What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons 2020 Roster in Shambles

nontime111

Juniors
yes of course, Im talking about when its all over if he wins and when hes settled and his head is right....look hes a winner, it showed me just how important he is to the team aswell as Widdy, when they were both out we totally sucked, with Widdy back from injury we were half back, the other missing link is Jack, Widdys gone for 2020, hopefully Jack can come back in, give them the starch and Normy will rise, have somtehing to play for u know..they all will rise youll see, new coach, then BAM theyll be back! I just prey Jacks innocent so can rejoin again hes so good to us, our rock for mine him and Mcinnis

TruSaint

Referee
yes of course, Im talking about when its all over if he wins and when hes settled and his head is right....look hes a winner, it showed me just how important he is to the team aswell as Widdy, when they were both out we totally sucked, with Widdy back from injury we were half back, the other missing link is Jack, Widdys gone for 2020, hopefully Jack can come back in, give them the starch and Normy will rise, have somtehing to play for u know..they all will rise youll see, new coach, then BAM theyll be back! I just prey Jacks innocent so can rejoin again hes so good to us, our rock for mine him and Mcinnis

Love your passion mate. I really do.

I have moved on under the assumption that Jack wont be there. If he is, then its a bonus. Anyway, time will tell.

nontime111

Juniors
god Im shocked...I hope he can come back to us if hes innocent... hed have one hell of a point to prove! I miss his D oh man he hits hard!

just a fantasy but who knows......footy is a strange game one moment you can be rock bottom as we are but just ONE thing goes right ( ie, new coach, new players, return of some old heads etc a but of luck) and bam theyre back up the top, remember Roosters got the spoon only a few very short years back look at em know, we can do the same

maybe this team can turn it all around, IF we get a new coach///it all rests on that

Sailor ( or that other NRL fullback with experience as is a strong rumour, or maybe Tristan will totally nail it!)
Saab ( love the guy I just hope hes not an injury prone Saab...Ferrari)
Lomax
J Mozz OR at the very worst, Lafai ( love to see him back he was crueled here at a pinnacle time in his budding carreer wanting to play in that Red V then Benny comes along...I didnt agree should have stayed and deserved to)
Periera ( hes the current best winger we have...think about it)
Norman
Hunt

JDB ( if he returns and ill be very said if not itd be a HUGE hole to fill hes a one in a generation defender! hell be hard to replace if he isnt back, but it CAN be done)
Frizz ( dont go to Rorters please we need you)
Tariq
Graham ( yes hes 2nd prop picked for me after Vaughnie, you cant replace that experience or passion when hes on the field he plays like someone from the 70s...best signing weve had in years for mine)
Cam ( man MIGHTY MCINNIS!!! my fave player AND future captain for years hopefully, probably my favourite outside signing of all time)
Vaughn ( say no more, and is getting better)

bench;

Luch
Ford
Lawrie
Blacker ( I hope, or a magic bouncy back like Field or Duff)

thats a team IF we have the right coach will compete...

another Positive if Josh Morris returns, hell be a huge influence and voice of experience for all the upcoming young brilliant backs we have coming through

Como Connection

First Grade
A big no for me, stuffed the season, split the team within, let alone his family life.
CC

nontime111

Juniors
thanks fellas had no idea about the details of jack at all im in far off south west WA and I get half a headline, like one sentence....

ALSGI

Bench
Mcfade spent a good part of his presser yesterday talking about JDB’s trial commencing 2nd March and that he could be back by the 1st or 2nd game.

McFade should have said ‘no comment until after the trial’, but it’s a great deflection and a great excuse for him rather than talk about his complete coaching failures.

For mine, JDB should not have been allowed any where near training once he was stood down. He can still be supported by the club and players without training with the squad 5 days a week. If the trial goes badly for him what has allowing him to train with us achieved?

If Mcfade and everyone else at the club keep saying JDB’s been ‘one of many’ reasons for their woes this year they should remove the distraction.

FlameThrower

Bench
Mcfade spent a good part of his presser yesterday talking about JDB’s trial commencing 2nd March and that he could be back by the 1st or 2nd game.

McFade should have said ‘no comment until after the trial’, but it’s a great deflection and a great excuse for him rather than talk about his complete coaching failures.

For mine, JDB should not have been allowed any where near training once he was stood down. He can still be supported by the club and players without training with the squad 5 days a week. If the trial goes badly for him what has allowing him to train with us achieved?

If Mcfade and everyone else at the club keep saying JDB’s been ‘one of many’ reasons for their woes this year they should remove the distraction.
FFS how stupid is this guy - shut theup about JDB. Are we being primed for 2020 as another write off of a year - if JDB is found guilty? Is the Club going to be ‘blindsided and shocked’ if he is found guilty? Unbelievable the level of stupidity and naivety being shown by the Club ( exhibit A the expectation JDB was going to play and traveled with the team for the Mudgee game...

ALSGI

Bench
FFS how stupid is this guy - shut theup about JDB. Are we being primed for 2020 as another write off of a year - if JDB is found guilty? Is the Club going to be ‘blindsided and shocked’ if he is found guilty? Unbelievable the level of stupidity and naivety being shown by the Club ( exhibit A the expectation JDB was going to play and traveled with the team for the Mudgee game...
I can understand how they may say keeping him around is good for morale but then they keep saying that it’s been a distraction?

In my work (and most others) if I was stood down on full pay I wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near work for good reasons.

But not this amateurish mob of old boys.

hermidale1

Juniors

By doing that it removes his excuses. His assistant coaches are being moved on. The young players are being moved on. He tells players one thing, then does something else.
He is full of it, yet doesn’t take responsibility that he is the captain of the ship that is sinking. He needs to go.

FlameThrower

Bench
I can understand how they may say keeping him around is good for morale but then they keep saying that it’s been a distraction?

In my work (and most others) if I was stood down on full pay I wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near work for good reasons.

But not this amateurish mob of old boys.
He is being charged with one of the most serious offences - Club has handled this very poorly and Mary’s running commentary on this has not helped anyone. I also get the feeling the general fan base has shifted in the JDB support from early this year. It’s on the hands of the courts and that is where it should have stayed.

BLM01

First Grade
He is being charged with one of the most serious offences - Club has handled this very poorly and Mary’s running commentary on this has not helped anyone. I also get the feeling the general fan base has shifted in the JDB support from early this year. It’s on the hands of the courts and that is where it should have stayed.
All well said....but a few i know close to the club say the club are confident he will be OK?...Why?..NFI
But if you read the papers and media...........it certainly paints a different picture.
Best left out of sight out of mind until March....and Mary thinks it is great timing just as the season kicks off blah blah blah...what a blind and tunnel view that suits himself hoping he walks straight back into strengthening the squad Round 2 or 3

So has he thought about the media circus around this, the club and its players in March as we prepare for a Round 1 clash etc and the fact he would of been around the team for 4-5 months prior fitting into training runs, drills and plays and then might not be there....yeah sorry forgot...what plays
Dragons should stand him down Nov 1. Get some cap dispensation and spend it elsewhere...he can keep fit alone, full pay and if he wins his case work his way back to the squad
I could not think of worse timing. It would be better the case be heard Oct 1 2019 where we know outcome before next season or July 2020 where he sits out the year and we get full cap dispensation.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
McGregor, stop all the comments about JDB and focus on your available playing squad. JDB has been a terrible distraction throughout this useless year. We all know how his stand down has been detrimental to our position in this year's premiership - just stop all talk about him particularly before and after his trial in early March next year. Work out with Millward the next generation of players you want for 20/21 and prepare them in the off season positively, like you should have done this year, If you think you cannot do this, then quit now!!

getsmarty

Immortal
eceived:
New
widdopg-1gp_7061.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons set to farewell Widdop but who takes his place?
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 24 Aug 2019, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

James Graham admits he will miss fellow Englishman Gareth Widdop when the Dragons captain returns home to play for Warrington next season but it is unclear who will take his place in the St George Illawarra back line.

With Corey Norman set to return to five-eighth to partner Ben Hunt in the halves after being signed this season as Widdop’s long-term replacement, the Dragons No.1 jersey will be up for grabs in 2020.

At this stage it appears to be a three-way battle between Zac Lomax, Tristan Sailor and Matt Dufty. But the latter’s future at the club is not certain after falling from favour five weeks ago following Widdop’s return from a shoulder injury suffered in the round three defeat of Brisbane.

Despite signing a two-year contract extension before the start of this season, Dufty and the Dragons are understood to have mutually agreed that he can explore interest from rival clubs for 2020. There is still the possibility he will stay.

The development indicates that Lomax may be considered at fullback as regular centres Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai are under contract for next season and Dragons officials insist both are part of the club's 2020 plans.

However, Lomax can also play on the wing, while Sailor is equally comfortable at fullback or five-eighth.

Dragons v Roosters - Round 23

Dufty was not selected in St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor’s initial 21-man squad to play the Roosters on Saturday night at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium and has been named to play on the wing in the earlier Canterbury Cup fixture.

McGregor is monitoring Hunt and second-rower Tyson Frizell after they suffered concussions in last Sunday’s controversial 18-12 loss to Cronulla and Sailor is on standby to make his NRL debut if either or both join Patrick Kaufusi on the sideline.

It is unclear whether Sailor would be elevated to the starting side if Hunt is ruled out or whether Lomax would shift to his preferred fullback role, with Norman playing alongside Widdop in the halves and Mikaele Ravalawa re-instated on the wing.

Jacob Host is set to come into the 17-man squad in place of Kaufusi, who was the worst effected of the three Dragons concussed in the clash with the Sharks, and McGregor will carry a back on the interchange if both Hunt and Frizell are ruled out.

The match will be the last at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium for Widdop and veteran forward Jeremey Latimore, who will retire after St George Illawarra’s round 25 trip to the Gold Coast and team-mates are determined to send them out on the best possible note.

"Gareth has done a lot for this club and he is obviously our captain so it would be nice to leave the Dragons home ground with a win," Graham said. "Hopefully the fans can send him off with a lot of respect and pay their appreciation to Gareth and Jeremy. I think that would be nice."

widdopg--grahamj-190316700-sd.jpg

Dragons and England teammates Widdop and Graham :copyright:Scott Davis/NRL Photos
Widdop joined the Dragons from Melbourne in 2014 and has established himself as one of the best play makers in the game during his 122 appearances for the club.

However, the England five-eighth wants to play in Super League while he is still near the top of his game and gave Dragons management 12-months notice that he was going to take up an offer with Warrington for 2020.

"I am going to miss him a lot," Graham said. "We have been close friends for a very long time, since he came into the England set up in 2009 so we have had a bond since then that has only grown over time.

"I'd had that experience of being with him for six or eight week camps and I thought I’d like the opportunity to be with him for the full season so he was a big reason for why I wanted to come here.

"That's the nature of our sport. Gareth will be a friend for life, I hope, and he is someone I have thoroughly enjoyed riding the roller-coaster of week-to-week rugby league with."

A number of Dragons players trained in different positions on Friday to prepare for the possibility of Hunt or Frizell being out and Lomax said he was happy to play wherever he was needed after recent thumb and hamstring injuries.

"I guess we probably haven't had the season we wanted but the next three games are going to be a real big task for us and we want to build momentum and get some confidence and belief back in the team leading into next season," Lomax said.

"I have played no footy lately so I just want to be back on the field and I want to be playing. I am trying to get my fitness right as much as I can and I am happy to play wherever."

Dragons v Roosters
What will be the result in their round 23 clash?

Dragons v Roosters What will be the result in their round 23 clash?
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%
  • Roosters 1-10
    0%
  • Roosters 11+
    0%

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/24/dragons-set-to-farewell-widdop-but-who-takes-his-place/

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Very well said, ALSGI.

Old Timer

Coach

You get it, I get it, almost everyone in here gets it but not Mc Grinner.
Your highly intelligent analysis of the situation casts no dispersions or make claims as to innocence which is the politically astute way to deal with the matter.
JDB did us no favours by staying around the club and Mc Grinner even less by continually referencing him.
If any guilty verdicts are reached will our mov be like the Melbourne Archbishop in relation to the Pell case who just said that the boys were molested but it was clearly a case of mistaken identity?
FMD what an inept lot our mob are in all departments.