What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do You Want Tim Back At Parramatta

Do you want Tim at Parra again

• Yes

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 41.9%

• Total voters

EELICIT

Juniors
Well, there you go, Bazal - Tim Smith really polarises opinion, doesn`t he?
I can see why you think he`s a lot better than Robson: he has a great kicking game (when he`s in form) and a great passing game (when he`s in form). Robson`s not at all brilliant - though, if given another twelve months in first grade, he might improve in that area. But he get`s very involved. He is tireless. Never takes a back seat. His defence is simply awesome for a half-back. He`d have to be the best defensive half in the comp, wouldn`t he? He makes very few mistakes - except for his kicking game - which, once again, he might improve, given another twelve months. Seems like Robson polarises people, too. To say he is 'just not very good' does not do him any sort of justice at all, I don`t think. But that`s just my opinion.

I agree so badly its not funny!:)

EELICIT

Juniors
I have read your posts,also read other peoples here. The fact remains the majority of you posting are full of sh*t and have no idea of what you are talking about..

LOL, geez get off your high horse:crazy: Are we not entitled to give an opinion? Without calling others idiots!

bartman

Immortal
I will give you all an examle of what may happen in the future. if parra sign T Smith all you moral crusaders will hop on the band waggon and bag the sh*t out of the guy cos he went out for a few beers even tho he wont do anything wrong.( which he never did) It is quiet amusing to watch some peole here put the boot in to somone who has never really done anything wrong.
You seem to have fixated on "moral crusading" but for me (and I'm guessing most of the rest of the 40% against Tim's retrun) it just comes down to an argument about Tim Smith's form and capability for NRL.

His most recent attempt at NRL (3-4 games in 2008) was absolutely woeful. I've had mates at touch footy play better passing games and defensive games than those games! Tim did the right thing and admitted he wasn't up to it.

Tim then got his second chance to show what he has at Wigan - last season he played 7 of 9 games from the bench and couldn't displace Thomas Leuluai from first grade. This season when Barrett left he finally got a go in the #6 jumper, but after four games was dropped to reserve grade in favour of a 20yo kid called Sam Tomkins for 8 games, who has since signed a 5 year deal and represented England!

Tim came back into the starting side for a few games and had two man of the match awards before injury. But he hardly stamped his skill or authority while in England, and hardly re-established credentials to be offered an NRL top 25 contract from any club imo. Playing second string in ESL doesn't equal an NRL contract offer.

Sure, Tim has heaps of talent and had an absolutely fantastic 2005 season. But his game had weeknesses (ie defence, erratic passing and kicking) and simply didn't develop on earlier promise. It's not too late, and I wish him well - but in Queensland Cup and at the Titans if he can make it in future seasons.

It's not kicking people when they are down, it's just called analysis... without being prisoner to a pair of these:

rose-colored-glasses.jpg

Wigan 2009 team sheets: http://wigan.rlfans.com/fusion_pages/index.php?page_id=1010

Bazal

Post Whore
His most recent attempt at NRL (3-4 games in 2008) was absolutely woeful. I've had mates at touch footy play better passing games and defensive games than those games! Tim did the right thing and admitted he wasn't up to it.

Tim then got his second chance to show what he has at Wigan - last season he played 7 of 9 games from the bench and couldn't displace Thomas Leuluai from first grade. This season when Barrett left he finally got a go in the #6 jumper, but after four games was dropped to reserve grade in favour of a 20yo kid called Sam Tomkins for 8 games, who has since signed a 5 year deal and represented England!

Tim came back into the starting side for a few games and had two man of the match awards before injury. But he hardly stamped his skill or authority while in England, and hardly re-established credentials to be offered an NRL top 25 contract from any club imo. Playing second string in ESL doesn't equal an NRL contract offer.

Sure, Tim has heaps of talent and had an absolutely fantastic 2005 season. But his game had weeknesses (ie defence, erratic passing and kicking) and simply didn't develop on earlier promise. It's not too late, and I wish him well - but in Queensland Cup and at the Titans if he can make it in future seasons.

It's not kicking people when they are down, it's just called analysis... without being prisoner to a pair of these:

rose-colored-glasses.jpg

Wigan 2009 team sheets: http://wigan.rlfans.com/fusion_pages/index.php?page_id=1010

The Thomas Leuluai argument is rubbish...simply because Noble could have had Prince and Thurston waiting in the wings and still found a way to start Leuluai in the halves. I don't think I've seen a coach with such a hard on for such a rubbish player apart from Tim Sheens with, well, half his squad really. What he did to that club (as much as I hate Wigan) was eerily similar to what Hagan did to us...yet our players were given the leeway of being able to suffer under his coaching while Smiths form and non-selection under a similarly useless regime is all down to him? I don't buy it, or the 2008 argument. It's well known that everything went to sh*t for Tim that year, and he just couldn't focus on his footy. The fact is he was in the top 2 or 3 attacking halves in 2005 and 2007, and even though he had a less than inspiring 2006 he had a number of good games. He has clearly had more good games than the four sh*tty ones in 2008, and to use those four games and what happened to him under the English equivalent of Hagan (well, maybe he's a BIT better than Hages) to say he's not up to it skill-wise is silly IMO when he has clearly proven that, in terms of ability, he is a very gifted kid.

bartman

Immortal
You're entitled to your opinion Bazal. 60% of people here agree with you that he should have be brought back by the club. But the poor 2008 NRL form and lack of impact in England since (plus a major injury/surgery) can't be ignored by those who hold a club's purse strings.

I agree with Osborne on this one. Tim has not stamped his authority on the English game in the way an NRL top 25 squad player should, imo.

Good luck to Tim in his future in whatever level rugby league and beyond. He is gifted, but he must make his gifts count.

Raudonikis

Juniors
The Thomas Leuluai argument is rubbish...simply because Noble could have had Prince and Thurston waiting in the wings and still found a way to start Leuluai in the halves. I don't think I've seen a coach with such a hard on for such a rubbish player apart from Tim Sheens with, well, half his squad really. What he did to that club (as much as I hate Wigan) was eerily similar to what Hagan did to us...yet our players were given the leeway of being able to suffer under his coaching while Smiths form and non-selection under a similarly useless regime is all down to him? I don't buy it, or the 2008 argument. It's well known that everything went to sh*t for Tim that year, and he just couldn't focus on his footy. The fact is he was in the top 2 or 3 attacking halves in 2005 and 2007, and even though he had a less than inspiring 2006 he had a number of good games. He has clearly had more good games than the four sh*tty ones in 2008, and to use those four games and what happened to him under the English equivalent of Hagan (well, maybe he's a BIT better than Hages) to say he's not up to it skill-wise is silly IMO when he has clearly proven that, in terms of ability, he is a very gifted kid.

You cant win here mate,they are all into each other even tho they have have no actual idea of what they r talking about..

lingard

Coach
Was never his nickname

Not his; but it`s yours now, Rowdy, because that`s how you present youself - a rowdy little bugger who`d rather knock people than have a serious conversation about football. Shame, really, because you obviously know a lot about football. And I`m not being sarcastic.

Raudonikis

Juniors
Not his; but it`s yours now, Rowdy, because that`s how you present youself - a rowdy little bugger who`d rather knock people than have a serious conversation about football. Shame, really, because you obviously know a lot about football. And I`m not being sarcastic.

Ok champ,maybe they let me change my nic to Rowdy.
I did originally come here to talk serious about footy and the great eels.
But it seems to me people who follow the eels just pay out the wrong people who play for them.Sorry if i offended any poor lost souls.

TRUEEL

Juniors
sorry i would rather have mortimer be our future Tim had his chance.
Kris Keating and DM at our halves as DA said "excites me" and i totally agree.

bartman

Immortal
Ok champ,maybe they let me change my nic to Rowdy.
I did originally come here to talk serious about footy and the great eels.
But it seems to me people who follow the eels just pay out the wrong people who play for them.Sorry if i offended any poor lost souls.
As Keating once said, more a wet lettuce...

In a large place where people are going to have different opinions on the football they watch and support, those who throw a tanty when some people pay out on the "wrong" players don't tend to last long. As lingard said, that would be a shame if you became one of them.

You clearly know your stuff and are passionate, and your opinions on football areas valid as anyone else's here (inluding any moderators). Imo you just have to learn to accept that the Parra fan base is a very broad church, and not everyone will share the same opinions...

Bazal

Post Whore
You're entitled to your opinion Bazal. 60% of people here agree with you that he should have be brought back by the club. But the poor 2008 NRL form and lack of impact in England since (plus a major injury/surgery) can't be ignored by those who hold a club's purse strings.

I agree with Osborne on this one. Tim has not stamped his authority on the English game in the way an NRL top 25 squad player should, imo.

Good luck to Tim in his future in whatever level rugby league and beyond. He is gifted, but he must make his gifts count.

I also never said that...I've always said I'm happy with whatever the club decides, I just can't understand how people can not see the positives should they decide to sign him

bartman

Immortal
Fair enough, I'd wrongly presumed you would have voted yes in this thread.

There are positives - like with any player they all have certain skills and certain weaknesses. It's just some people don't see Tim Smith as having developed into a very complete footballer given his chances, and personally I'd prefer we re-sign Robson for a year on $55K.

Latest posts