cleaning up. Sounds good to me, I might get in on it.
It is clear that a good number of people think his battle is worth fighting and are prepared to support him. I would too but he is of much greater means than I. The people who are supporting him are wealthy, most likely wealthier than him. This is a test case, quite unprecedented in Australian law. They don't come along every day. If you find yourself involved in one some day, maybe people will support you.

The Great Dane

First Grade
But his freedom of speech and expression of religion was never in question. Nobody has deleted his tweets or pulled him from the pulpit.

Using that logic you could argue that sending people to jail for things they have said isn't infringing on their freedom of speech, because you know, 'the tweets are still up and there's nothing stopping him from tweeting more, so he can say what he likes, but if he actually says it we're going to throw him in jail, and for any repeat offence we'll extend his term, but that's not infringing on his freedom of speech because he can still say it'.

That is literally the argument you are making, only taken to a slightly further extreme, but there's no principle in your reasoning why it couldn't be taken to that further extreme, and even if you reject that extreme other people won't and you'll have no logically consistent reasoning to argue against that except to say that it goes too far.

Whether people realise it or not (and frankly I think most do), at it's very core allowing things like what is happening to Folau is a direct threat to freedom of speech and expression because it sends the message to anybody that agrees with him that if they use their freedom of speech to express a similar opinion then they are liable to be treated the same way that he has been (i.e. in this case have their livelihoods destroyed), which then cows them into compliance with the majority by making them self censor, which effectively destroys their freedom of speech, and at the same time completely destroys the idea of individual rights and manufacturers radicals.

This sort of stuff is straight out of the authoritarians handbook, and the really sad thing is that my 'side' of politics are the ones doing it because in their arrogance they think that they will always dominate the public discourse as they do now, and therefore will always be the ones deciding what opinions are and aren't hate speech, and what and whom should or shouldn't be censored.

So yeah, your argument is just intentionally over-simplistic nonsense that's being used to excuse the deliberate attempt to silence those that disagree with you.

TheFrog

Coach
Can you see how I might equate that to the toxic kind of love that might be found in an emotionally abusive relationship?
No, sorry. It seems more to me like a bloke standing on a street corner with a sandwich board saying "The End Of The World Is Nigh". Most people would think he was just a crackpot and go about their business. If you think Israel Folou is just a religious nut, and religion is a load of poppycock anyway, you ought not be concerned about what he has to say. If you think what he says might carry some weight, you can follow his advice. That's all there is to it.

But what we've got instead is a body of people seeking vengeance, which is far from pretty. This is why considerable numbers of thinking atheists have come out in his support.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
No, sorry. It seems more to me like a bloke standing on a street corner with a sandwich board saying "The End Of The World Is Nigh". Most people would think he was just a crackpot and go about their business. If you think Israel Folou is a religious nut, you would not be concerned about what he has to say. If you think what he says might carry some weight, you can follow his advice. That's all there is to it.
Sorry. I thought we had moved onto him doing this out of love. Happy to revisit the freedom of religion thing if that’s where you are still at.

The equivalent in the situation you describe is if the bloke with the sandwich board had “sponsored by the ARU” written on his sign. The ARU in this instance has every right to distance themselves from the religious nutter, and make it clear that his views do not represent their organisation.

If the nutter was an employee of the ARU, they could ask him to stop using their brand, and if he fails to comply, they would be within their rights to terminate the employment of the sandwich board nutter.

Pommy

Coach
Using that logic you could argue that sending people to jail for things they have said isn't infringing on their freedom of speech, because you know, 'the tweets are still up and there's nothing stopping him from tweeting more, so he can say what he likes, but if he actually says it we're going to throw him in jail, and for any repeat offence we'll extend his term, but that's not infringing on his freedom of speech because he can still say it'.

That is literally the argument you are making, only taken to a slightly further extreme, but there's no principle in your reasoning why it couldn't be taken to that further extreme, and even if you reject that extreme other people won't and you'll have no logically consistent reasoning to argue against that except to say that it goes too far.

Whether people realise it or not (and frankly I think most do), at it's very core allowing things like what is happening to Folau is a direct threat to freedom of speech and expression because it sends the message to anybody that agrees with him that if they use their freedom of speech to express a similar opinion then they are liable to be treated the same way that he has been (i.e. in this case have their livelihoods destroyed), which then cows them into compliance with the majority by making them self censor, which effectively destroys their freedom of speech, and at the same time completely destroys the idea of individual rights and manufacturers radicals.

This sort of stuff is straight out of the authoritarians handbook, and the really sad thing is that my 'side' of politics are the ones doing it because in their arrogance they think that they will always dominate the public discourse as they do now, and therefore will always be the ones deciding what opinions are and aren't hate speech, and what and whom should or shouldn't be censored.

So yeah, your argument is just intentionally over-simplistic nonsense that's being used to excuse the deliberate attempt to silence those that disagree with you.

It’s really not the argument I’m making it over-simplistic and you know it.

TheFrog

Coach
Sorry. I thought we had moved onto him doing this out of love. Happy to revisit the freedom of religion thing if that’s where you are still at.

The equivalent in the situation you describe is if the bloke with the sandwich board had “sponsored by the ARU” written on his sign. The ARU in this instance has every right to distance themselves from the religious nutter, and make it clear that his views do not represent their organisation.

If the nutter was an employee of the ARU, they could ask him to stop using their brand, and if he fails to comply, they would be within their rights to terminate the employment of the sandwich board nutter.
Not exactly a parallel, but this matter will be decided by a court in any case.

typicalfan

Coach
No, sorry. It seems more to me like a bloke standing on a street corner with a sandwich board saying "The End Of The World Is Nigh". Most people would think he was just a crackpot and go about their business. If you think Israel Folou is just a religious nut, and religion is a load of poppycock anyway, you ought not be concerned about what he has to say. If you think what he says might carry some weight, you can follow his advice. That's all there is to it.

But what we've got instead is a body of people seeking vengeance, which is far from pretty.

There are a few key differences here.

The world is nigh is a bit different to what is said by Israel.
The bloke on the street isn't being paid a multi million dollar contract which includes a code of conduct specifically outlining the responsibilites that come with such contract.

Does an employer not have the right to ensure the organisation is represented in a respectful way?

Lets remember Israel was fully aware of the consequences of his actions and had the option of walking away if he felt he could not meet his obligations but chose not to.

Even in my role I have certain responsibilities within the community.

The people seeking vengeance as you call it are probably aggrieved with his conduct. What vengeance are they seeking? They have the right to be aggrieved. Your "it's either one or the other" is just a strawman.