What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons after Hodkinson

Mr Red

First Grade
As someone mentioned in another thread the bulldogs are after raiders halfback Sam Williams.
i checked with my friend who is a board member at the dogs and he has confirmed this to be correct.
Williams has already asked for an immediate release from the raiders, but due to Campese still not being 100% fit they havent agreed to the terms as yet.
He also revealed to me that the dragons are in negotiations with Trent Hodkinson. The bulldogs have agreed to terms with the dragons for an immediate release, on the proviso that they can get the raiders to release Williams.

here's hoping the raiders DO NOT let Williams leave, as the dragons will drop to new lows if we think Hodkinson is the answer...

Mr Red

First Grade
Why aren't we after Williams?

i agree, he is a classy half back.
from memory didnt we try and sign him in the off season, but there was no interest from him?
obviously playing at the bulldogs under Hasler in a team that is a top 4 chance is a better proposition than playing at the dragons under Price..

Godz Illa

Coach
Why aren't we after Williams?
Can't remember the scenario last year but wasn't it something similar to what is described above - Canberra refused a release? He's off contract at the end of this year and the Raiders have some highly rated halves coming up in Milford and Cornish. It's possible he'd be allowed to go elsewhere.
Hodkinson is an upgrade on what we have currently but not much more. Might be a stopgap until Crook is ready?

Mr Red

First Grade
Can't remember the scenario last year but wasn't it something similar to what is described above - Canberra refused a release? He's off contract at the end of this year and the Raiders have some highly rated halves coming up in Milford and Cornish. It's possible he'd be allowed to go elsewhere.
Hodkinson is an upgrade on what we have currently but not much more. Might be a stopgap until Crook is ready?

i havent seen much of Crook but from what i have seen he is a good 2-3 years from first grade.
surely they must go with Drinkwater during that time, rather than bring in someone like Hodkinson?

rainman44

Bench
As someone mentioned in another thread the bulldogs are after raiders halfback Sam Williams.
i checked with my friend who is a board member at the dogs and he has confirmed this to be correct.
Williams has already asked for an immediate release from the raiders, but due to Campese still not being 100% fit they havent agreed to the terms as yet.
He also revealed to me that the dragons are in negotiations with Trent Hodkinson. The bulldogs have agreed to terms with the dragons for an immediate release, on the proviso that they can get the raiders to release Williams.

here's hoping the raiders DO NOT let Williams leave, as the dragons will drop to new lows if we think Hodkinson is the answer...
Our club only gets rejects and im sick of it

to_ddeath

Coach
What a joke we've become.
Take the sloppy seconds whilst getting overlooked for the prime cut.
Wholesale changes need to be brought through the whole damn joint. Sick of this shit.

T.

I say get Hodkinson and give him a run you never know a new environment might revitalise him and if he's so so then at least he'll be a good depth player win win really,of course I'd rather drinkwater get a go but as long as price in charge he won't play him in front of fien he's already proven he ain't that adventurous and fien is not a half backs arsehole so what have we really got to lose?

watatank

Coach

I agree, Hodkinson is an upgrade on what we have and if that deal is for this year then even better. It wouldn't be a terrible outcome. Still, I would hope that with all the uncertainty with our halves and having cap space, even allowing for players like Crook that we will be pushing for better.

Mr Red

First Grade
I agree, Hodkinson is an upgrade on what we have and if that deal is for this year then even better. It wouldn't be a terrible outcome. Still, I would hope that with all the uncertainty with our halves and having cap space, even allowing for players like Crook that we will be pushing for better.

the risk is that Price/Doust do their usual crazy thing and go and sign Hodkinson on a 3 year deal for something crazy like 280k a season....
then we are stuck with him long term and wasting cap dollars which should go towards someone better.

Can some one correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Hodkinson very injury prone? If so that's all we need.

Having said that I do recall him playing very well for Manly. He made the same mistake as Justin Poore changed clubs for the money and his career goes downhill big time.

rainman44

Bench
I say get Hodkinson and give him a run you never know a new environment might revitalise him and if he's so so then at least he'll be a good depth player win win really,of course I'd rather drinkwater get a go but as long as price in charge he won't play him in front of fien he's already proven he ain't that adventurous and fien is not a half backs arsehole so what have we really got to lose?
He is as slow as hornby was and dont forget ben was close to 35, i would take a risk and pay sam williams 400 thousand a year, this kid is a pure halfback.

watatank

Coach
the risk is that Price/Doust do their usual crazy thing and go and sign Hodkinson on a 3 year deal for something crazy like 280k a season....
then we are stuck with him long term and wasting cap dollars which should go towards someone better.

280k would be great value...very cheap for any decent halfback under the new cap

Stagger Lee

Bench
Would not be the worst signing. Under Des at Manly and now under Des at the dogs. Given a new chance / coach he could step up. Would only risk a 2 year deal tbh.

Beggars can't be choosers and at the moment we are begging!

thommo4pm

Coach
When you can't beat Kris Keating for a spot in 1st grade (Hodkinson I'm referring too) you know your 1st grade career is just about over.

Mr Red

First Grade
Would not be the worst signing. Under Des at Manly and now under Des at the dogs. Given a new chance / coach he could step up. Would only risk a 2 year deal tbh.

Beggars can't be choosers and at the moment we are begging!

it was Dez at manly who decided not to keep him, and Dez at dogs who is again not wanting to keep him..
if a top line coach, and former rep halfback doesnt see Hodkinson as worth keeping then we should take note..

thommo4pm

Coach
You might have missed the bit were sam williams has already said NO to the Dragons :sarcasm:

It's worth going back and trying again if the rumours that he wants out are to be believed.
He would walk into our 1st grade side right now, he would have some competition at the Dogs (he is better than those players they have also though).

Latest posts