What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Donating blood

Chook Norris

First Grade
I'll be donating blood on the 18th of February, what should i be eating the night before/on the day of the blood donation?

My first experience did not treat me too kindly at all; up until 2pm, all i had eaten was 2 weetbicks and a chicken burger.. After 10 painful minutes of having a gigantic needle stuck up my arm i began to feel nauseous, started seeing stars and had trouble breathing. They had to tip the bed over on a slight angle so the flow of blood could trickle back into my head, whilst placing a wet towel on my forehead. Definitely wasn't a pleasant experience.

Well i wasn't meant to tell the story, so back to my original question: what foods should i be looking at in particular to ensure a repeat does not occur?

Sir Biffo

Bench
Just drink plenty of water and eat what you normally would ... Don't have to do anything special, but don't turn up dehydrated on an empty stomach! Maybe get some of the cordial they have outside into you and then smash down heaps of the free choccies after and you will be fine.

I donate blood once every three months when the van comes to my work and never have any problems, they say not too excercise for 24 hours after but I normally train the next morning without too many ill effects.

watatank

Coach
I'm not too sure on specifics but as long you have (what most would consider) a big, healthy breakfast and drink plenty of water up to the blood donation you should be ok. It might also help if you had juice while you wait (to keep blood sugar levels up).

TooheysNew

Coach
Yep. Avoid fatty rubbishy food - but apart from that, just make sure you don't have an empty stomach, and drink 2 or 3 glasses of water before you go. That's the biggest key to preventing light headedness. It gets easier.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The Blood Bank in Clarence St in the city is pretty good. Usually not a long wait and there is a free cafeteria at the end with milkshakes and a little buffet. Plently of free goodies and juice to eat and drink whilst waiting too.

Donating blood is also a good way to get a free basic blood test.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
I have a stupid blood thing where i have to give blood every 3 months, and like you i HATE the needles.

All i can recommend is what's been said - for the whole day before (not just the hour or two before) smash down as much water/powerade as possible. You should feel like a big slooshy balloon by the time you sign in.

When in the chair be very conscious of your breathing. Big deep breaths.

Then enjoy the cookies afterwards :D

Tell your missus that its important to liven your blood up before donating so you need to have have sex 3 times the night before, and again the morning of the donation.

Thomas

First Grade
I've had Ross River Fever. Twice.

They don't let me donate blood anymore...

Nugby

Juniors
I'll normally have eaten 5 weet-bix for Brekky, had a sandwich and a couple of oranges and just made sure I've drunk enough. water. I'll run around 12-1pm before lunch before giving blood (at Clarence street) at 2pm with no ill effect so i'd say so long as you eat some healthy stuff and keep hydrated you should be right.

In your case, I'd probably throw in some fruit on the day and just make sure you've drunk plenty of water. I've been told to avoid Coffee before hand, but I've probably ignored that at some point.

hellteam

First Grade
Last time I donated blood the nurse must have stuffed up or something because the next day a massive bruise was all over my arm. I felt like a crack addict who had put too many needles in my arm.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Last time I donated blood the nurse must have stuffed up or something because the next day a massive bruise was all over my arm. I felt like a crack addict who had put too many needles in my arm.

lol ahahah :lol: i actually still have the needle's mark imprinted onto my arm..

okay, thx for the advice guys

roopy

Referee
You probably need the iron in your diet for the few weeks after donating more than the night before, although it couldn't hurt.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Well i came out just fine today :D

mate who i went with wasn't so lucky though.. felt light headed after 35 seconds :lol:

roopy

Referee
Fried black pudding (sausage made with blood), spinach and orange juice - best meal for iron.
Apparently you need vitamin C as well as iron in the meal or you don't absorb much of the iron.
Black pudding tastes like sucking on a rusty nail to me, but some people love it.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Fried black pudding (sausage made with blood), spinach and orange juice - best meal for iron.
Apparently you need vitamin C as well as iron in the meal or you don't absorb much of the iron.
Black pudding tastes like sucking on a rusty nail to me, but some people love it.

Cheers Roopy, i'll see what i can do

Cletus

First Grade
Years ago I used to donate blood in Adelaide and they've give you a stout afterwards if you wanted :). Don't know if it was for you're health or just an incentive to give blood.