What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dominoes 'biggest loser' range

roopy

Referee
Fat people should be trying to lose weight. Obesity is an epidemic in Australia. Australian women have the highest rising obesity rate in the world.

It needs to be addressed and any fat person stuffing their face with pizza in an effort to lose weight is pathetic.
Thank god the world has young blokes who know everything to be a moral compass for everyone else.
Fat people probably wouldn't be able to work out they have a problem if you weren't there to point it out.
They should thank you every day.

Johns Magic

Referee
But lighten up - aside from the rather stupid price on some of the items, there is nothing sinister going on and you health freaks need to get off your f**king high horses and stop thinking that because you're anorexic hacks who go to the gym 6 times a week that you're better than someone who has a weight problem.

OK, clearly you're one of these fat people I'm referring to...

You've also clearly never stepped into a gym if you think the aim is to be as skinny as possible. Men put on weight at the gym you idiot.

Having the discipline to do some exercise once in a while and resist the temptation of sh*t food is a good quality. Don't try and sugarcoat that by patting fatties eating junk on the back and telling them it's ok and that what they're doing is just as good. It's weak, and not seeing that only perpetuates the problem.

So rather than waste my time going over all the negative impacts obesity has on society, try and name me one good thing about being fat. Because at the very least it boosts healthcare taxes for everyone, so don't even start with the "it's my choice" sh*t that selfish fatties love to use.

So yes, in that facet of life healthy people are better than fat people who don't try and do anything about it. It might not be the PC thing to say, but that doesn't mean it's not right.

Johns Magic

Referee
Thank god the world has young blokes who know everything to be a moral compass for everyone else.
Fat people probably wouldn't be able to work out they have a problem if you weren't there to point it out.
They should thank you every day.

Even the fast-food companies have worked it out roopy.

fish eel

Immortal
Firstly, yes, I do work for them. And you can see how highly I think of their marketing department (if you can even call it that) by seeing me jump in trying to clarify the misconceptions that has been brought about by this launch.

I am pretty certain I did mention the nutritional content as a whole - the reason the pizzas have the toppings they do is to minimise fat contents, sugars and boost protein and minerals. I'm not saying it's perfect for you - pizza never will be, and especially not that you can get from a big fast food chain. But nutritionally speaking, these new pizzas, small and expensive though they may be (again, great work by the head honchos there :roll:), are a decent source of nutrition once in a while for someone seeking to control their weight - like a treat, almost, but a treat that is far better for them than the usual meals we offer.

It's exactly an issue of transparency - here you are carrying on like it's a piece of cardboard. Yes, it may look and taste like a piece of cardboard to you, but to the people considering buying it, it is a far, far healthier alternative than, say, a pepperoni pizza or a garlic bread. I have many people come in to my store - professional people from offices around - who simply don't have time to get a good lunch, so for them, this launch should provide to be a bonus.

Lastly, Domino's campaigns are piss poor. Well-devised? Please - it took people 3 months to figure out we had returned prawns to our menu, and it took 6 weeks before customers began to order the feta pizzas on a regular basis. The marketing 'geniuses' at Domino's are anything but, and their campaigns are anything but well-devised - as evidenced by the fact you and others have completely missed the point of the products. Yes, they're trying to capitalise on a new niche in the fast food market (so sue 'em). But the whole aim of teaming with Shannon and The Biggest Loser was to provide support to people looking to make a change to their lifestyles - if a customer walks into my store and asks whether they can exercise 40 hours a week and live off our new pizzas and maintain a healthy weight, I will rapidly correct them. That is not the point.

Overall, though, I feel the products are a good idea in principle with very poor execution on their behalf.

TBH, there isnt much there marketing company can do to make a turd taste better.

People wanting low fat or more healthy options for pizza shouldnt be looking at Dominos.

As I mentioned earlier, Crust Pizza. Or a 'mum and dad' pizza shop would get you a better tasting, healthier pizza than the rot they dish up at Dominos, Pizza Hut, wherever.

Oh, Johns Magic - hope you dont get vertigo sitting up so high lecturing everyone :roll:

fish eel

Immortal
Let's be clear on one thing - the idea isn't saying, "Here you go - eat the low calorie pies and your excess weight will fly off!"

Rather, it's saying, "Look, you want to lose weight? Watch "The Biggest Loser" on TV to get the know-how on how to do it, and when you're hungry we'll give you a calorie-controlled, nutritional meal to give you the tools to help you along the way."

I know you said the whole concept is garbage, and I hope you think that is also garbage because the biggest loser is an absolutely terrible show that outs the contestants up to ridicle. Lets watch fat people exercise until they puke. Lets watch them wear very little clothing whole they get on a scale. And best of all - lets show people how to lose weight....by living in a house with a gym and personal trainers at your beck and call. Lets brand them losers. The whole subtext is the people on the show are losers because of their weight problem.

What a stupid, insulting show that is.

Shorty

Staff member
Dominoes might actually be one of the last places to add a healthy option.
I don't go to fast food chains very often, but just about any pub will do a grilled fish and plain salad, and any cafe will do a wholemeal roll with healthy fillings.
20 years ago they looked at you funny if you wanted no beetroot on your burger, and counter meals had gravy - that was the rule. Now you get what you want.
Yeah actually, I was going to suggest going to a pub with mates is probably better than pizza at home.
In the last 10 years or pubs have really upped their food quality and now usually ask people if you'd prefer salad or chips.

I have a chip? My comment was in response to people labelling people with weight problems as fat f**ks - like they think they're better than people who are overweight.
Yeah, that was a rather off the mark comment, understandable.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah, look - people who are keen on keeping healthy deserve kudos. They work hard to stay healthy and it is to be comended.

And ok - people with weight problems probably got there because of bad lifestyle choices. But I hardly think that makes it ok to call people fat f**ks and laugh at them. One of my good friends is severely overweight, and it is largely because she is depressed - she has had some horrible luck in her life recently and she couldn't cope. Understandably so. I don't want to get into it because it's deeply personal, but suffice it to say a weaker person than her probably would nor he amongst us today.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think the judgement of Domino's "decency", and other such company's with similar "options" , is a matter of opinion and speculation.

While making healthier options is respectable; it doesn't necessary correlate well to healthy options.

Regardless; whether cynical or not - I'm not wholly supportive of their move - I think there's no real moral motivation in their decisions; rather it's entirely profiteering - aiming to claim a larger market share of a vulnerable demographic.

Mate, you're not wrong. They're a business first and foremost - a fast food business. Their main motivation is to capitalize on the new booming "healthier" fast food niche.

My main point is that, while you shouldn't exist solely on these products, you could do worse.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know you said the whole concept is garbage, and I hope you think that is also garbage because the biggest loser is an absolutely terrible show that outs the contestants up to ridicle. Lets watch fat people exercise until they puke. Lets watch them wear very little clothing whole they get on a scale. And best of all - lets show people how to lose weight....by living in a house with a gym and personal trainers at your beck and call. Lets brand them losers. The whole subtext is the people on the show are losers because of their weight problem.

What a stupid, insulting show that is.

Indeed I do. I don't agree with any of it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
OK, clearly you're one of these fat people I'm referring to...

You've also clearly never stepped into a gym if you think the aim is to be as skinny as possible. Men put on weight at the gym you idiot.

Having the discipline to do some exercise once in a while and resist the temptation of sh*t food is a good quality. Don't try and sugarcoat that by patting fatties eating junk on the back and telling them it's ok and that what they're doing is just as good. It's weak, and not seeing that only perpetuates the problem.

So rather than waste my time going over all the negative impacts obesity has on society, try and name me one good thing about being fat. Because at the very least it boosts healthcare taxes for everyone, so don't even start with the "it's my choice" sh*t that selfish fatties love to use.

So yes, in that facet of life healthy people are better than fat people who don't try and do anything about it. It might not be the PC thing to say, but that doesn't mean it's not right.

Not that it is pertinent to the topic, but nope. I go yo the gym and play soccer every weekend.

People go to the gym to add mass. Weght in this context is totally different...idiot.

You seem to know so much about overweight people and ther habits. Enlighten me - what is an overweight person with depression to do if they give it a real go and fail?

It's all we for you to sit there and point the finger. But the fact you happily glaze over the deeper issues behind it speaks volumes. Obesity does need yo be addressed. But by people with more compassion than people like your good self who seems o think he's above everyone else.

Johns Magic

Referee
People go to the gym to add mass. Weght in this context is totally different...idiot.

No it's not different at all. You do realise that people trying to effectively put on muscle have to put on fat as well at the same time. Foods containing protein etc. which are required to build muscle also contain fat and calories. And you should be eating a LOT of food if you're trying to bulk.

Put simply, a percentage of weight you put on from bulking up from the gym is going to come as fat. So it's pretty much impossible to be anorexic if you have any clue what you're doing.

You seem to know so much about overweight people and ther habits. Enlighten me - what is an overweight person with depression to do if they give it a real go and fail?

Define "give it a go". Did they exercise much? Did they actually eat well? Did this last more than two weeks?

You hear these stories on The Biggest Loser all the time. But amazingly when they're actually forced to eat well and exercise on the show the weight comes flying off. Obviously that rate of weightloss is not what should be the standard, but it does go to show that in 99% of cases people can lose weight if they tried.

Daily exercise would also be a good way of dealing with that depression. Not only because you're losing weight, but it's proven that being active boosts people's moods. Something about endorphins.

If someone genuinely tries and can't lose weight, they should see their doctor about a thyroid problem. Which is quite rare. If someone is exerting more energy(calories) than they intake, they will burn fat otherwise.

It's all we for you to sit there and point the finger. But the fact you happily glaze over the deeper issues behind it speaks volumes. Obesity does need yo be addressed. But by people with more compassion than people like your good self who seems o think he's above everyone else.

The deeper issues like every second contestant on The Biggest Loser has? That they're ashamed that they've let themselves get to that stage, they don't feel confident about their bodies and themselves, and this has led to depression and with it a lack of will to change?

I really don't mean to sound insincere and I'm sure that your friend is a lovely person. But the main problem with a lot of obese people is getting the courage and discipline to actually do something about it, do it the right way and stick at it.

I have two friends who I'd consider obese.
One did daily exercise and ate well and managed to lose 30kg, and now he's as fit as anyone.
The other pays to see a dietitian who has him on an eating program, but still goes out drinking 3 nights a week, eats fast food every Friday and Saturday night "because it's the weekend", and sits around doing sh*t-all in the gym whenever he goes and calls it a "gym session". Then he tells everyone how he's dieting and doing regular exercise but for some weird reason can't lose the weight.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Eelementary makes a good point

A lot of people who are real obese have used food as comfort, the same way as alcoholics use alcohol or people on drugs to dampen or ease the real issues they are going through. Wether it be stress, death of a loved one , depression etc...In all honesty deep down, no one wants to be very overweight. No one wants to be an alocholic, no one wants to be a junkie or taking serious drugs. But food, alcohol, drugs masks a lot of pain. To simply just brush off fat people and label them all "fat f**ks" is just neglectfull and uneducated IMO.

Having said the above Im sure there are overweight people who have slipped in a comfy lifestyle and are just too lazy and dont care.

I think marketing of junk food hasnt helped over the last couple of decades. Imagine if cheap alochol and drugs was advertised prime time very often ...*faints*

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Eelementary makes a good point

A lot of people who are real obese have used food as comfort, the same way as alcoholics use alcohol or people on drugs to dampen or ease the real issues they are going through.

So people who are fat because they eat sh*t, then get upset because they're fat, and so to solve their problems, they eat more sh*t, and get fatter...please don't expect me to feel sorry for them.

Alcohol or drugs I can at least kind of understand because they distort your sense of reality. But fat people using food as comfort knowing fully well that it's the cause of their problems, doesn't make sense.

Wether it be stress, death of a loved one , depression etc...In all honesty deep down, no one wants to be very overweight. But food, alcohol, drugs masks a lot of pain. To simply just brush off fat people and label them all "fat f**ks" is just neglectfull and uneducated IMO.

How does food mask pain? If anything, it perpetuates pain. People don't cure their depression by sitting on the couch eating chips crying to themselves. It's the weak option.

roopy

Referee
When i was young anyone over 80kg was fat.
Anyone over 100kg was massive.
Anyone over 110kg was a circus freak.

Those weights are almost normal now - and it's because food is very different - nothing to do with people being lazy, slothful, whatever else you dream up.

I saw some footage of the 1956 Maitland flood the other day, and the dozens of people they showed were all skinny - not a one over 80kg that i could see. Walk down the street of Maitland now and some of the 12 year olds are over 80kg.

People are not changing - the difference is the amount and type of food we have - not that most young people are slobs.

Johns Magic

Referee
When i was young anyone over 80kg was fat.
Anyone over 100kg was massive.
Anyone over 110kg was a circus freak.

Those weights are almost normal now - and it's because food is very different - nothing to do with people being lazy, slothful, whatever else you dream up.

I saw some footage of the 1956 Maitland flood the other day, and the dozens of people they showed were all skinny - not a one over 80kg that i could see. Walk down the street of Maitland now and some of the 12 year olds are over 80kg.

People are not changing - the difference is the amount and type of food we have - not that most young people are slobs.

We still have all those foods from back then today, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that because there are fattier alternatives now that it's ok to let yourself get fat and unhealthy?

roopy

Referee
We still have all those foods from back then today, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that because there are fattier alternatives now that it's ok to let yourself get fat and unhealthy?
I'm saying it was nearly impossible to get fat in those days unless you were rich - and these days it is very, very easy - as seen by the number of people getting fat.
If you are a good weight, it is probably as much about you being lucky as anything else, and going around abusing people for not being as lucky as you makes you a bit of a merkin.

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm saying it was nearly impossible to get fat in those days unless you were rich - and these days it is very, very easy - as seen by the number of people getting fat.

Yes it is very, very easy to eat sh*t and not do exercise. Am I supposed to admire those people who put themselves through this?

Why is it that European countries don't have the same obesity epidemic that we do? Haven't they got modern food over there yet?

If you are a good weight, it is probably as much about you being lucky as anything else, and going around abusing people for not being as lucky as you makes you a bit of a merkin.

Hmmmm, no. I'm not abusing fat people. I'm abusing fat people who try and incorporate pizza in their weightloss diet to cut corners.

Maybe I am lucky. But I eat well and exercise regularly. Bad luck isn't a factor when you don't give it a chance.

Last edited:

Sir Biffo

Bench
Yes it is very, very easy to eat sh*t and not do exercise. Am I supposed to admire those people who put themselves through this?

Why is it that European countries don't have the same obesity epidemic that we do? Haven't they got modern food over there yet?

Hmmmm, no. I'm not abusing fat people. I'm abusing fat people who try and incorporate pizza in their weightloss diet to cut corners.

Maybe I am lucky. But I eat well and exercise regularly. Bad luck isn't a factor when you don't give it a chance.

The harder I work the luckier I get - S. Goldwyn

I read with interest today some nonsense article in the paper about aerobic excercise being no good for people, what a load of rot. Another excuse for fatties to sit around shovelling more food in and moaning about why they're so fat.

Anyone who eats Domino's, Macca's, KFC, a footlong subway dripping with sauce etc while they're trying to lose weight is kidding themselves. Even healthy choice options are just the lazy way out.

adamkungl

Immortal

:lol: you're kidding yourself, as usual

Latest posts