What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door now open for Perth

Hass

Juniors
There's a bigger issue with the North Sydney/Central Coast bid that people seem to gloss over.

Are we prepared to concede Sydney's North Shore to Rugby Union forever? Killing off the Bears handed the area to Union on a platter. It's a rich area that Rugby League is still neglecting.

We go on about there being too many teams in Sydney, but the more accurate statement would be that there are too many teams south of the Harbour Bridge.

We could solve the problem by bringing the Bears back at North Sydney. Personally I'd have no problem with that option. They'd be in a stronger position than the majority of Sydney clubs and it would give Rugby League a foothold into that area of Sydney again. But I understand that the above idea has absolutely no chance of happening, so what are we going to do about the North Shore?

The smartest thing to do would be to admit the Central Coast Bears and have them play two games a year at North Sydney Oval. Illawarra only get six home games a year, Gosford would be getting 10. There's no reason that playing two games at North Sydney Oval should hurt the Bears prospects on the Central Coast. The Bears have done much for sport on the Central Coast and the people of Gosford recognise that.

Apologies to Perth fans for continuing the Bears discussion, but diversions are always going to happen with any expansion thread.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RU has got strong on the Nth Shore in the last 10 years? I thought it was dying in Sydney? Any numbers to back up your claim that RL has diminished since the Bears demise?

My biggest concern re the Bears is do the people of the CC want a transplanted Sydney team? Will they get 15,000+ to games or will we see another Sydney team struggling to get 12,000 week in and week out and the corporate support to make them a powerhouse? Time will tell I guess.

Of course same can be said of Perth but we don't have the immediate RL competition for fans and sponsors that a CC will face.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
RU has got strong on the Nth Shore in the last 10 years?
It's been "strong" for around 100 years on the North Shore. A rather large chunk of super 14/Swans supporters would be from the North Shore.

I thought it was dying in Sydney?
The North Shore is Union's only true heartland in this country. Care to name another?

Any numbers to back up your claim that RL has diminished since the Bears demise?
Well for nearly 100 years there used to be regular top grade Rugby League matches played on the North shore, where people would cram into the lovely North Sydney Oval.

Now all these people don't go to games in these numbers on the North Shore anymore. So they've gone from roughly 15000 crowds back in the 90's to almost ZERO.

You don't need to be Einstien to figure out that Rugby League in North Sydney has diminished and copped a beating as a result. It's like having to prove water exists on earth.

My biggest concern re the Bears is do the people of the CC want a transplanted Sydney team? Will they get 15,000+ to games or will we see another Sydney team struggling to get 12,000 week in and week out and the corporate support to make them a powerhouse? Time will tell I guess.

If they received concrete confirmation the Bears are in, you will see. Back in 98/99 it was very well received by the Central Coast there was Red and Black and bears merchandise everywhere in the shopping areas. If the Bears are added they WILL be a very profitable easily self sustainable team.

You can't really blame the people of the Central coast for being cynical about the NRL in 2009 after the sh*t they've been dished out for the last decade. But give them something more concrete than hope and the CC will go off.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
I'd only want to see the Central Coast Bears admitted IF they kept their links to North Sydney alive.

Two games per year must be played at North Sydney Oval. It's vital to keep the league presence alive on the North Shore and further north.

They need to be more than simply just a Central Coast club.

If Central Coast people won't cop this then ta ta.

Last edited:

Brycey

Juniors
Wow the poor North Shore dont have a club to support.

Sunshine Coast, CQ, CC, Perth, Adelaide.

t-ba

Post Whore
CQ Has no hope of maintaining side. Deluded pipe dream until the population gets bigger. The Fitzroy Region has less than 200,000 people in it.

CC and Perth. Makes perfect Sense. Whoever dies first out of the Sydney clubs can move to the Sunshine Coast.

mono_mal

Juniors
The Bears shouldnt be vindicated for their association with the North Sydney area. In reality its a known brand that has great history and tradition attached. Their interests in moving to the Central Coast are also genuine and should ensure the support of the locals.

I also find it odd people attacking the prospect of a game a year at NSO. It would likely draw a crowd of over 15 000 and has the potential to attract large corporate support due to the business district within North Sydney. Support of past heritage games at the SCG etc indicate it would be a success. It would also help rugby league on the north shore, which has been partially alienated since North Sydneys demise as many supporters have not shifted allegiance to Manly or other teams.
The North Sydney Leagues club's association with the team would also help financially.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if the Bears do become the CC Bears then they have to keep strong links with Nth Sydney. The opportunity to have memberships from two population groups and corporate support from two areas may be the only thing that makes a CC team viable. My only issue with it is how the people of Gosford will respond. in the past it seems like they were very welcoming so hopefully that will still be the case if the Bears get the nod. i would like to see the Bears on the CC now though, seems ludicrous that you would have a Melbourne storm CC team when the Bears could be doing a lot of ground work there now building membership and attachment and showing the NRL that this isn;t just about using teh CC as a ticket back to the big time but that there remains a genuine committment to the region. I think this is the NRL's biggest concern, if things get tough on the CC would the Bears try to move back to Nth Sydney? If the NRL are paying for a relocation they would have much more control over that scenario.

Back on Perth I think it is great that we are setting out our targets. 10,000 membership for season 1 should be achievable, the Force managed it easily so we should be aiming for the same. With perth having a strong membership culture it should be easier for us.

I have my fingers crossed that the State Govt gives the nod to MES redevelopment. It could be the Ace in the hand for our bid. Wouldn't hurt if the NRL came out and said any yes to perth would require a redeveloped MES, would put extra pressure on the State Govt. Reflecting on the game last week if it is that full with 15,200 in it then it definatley needs a bigger capacity and better amenities.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I would rather another side in QLD, especially in economic downturn. QLD you know will be successful as the facilities are largely there, whereas Perth would require the NRL to bankroll that side for a few seasons. Not sure the NRL can afford that in economic downturn. Central Coast my 2nd pick as again they have the facilities.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I think if the Bears do become the CC Bears then they have to keep strong links with Nth Sydney. The opportunity to have memberships from two population groups and corporate support from two areas may be the only thing that makes a CC team viable. My only issue with it is how the people of Gosford will respond. in the past it seems like they were very welcoming so hopefully that will still be the case if the Bears get the nod. i would like to see the Bears on the CC now though, seems ludicrous that you would have a Melbourne storm CC team when the Bears could be doing a lot of ground work there now building membership and attachment and showing the NRL that this isn;t just about using teh CC as a ticket back to the big time but that there remains a genuine committment to the region. I think this is the NRL's biggest concern, if things get tough on the CC would the Bears try to move back to Nth Sydney? If the NRL are paying for a relocation they would have much more control over that scenario.

Back on Perth I think it is great that we are setting out our targets. 10,000 membership for season 1 should be achievable, the Force managed it easily so we should be aiming for the same. With perth having a strong membership culture it should be easier for us.

I have my fingers crossed that the State Govt gives the nod to MES redevelopment. It could be the Ace in the hand for our bid. Wouldn't hurt if the NRL came out and said any yes to perth would require a redeveloped MES, would put extra pressure on the State Govt. Reflecting on the game last week if it is that full with 15,200 in it then it definatley needs a bigger capacity and better amenities.

The Central Coast population embraced the CC Bears - which was promised an NRL licence. Then, politics took over:
  • The CRL felt they were being cut out;
  • News Limited needed teams reduced;
  • Manly were broke and needed a lifeline;
  • Several ego-driven administrators were more interested in a Norths/Manly super team than the current setup.
Suddenly, the following happened:
  • Norths were put into administration - fraudulently;
  • CRL kicked the Bears out of their operations in Gosford;
  • Manly were foisted on the CC as their team;
  • Later - News Limited offered $10 million to any club to relocate to Gosford.
This has been a shameful episode in teh history of rugby league and News Limited.

A CC Bears team is not only good for the game but it closes the greatest wound News Limited inflicted on rugby league.

For anyone arguing that North Sydney's contribution should be totally ignored - mindless morons or carrying the same old agenda.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I would rather another side in QLD, especially in economic downturn. QLD you know will be successful as the facilities are largely there, whereas Perth would require the NRL to bankroll that side for a few seasons. Not sure the NRL can afford that in economic downturn. Central Coast my 2nd pick as again they have the facilities.

I agree, but Im sure the NRL will say that Qld has just had another team and then spout some crap about not being able to handle another team so suddenly.

I was arguing this point with Perth Red a while ago that another Qld team and the Central Coast would guarentee that the extra game a weekend would get good ratings like we currently have. But he convinced me that the opportunity of having a team in an untapped area would increase the TV rights. So in a way, although the NRL would have to help Perth for a while, they would be basically paying their own way through TV rights.

So, in the long run, when Perth no longer need backing from the NRL, they will be increasing the value of the NRL itself. That is assuming that the Perth side is more successful then say the Swans are.

When it comes to value of Qld or the CC verses Perth and Wellington, its sure thing with average potiential verses unsure thing with great potiential. The Australian media seems to like to take a punt on potiential sports, like Netball, AFL in NSW and Qldm etc, etc. So the odds are in good favour for Perth, but also for the CC as its the best of both worlds.

LESStar58

Referee
Making the right noises across the Nulla but won't go beyond that while Gallop is around. Useless tit.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
We had a top flight team from 08 to 99, if the Cc Bears plays a match or two there what is your problem with that?

Why can't people understand that the CC Bears brings the Central Coast in - and the north shore - back to rugby league? It is an absolute win-win.

There are still vested interests that are anti-CC Bears. CRL cronies wanting to maintain a turf war. Manly people still hoping their club can have Gosford and take over north shore juniors. Even some CC people who, without the Bears, wouldn't have had a stadium or a chance - but yet are low enough to demand a team, without the Bears' involvement.

Riugby league is potentially a great game - but some of the people involved are lower than snakes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Article from Rugby League Week a few weeks ago:

This is where it all starts. If Perth returns to the NRL in 2013, You can jot down
9.43pm on Saturday, June 13, as the moment where it got serious.
In the post-match euphoria of the South Sydney-Melbourne game at Members Equity
Stadium in front of a sellout 15,197 fans, Reds Bid Steering Committee chairman John
Sackson walked into a room just off the tunnel and told all he was organising a meeting with David Galop. "No, David doesn't even know about this yet," says Sackson. It was Super League which kicked the Reds out of the top flight more than a decade ago and it's Sackson, the competition's former marketing manager, who is trying to lead them back. The T-shirts "WA Reds In The NRL 2013" had malready been printed. They were on sale for $20 at the Rabbits-Storm game and the ball boys
were wearing them. But until last Saturday night, which started with the biggest cheer for two teams warming up we've heard all season and finished with a
dashing streaker, many of those involved still harboured doubts.
By 9.43pm on Saturday, Sackson had none "I was approached four weeks ago to get
involved in a steering committee aimed at having a crack in 2013," says Sackson
"It's still evolving in that there's a number of very influential and interested parties who have put up their hands." The other members of the steering committee
aimed at ending the Reds' 12-year exile are McDonald's franchisee Terry Creasey, WARL chairman Geoff Baldwin, sports marketing expert Brad Hopes and media expert and former Reds djrector Ratlh McManus.
Their first duty was to support Souths in playing Last Saturday nights game "Because
that would send a very strong signal to the NRL that rugby league is alive and well in Perth and has a future in Perth," Sackson reveals "Looking at it now, thats been achieved. As I said, this game was going to build our platformon which we built our bid "There's a lot to be said for Perth - even from a television point of view. Tonight there were three live games on Fox because of the time difference and clearly Live games rate better than replays." Certainly when it comes to NRL clubs sniffing
the ground, Perth is definitely running just behind Gosford with St George Illawarra playing a pre-season game at Members Equity and trying to capitatise on the locaL connections of Steelers part-owner and WIN TV boss Bruce Gordon.
For the steering committee, it's a case of finding out what they need to make successful bid and then to go about putting one together. Why will it work this time when 1995-97 was a failure, with $10 million debt prompting Super League to close down the club?
No-one is better qualified to answer, perhaps. than a former executive of Super League. At the time, with the volatility and turmoil of the Super League war I guess it was all about survival and recovery of the game," says Sackson. "Because the Perth Reds were last in, it was first out - from a simple viewpoint'
"The business Plan was Probably unsustainable here for the Reds, mainly due to
inflated player payments, huge and unworkable operating costs . . . in those days the Reds had to pay for all incoming teams as well as their own travel which was massive, not only for first graders but seconds as well. "There were ground issues with the WACA not dissimitar to the Western Force at Subiaco
- it wasn't an ideal ground to watch league.''
As it turns out, 2013 is a very, very educated guess. Sackson and South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson are old friends from the Super League days. And Richo is on the NRls competition structure sub-committee "What I'm told by Richo is that there'll be two new teams entering the comp in 2013," Sackson reveals.
"There's no question the front-runner, number one, is Central Coast, and that makes
a lot of sense, and then (the other licence) is up for grabs.
"Richo's told me you need $15 million plus for a successful start-up operation - so that's a significant amount of moneY.
"Now the strategy begins' I'm in Sydney in a few weeks and I plan to meet with David
Gallop to find out a lot more about the criteria, the mechanics of the bid. exactly where Perth stands.
"It's going to be a really exciting challenge' We have the opportunity to build a sustainable robust business plan from the ground up, learning from the mistakes of the past and the good things that successful bids have delivered.
"This is very, very new but we are very serious."​

just brilliant. I am all for perth. I think it would be fantastic for rugby league, and it will tick a lot of boxes in one fell swoop.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I had no idea that Shane Richardson was on the NRL's Competition sub commitee (never knew there was one to be honest)

So did Shane Richardson basically confirm to John Sackson that the Central Coast will have a side in 2013 and then another licence aswell? I certainly hope so.

As it turns out, 2013 is a very, very educated guess. Sackson and South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson are old friends from the Super League days. And Richo is on the NRls competition structure sub-committee "What I'm told by Richo is that there'll be two new teams entering the comp in 2013," Sackson reveals.
"There's no question the front-runner, number one, is Central Coast, and that makes
a lot of sense, and then (the other licence) is up for grabs.

I had no idea that Shane Richardson was on the NRL's Competition sub commitee (never knew there was one to be honest)

So did Shane Richardson basically confirm to John Sackson that the Central Coast will have a side in 2013 and then another licence aswell? I certainly hope so.

I doubt that Richardson's "confirmation" to Sackson was any more than his own view of how things might pan out. Still its a reasonable view I think.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
I doubt that Richardson's "confirmation" to Sackson was any more than his own view of how things might pan out. Still its a reasonable view I think.

That's good news.
Now, let's see which parties still have an agenda against the Bears. If none, then Gallop should just come out and anounce CC Bears for 2013.

Brutus

Referee
Poor Boys Blues said:
just brilliant. I am all for perth. I think it would be fantastic for rugby league, and it will tick a lot of boxes in one fell swoop.

It sure would.

Latest posts