What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 109 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 118 52.0%

• Total voters

Avenger

Immortal
I suspect Bennett is out of our price range. Do you understand Arthur's is cheaper than most coaches? The board aren't f**king idiots. They know the best coaches cost the most money. If they wanted a better coach they wouldn't have signed our current one so cheaply. They would have upped their budget and signed one to match.

If we replace Arthur's it won't be with a coach any of the rich clubs want. It'll be Green, Maguire or Flanagan. And I'd be happy with them.
Even more say if we have to pay out BA's final contract.

Avenger

Immortal
He isn’t going to say, we are f**ked and the season is over. Response is as expected.

and BA has gotten the side out of similar shitty situations before, 2017 start, 2019 season (and not saying this is reason for the club to keep him).

I say there is still a pretty good chance we still make it to week 2 of the finals….so not all is lost just yet (but of course winning the comp is a long shot)….
If he wins the comp from here, I'll personally buy him a nice Swiss watch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Girder also said:

“That confirmed for me that they don’t have the roster to go on and win a premiership. They haven’t for the last couple of years.

“Everyone says it is pressure and it is big moments and they don’t handle it and they fall away at this time of year.

“I just believe they don’t have a roster good enough to compete with definitely the top two sides and if you are not calling Souths one of the top three all of a sudden after nine in a row and the performances they are putting in then surely they are very close to it.

“Parramatta just at this point in time they don’t have the cattle. They don’t have the experience at the back end of the year and in representative games that you need to stand up in the moments in those games.

Yep, it's obvious. But building a club is a long, slow process, with minimal drama. Sacking a coach for instant success is a much better story.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But he's had nearly a decade to build the side.
Building a winning team is a whole of club effort. In many cases the coach has nothing to do with it. Two current coaches won a premiership in their first year at the Chooks. The Cowboys got worse the longer Green was there. Coaches are certainly influential but it's a myth that it's all about them. Most coaches in the NRL would be on less than their highest paid players. How important could they be? For mine the biggest factor is the recruitment/retention team. The coach is only part of that and until recently Arthur's was having to do it on his own.

Eelogical

Referee
Building a winning team is a whole of club effort. In many cases the coach has nothing to do with it. Two current coaches won a premiership in their first year at the Chooks. The Cowboys got worse the longer Green was there. Coaches are certainly influential but it's a myth that it's all about them. Most coaches in the NRL would be on less than their highest paid players. How important could they be? For mine the biggest factor is the recruitment/retention team. The coach is only part of that and until recently Arthur's was having to do it on his own.
What happened to training twice a week and going to the pisser afterwards?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So that means changing the coach is not the big deal you are all making it out to be, it’s hilarious the narrative that is being pushed that he’s irreplaceable. We have a strong roster with a HOF and a whole recruitment team. We have a very strong junior base with a state of the art stadium and an Academy of excellence on the way.

Why wouldn’t we be a desirable destination for a top line coach??? This BS about us having the money are just more excuses for the best in the business Pou Pou Excusebar.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
it’s hilarious the narrative that is being pushed that he’s irreplaceable
That's not the narrative at all. Nobody is irreplaceable, especially now that we have a functional football department. My point about all this is that our problems are bigger than the coach. If we want to compete with the rich clubs on a level playing field we need to spend as much as them.

That's not the narrative at all. Nobody is irreplaceable, especially now that we have a functional football department. My point about all this is that our problems are bigger than the coach. If we want to compete with the rich clubs on a level playing field we need to spend as much as them.
But can't we play a different style of footy that's more likely to trouble the top teams when it's on? Even if it leads to more inconsistency and yes, even a lower average finish. I think we're playing it too safe, which includes sticking with BA. It's understandable but as you've yourself said, if other teams spend more money then we need to take more risks.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why wouldn’t we be a desirable destination for a top line coach??? This BS about us having the money are just more excuses for the best in the business Pou Pou Excusebar.
Well free shit provided by the government is nice, and it would be good if we could leverage our huge fanbase for more money. The PLC isn't as wealthy as Penrith's, but it's still pretty good. However it needs to remain financially viable. It can't blow millions on footy for diminishing returns the way a wealthy benefactor can.

However the Dragons were able to go well over budget for a couple of years bringing Bennett to the club and the gamble paid off. We might be in that position one day but so soon after massive cost cutting makes it unlikely. When was the last time we had a coach and assistants in demand by the strong clubs? We lost Gentle and one of the good strength/conditioning guys a few years ago, but that's it.

Oh yeah, Holbrook to the Roosters as well.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It’s not all on the coach, but it’s plain to see he’s not the answer and it’s time for a change. After 8 season there are no more excuses he has the team he wants and ATM we miles away from the top sides.

And I say again there is no reason why we can’t compete with the top sides especially when it comes to money. We have a football club that turns over millions of dollars and their sole job is to support the football club and help it win GF’s. If it’s not trying to do that then what’s the point?? They should pack up now and save all us fans the pain and suffering.

Eelectrica

Referee
Our attack is dead and has been for a few weeks. Even against the Titans we only got on a roll in attack when they were a player down for 10. When they were back to 13 our attack was dead again... against the Titans.

Something has got to give. Doing nothing won't work.

Gotta be looking at our options this off season if we don't make the prelim at least.
BA won't be cut before the season is done. Evaluate then.