What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door now open for Perth

skeepe

Immortal
Also - when relocation was discussed in the 90's, there was no word of the Golf Coast. Itwas all "Gosford must be next". Suddenly, 2004 - an apparent demographic shift has occurred. bullsh*t.

Why would they talk about taking teams to the Gold Coast in the 90's when there was already a team there?

:crazy:

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

topKing

perth do not deserve a team.

they had theyre chance and blew it. time for new blood. central queelsland must be admitted by 2010

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Why is it such a bad thing for the Central Coast bid to be all about North Sydney's relocation. As far as I can tell, the Central Coast has already adopted the Bears franchise. IF the Bears are established on the CC, they must forfit their junior territory in North Sydney and split it with Manly and the next closest team (Balmain?)
At the moment, Perth and the Central Coast will up the TV rights considerably. The only area that can overtake them is another Qld bid. To be truthful, Qld crowds are up, all Queensland clubs are now financially succesful, and it gives their juniors a direct path to the NRL.

The word is expansion. We already have a foothold in the Central Coast, but they require a team for their juniors to have a direct path to the NRL. But having 12 licences in NSW (including Canberra) is just flooding the market.

Its a tricky situation, but I think that the CC Bears and Perth Reds are dead certainties for 2013.

Perhaps John Quale's idea in the mid 90's was the most humain way of expanding. Allow all the areas to have a licence and let the Sydney clubs die off naturally. At least that way, no one could say that they were kicked out of the comp, they just couldnt survive. Like Newtown. God I wish that happened and God I wish Super League never happened.

Loudstrat

Coach
Best to ignore Loudy's comments on expansion.
In his ideal world he'd like to see 20 teams based in the NSW NRL:D

That's bullsh*t you stupid idiot and you know it. All you want to do is kill any NSW side you can. Grow up.

Dont try and turn it around.
Your putting the announcement of a coach as an advantage over perth. How is it? I'm not saying its a hindrance but how exactly does it put CC in front of Perth.

As for Kidman, what does she have to do with CC?

Kidman and fairleigh dont make CC more attractive or a better prospective than Perth.

Orlando Bloom holidayed in WA last week, i can only assume that you think that will convince the NRL to put a team in Perth.

So why are you bagging everything the Bears are doing to get back in? The coach thing is relevent -it proves how ready to go they are. It's not their fault the NRL shifted the goal posts.

What have Perth done, apart from 2 NRL games in a decade?

bobmar28

Bench
The GC was always going to be successful. It's the fastest growing area in Australia and a tourist mecca. I havent been to the CC but it just sounds like a big suburban area loosely attached to sydney.

And Sydney already has 9 teams.

MayMoo

Juniors
No issues with CC having a team as long as it will add value to the NRL and expand the game. I just think it is a bit of a concern that the only thing you hear about the CC bid is from Nth Sydney. I've yet to read anything that has come out of Gosford, not out of Nth Sydney. I would be concerned if we announced a coach now. 3 years is a long time in RL and I'd be hoping we would find the best man for the job much much closer to the kick off.

Good luck to the Bears, what happened to them was outrageous but lets not kid ourselves that this is about Gosford screaming for an NRL team, its about the Nth Sydney Bears finding a way back to the big time.

Thanks,

If it was just about the Bears getting back in (and it's not) so what.

So what if you could fill a stadium in Gosford each home game with a combination of old and new Bears supporters (many who live on The Central Coast anyway).

The truth is there is siginficant support on The Central Coast for this and there has been coverage in local press & on local NBN etc.
I'm not suggesting that people are flooding the streets demanding this, but once we get some type of indication from Gallop (hopefully around October) we can then have more presence up there.

At the moment the CC has a relationship with the Melbourne Storm as the CC Storm and that is their team.

As far as I know there is no one else driving a bid to have a Central Coast NRL team.

The fact that it is being driven by the Bears, and includes a unique opportunity to reconnect Rugby League with the North Shore of Sydney as well should be a positive. Not a reason for dribblers to snipe from the sidelines.

I hope both CC Bears and Western Reds get a go. To me this makes the most sense. I have no idea which way NEWS will jump in the end though.

I am a lot more confident this time though for the Bears as we seem to be hearing the right noises. But until we get a yes - I won't be convinced.

And FFS if they play 1 or 2 at NSO - GOOD !
Rosters / Eagles / Storm etc taking games to Gosford each year where is the outcry ? It's bullsh*t to sugest this is a bad idea.
Again, it brings another element of tradition into this and what the f*ck is wrong with that. In no way is it taking the Central Coast out of the team - The Central Coast Bears.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Why would they talk about taking teams to the Gold Coast in the 90's when there was already a team there?

:crazy:

But hey don't let the facts get in the way of your rant.

Listen, you idiot.

The Bears were told directly that NSO was not up to standard and that, if they didn't relocate, they were dead. The NSO thing turned out to be a lie, of course, then, in 1999, "administration" was fabricated - giving News Limited the number of teams they wanted.

The Bears were the only club that attempted to build their future by instigating the building of the Gosford stadium and contributing millions of dollars to this endeavour.

The whole point was that Gosford was heartland and needed a team. Nothing has changed.

The CC Bears will redress one of sport's greatest frauds - plus make the game stronger.

Flapper

First Grade
The whole point is the people on the CC want the Central Coast Bears as a new team, not one with the barren history of North Sydney. Gosford residents won't think their local derby is against Manly at NSO, it'll be against Newcastle at Bluetongue. You can't have a bit each way here, if you want to move to the Central Coast, you can't be playing games 80odd kms away. And the NRL remember what happened the last time a team tried to not be a fulltime Central Coast team.

Not trying to rubbish the idea of the team, just the idea of playing out of NSO.

Manly is much closer to gosford than Newcastle , I would have thought at the very least both games would be of equal standing.

MayMoo

Juniors
The whole point is the people on the CC want the Central Coast Bears as a new team, not one with the barren history of North Sydney. Gosford residents won't think their local derby is against Manly at NSO, it'll be against Newcastle at Bluetongue. You can't have a bit each way here, if you want to move to the Central Coast, you can't be playing games 80odd kms away. And the NRL remember what happened the last time a team tried to not be a fulltime Central Coast team.

Not trying to rubbish the idea of the team, just the idea of playing out of NSO.

I would personally be quite happy to play all our games at Bluetongue.

I just think it would be a masterstroke to play a game at NSO as well.

I don't think CC resiednts would have a problem with that, so I'll take your word for it.

As I said, I for one would be happy if all home games (for whatever reason) are played at Bluetounge. I just don't buy the idea that playing 1 or 2 at NSO is in some way damaging at all.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'm sure the whole Neagles debacle will give Coasties a reason to hate Manly.

no name

Coach
cough, Gold Coast, cough
The Chargers were one of only a few clubs to make a profit in 1999. They were (unfairly) sacrificed when the NRL had to cull teams. They had millions in the bank, some of which was used for the Titans bid

t-ba

Post Whore
The Chargers were one of only a few clubs to make a profit in 1999. They were (unfairly) sacrificed when the NRL had to cull teams. They had millions in the bank, some of which was used for the Titans bid

The Gold Coast is better for it imo. The Chargers still had a stigma of failure about them that would have taken decades to get rid of. Wiping the slate clean was the right thing to do, as stupid as the decision was at the time.

Still, after signing away ALL TV rights for a song to Packer and the woeful efforts at negotiation with News Corp in late 1997, that is the third worst decision the NSWRL/ARL made in the 1990's.

Honestly, it was better seeing the Titans admitted in 2007 than inside of the Southern Orcas(Wellington Bid) or the Central Coast Bears. Mainly because of the TV Rights increase in revenue and securing a Rugby Leafue Area from the likes of AFL but the Central Coast Bears must be the No.1 Priority in 2013(or whenever the next TV Deal comes around). No.2, The Perth Reds. Hopefully by then some sought of stronghold for Rugby League exists within that AFL heartland. Another Brisbane team can piss off as it adds little to the TV Deal. It just means more people will be watching in the same city. It won't be a major increase in either case.

gallagher

Juniors
That's bullsh*t you stupid idiot and you know it. All you want to do is kill any NSW side you can. Grow up.

So why are you bagging everything the Bears are doing to get back in? The coach thing is relevent -it proves how ready to go they are. It's not their fault the NRL shifted the goal posts.

What have Perth done, apart from 2 NRL games in a decade?

The 'central coast ' bid from the bears wont get the go ahead from the NRL when so much of it involves North Sydney.
If the Perth bid involved them playing games at parra stadium then I'd have the same opinion about that bid.

Latest posts