What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.7%
  • No

Votes: 115 51.3%

• Total voters

Gronk

Staff member
Serious About Rugby League rates the 50 game + coaches. Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett, Hasler, Griffin, Maguire, Stuart are ahead of him (69% down to 50.5%)

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rank...l-head-coaches-based-on-win-percentage-37573/

8. Brad Arthur – Parramatta Eels (176 Games, 88 Wins, 50%)

In 8th place is Eels boss, Brad Arthur. Arthur took over the Eels in 2014, and after missing out on the finals in his first three seasons with the club, led the team to their first finals series in eight seasons in 2017. After a terrible season in 2018 that saw the club finish 16th, Arthur has guided the Eels to back-to-back finals series, though they have yet to make an appearance in the NRL Grand Final during his reign. Arthur is contracted to Parramatta for another season as he aims to end the club’s 35-year wait for a Premiership.

9. Ivan Cleary – Penrith Panthers (342 Games, 170 Wins, 49.7%)

In ninth is last year’s NRL Coach of the Year, Ivan Cleary. In 2006, Cleary took over the head coaching role at the New Zealand Warriors, and in 2011, led the club to only their second Grand Final, though they were comfortably defeated by the Manly Sea Eagles. In his second spell as Panthers head coach, Cleary led the club to the NRL Grand Final off the back of a 17-game unbeaten run. Penrith fought hard in the second half but narrowly fell to the Storm 26-20.

Noise

Coach
Serious About Rugby League rates the 50 game + coaches. Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett, Hasler, Griffin, Maguire, Stuart are ahead of him (69% down to 50.5%)

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rank...l-head-coaches-based-on-win-percentage-37573/

8. Brad Arthur – Parramatta Eels (176 Games, 88 Wins, 50%)

In 8th place is Eels boss, Brad Arthur. Arthur took over the Eels in 2014, and after missing out on the finals in his first three seasons with the club, led the team to their first finals series in eight seasons in 2017. After a terrible season in 2018 that saw the club finish 16th, Arthur has guided the Eels to back-to-back finals series, though they have yet to make an appearance in the NRL Grand Final during his reign. Arthur is contracted to Parramatta for another season as he aims to end the club’s 35-year wait for a Premiership.

9. Ivan Cleary – Penrith Panthers (342 Games, 170 Wins, 49.7%)

In ninth is last year’s NRL Coach of the Year, Ivan Cleary. In 2006, Cleary took over the head coaching role at the New Zealand Warriors, and in 2011, led the club to only their second Grand Final, though they were comfortably defeated by the Manly Sea Eagles. In his second spell as Panthers head coach, Cleary led the club to the NRL Grand Final off the back of a 17-game unbeaten run. Penrith fought hard in the second half but narrowly fell to the Storm 26-20.

Did they leave out his finals games for any particular reason? They are still first grade games that he has coached. Takes him to 48.9%

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Regular season games would give a fairer comparison..
Why??? 1 from 7 doesn’t suit your narrative??? It just proves to me he can get a team to the finals and make them competitive but he isn’t good enough to take a team to the next level.

Gronk

Staff member
Why??? 1 from 7 doesn’t suit your narrative??? It just proves to me he can get a team to the finals and make them competitive but he isn’t good enough to take a team to the next level.

Zzzz don't make this about me merkin. I just think (and the author does too ) that the regular season is a more even playing field.

Having said that, coach results are skewed by sombrero rosters. Bellamy's 2W7L 2008/9/10 origin record says hi.

BTW I'm not wedded to the idea of BA as our coach. You just don't dump him for the sake of change. You dump him when there is a coach with a proven record available.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
You dump him when there is a coach with a proven record is available.
Disagree. A Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson may be malleable enough to get the best out of the squad quickly, but I don’t think a Flanagan or Hasler would be. We’d just be back to hoping.
I’m leaning more to “promoting” Arturo and bringing in a Fitzgibbon or someone to get the team playing at the next level

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's a tiny six game sample that includes three games away to Melbourne ffs

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Zzzz don't make this about me merkin. I just think (and the author does too ) that the regular season is a more even playing field.

Having said that, coach results are skewed by sombrero rosters. Bellamy's 2W7L 2008/9/10 origin record says hi.

BTW I'm not wedded to the idea of BA as our coach. You just don't dump him for the sake of change. You dump him when there is a coach with a proven record available.
Games that matter shouldn’t count??? They tell me more then scraping home against a Shitty dogs side.

And then with the excuses, ZZZZzzzzzzz indeed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It’s amazing how you are happy to change the sample size when it suits your argument.........
I'm actually happy to include his finals record, and I do so in the Arthur's-wins-to-50% thread. I just don't think his finals record means anything by itself. His finals record reflects the fact he has mostly faced stronger opponents, not that he suddenly forgets how to coach come finals time.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm actually happy to include his finals record, and I do so in the Arthur's-wins-to-50% thread. I just don't think his finals record means anything by itself. His finals record reflects the fact he has mostly faced stronger opponents, not that he suddenly forgets how to coach come finals time.
It’s not the fact he forgets how to coach. But I do believe he gets out coached. Which is why I believe he is not capable of taking us to the next level.

But but but but we always play stronger teams......... We don’t have the advantages the other sides do...........

84 Baby

Referee
It’s not the fact he forgets how to coach. But I do believe he gets out coached. Which is why I believe he is not capable of taking us to the next level.
I think this is a probability. But I think its more probable him being capable of learning how than grabbing the next coach available and them miraculously being able to (with some exceptions)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think this is a probability. But I think its more probable him being capable of learning how than grabbing the next coach available and them miraculously being able to (with some exceptions)
After 8 seasons you would hope he would learn how pretty soon.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Even if you include his finals record it is a solid record. F**k, we are talking about Parra making finals again - that’s a step in the right direction.

Hopefully we are talking (seriously) about them winning finals. To do that we might need a better coach, but we definitely need a better roster.

Gronk

Staff member
Games that matter shouldn’t count??? They tell me more then scraping home against a Shitty dogs side.

And then with the excuses, ZZZZzzzzzzz indeed.

You're offering your opinion. It's pointless getting all ranty because they differ from mine.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've changed my vote to "no", for one simple reason:

I truly believe that in Ryan Matterson, and Shaun Lane, we have two excellent edge forwards (maybe the envy of a lot of the NRL).

But we hardly use them I'm attack; although Dylan Brown was using Lane in a lot of his attacking plays, they were always the same plays (Brown gets the ball, runs, straightens, pops a pass before the line to Lane).

Our forward pack is our crown jewel, and we can play physical football, or football with flair - but we often tend to play panic football.

It's true that a lack of experience is hurting us; however, I think Arthur needs to devise some better attacking structures with his support staff.

Until he can do that, I'm off him a bit.

He's done a tremendous job all around - but seeing our squad play so unimaginatively really makes me sad. There is so much talent in this team.