What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like Rap?

Is it shithouse?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Melstar

Juniors
Munky said:
Awe sh!t , I automatically pushed yes to the question in the title and not the one in the poll.
Damn you CC, you deliberately tried to confuse people didnt you :twisted:

Generally I like rap, but obviously there are exceptions to that. As with every genre there are certain artists that are not appealing but for the most part I enjoy listening to it

shadow grinder

First Grade
eminem sucks...so does chingy...how the f**k does "boo"mean girlfriend or whatever.

how does bling bling mean jewelary

thur=there

:roll:

Matt23

Staff member
Most Rap is ok, but not the Rap/R&B hybrid, thats just kiddy crap

BTW, excellent poll & question :clap:

Kakihara

Juniors
I like rap

Shit i like all genres of music except pop punk, most emo, country/western and techno.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Phillips said:
yes, not all rap though, mostly aggresive stuff like Eminem, DMX, Xzibit, D12, Cypress Hill, Redman etc

i dont like that hip hop/rap sh*t that sounds like a little girls signing e.g. Chingy :lol:

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm not into all the hardcore stuff. I like Ludacris and some G-Unit songs. Chingy and Nelly are good but they are mostly hip hop/pop especially Nelly.

LESStar58

Referee
The limit of my hip hop listening is restricted to jurassic 5, The Roots, Dilated Peoples and Cypress Hill. I love a lot of the old school stuff like Public Enemy, Run DMC, Digital Underground, Naughty By Nature etc.

However I hate Eminem, fitty cent, jay-z, nelly and all the commericalised shite. Eminem is the Kasey Chambers of rap music (which is kinda an insult to her). I actually like Kasey but Eminem is just like her.....Eminem is for 30 and 40-something year old men and women who heard 'lose yourself' and said they always liked hip-hop and rap....its like people who heard 'not pretty enough' and claimed to have always liked country music.

The thing that creases me though is what people define as r 'n' b. Example, people plugging Justin Timberlake as an R&B artist....do fu ck off! That prissy choirboy is about as r&B as I am rastafarian! Also It seems like the minute you put a microphone in the hand of an African-American and they start singing its considered R&B (*DISCLAIMER: previous comment was made without an racial discrimination whatsoever. It is merely my POV and I am expressing it)....call it rap but don't confuse it with a style that has produced some of the best known names in music....Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown and Ray Charles to name but a few. What is considered R&B today is watered down, pop laced, image driven garbage. Destiny's Child are R&B? Hell no! The only person who has, in my opinion, distilled the essense of what R&B is and bought it to 21st century audiences is Prince....hes a genius...oh, and Wycleff Jean.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
LESStar58 said:
The thing that creases me though is what people define as r 'n' b. Example, people plugging Justin Timberlake as an R&B artist....do fu ck off! That prissy choirboy is about as r&B as I am rastafarian! Also It seems like the minute you put a microphone in the hand of an African-American and they start singing its considered R&B (*DISCLAIMER: previous comment was made without an racial discrimination whatsoever. It is merely my POV and I am expressing it)....call it rap but don't confuse it with a style that has produced some of the best known names in music....Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown and Ray Charles to name but a few. What is considered R&B today is watered down, pop laced, image driven garbage. Destiny's Child are R&B? Hell no! The only person who has, in my opinion, distilled the essense of what R&B is and bought it to 21st century audiences is Prince....hes a genius...oh, and Wycleff Jean.
Point taken about R&B, I hate the modern commercial shit. Although I thought most of the 70s/early 80s names you mentioned were soul? Or are they one and the same? Prince is most definitely a genius though.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that r 'n' b of the past (good) and r 'n' b of today (bad) are separate genres. One stands for rhythm and BLUES, another for rhythm and BEAT. I assume that's in chronological order....

In answer to the question in my collection I have a Naughty By Nature tape from 1994 and a Shaquille O'Neal single (purely for comedic purposes), so I guess I'm not a rap fan.

incredible_holc

Juniors
ok todays commercial rap is just absolute shit.

I like early 90s rap, NWA and the guys in it, which is why im loving gta San Andreas, Radio Los Santos is the best radio station ever. Having said that ill always like rock better

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Melstar said:
Munky said:
Awe sh!t , I automatically pushed yes to the question in the title and not the one in the poll.
Damn you CC, you deliberately tried to confuse people didnt you :twisted:

Generally I like rap, but obviously there are exceptions to that. As with every genre there are certain artists that are not appealing but for the most part I enjoy listening to it

:lol:

yup! Gotta make sure you're always on your toes..

LESStar58

Referee
SpaceMonkey said:
LESStar58 said:
Point taken about R&B, I hate the modern commercial sh*t. Although I thought most of the 70s/early 80s names you mentioned were soul? Or are they one and the same? Prince is most definitely a genius though.

I consider the names I mentioned from the 60s 70s and 80s to be R&B artists. While I'm thinking about it you can throw in guys like BB King and Robert Johnson as R&B...but all these farkwits who get around in Von Dutch hats and Eminem clothes still call all this new sh it "R&B". I work with a girl who goes to clubs andI ask her what they play and she says R&B and I then throw my argument which is "that is NOT r+b!". But I see where you are coming from SpaceMonkey....James Brown is defientley soul and funk but to me its all R&B...funk is funk through the bass line, bass = rhythm. Go figure...it doesn't take a rhodes scholar!

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I like aspects of pretty much all the different styles of rap and hip hop (except probably 'Gangsta' rap). Hardcore, old school, rap with rnb influences, pop rap, etc. Just about all the styles have some artists that I like, however they all also have some that I don't like.

CC_Eagle

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
SpaceMonkey said:
LESStar58 said:
Point taken about R&B, I hate the modern commercial sh*t. Although I thought most of the 70s/early 80s names you mentioned were soul? Or are they one and the same? Prince is most definitely a genius though.

I consider the names I mentioned from the 60s 70s and 80s to be R&B artists. While I'm thinking about it you can throw in guys like BB King and Robert Johnson as R&B...but all these farkwits who get around in Von Dutch hats and Eminem clothes still call all this new sh it "R&B". I work with a girl who goes to clubs andI ask her what they play and she says R&B and I then throw my argument which is "that is NOT r+b!". But I see where you are coming from SpaceMonkey....James Brown is defientley soul and funk but to me its all R&B...funk is funk through the bass line, bass = rhythm. Go figure...it doesn't take a rhodes scholar!

Agree totally

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I remember years ago someone said they liked R & B and I asked them what Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles songs they liked best.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Another somewhat pointless story...

I was out with some mates that I went to school with driking. They all said they "loved hip hop". I said something like "Grandmaster Flash ey?" None of them knew who the hell I was talking about. How can so called hip hop 'fans' not know who the pioneers such as Flash, Afrika Bambata, etc. and reggae artists were who influenced the shit they listen to today?

Latest posts