What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons chase Jarryd Hayne

Life's Good

Coach
I was initially sceptical on signing Hayne(commitment, desire etc) but I think he would add value by giving us a bigger body in the backline which we sorely need now Nene has left. Defensively he would be an upgrade on Aitken & be a good foil for Dufty(assuming he signs as centre).
One thing I still question is the one year deal. I wouldn’t say the negotiations between Parra & him are a circus but a one year deal lands us in the position in 12 months time. Do we really need that distraction when our club is primarily team first, player second?

Crush

Coach
I think it would be wise to include the stats of all clubs and the stats of their regular fullbacks.
Go for it. Its not hard, just a bit time consuming, especially in those clubs where there were multiple fullbacks for the season.
Duftys statistics stack up though.
He had a very good season.
Not sure what people expect from him. He's not James Tedesco or Kalyn Ponga but. If you want him to be those players you will be disappointed.
Just like if you want Hunt to kick field goals like Reynolds or Widdop to guide the team around like Cooper Cronk. Aint gonna happen. Doesn't mean they aren't great players though.

BLM01

First Grade
The biggest issue with Dufty (like a lot of young players) is that the gap between his best and worst games is far too big.
Like the coach. Like our team at the back half of seasons. You have just got to look at results at the last few games, then semis with injuries. Somethings are so wrong from Mon-Fri in preparation. Maybe the Terrigal trip was the wrong time and a bad idea. I wonder as the coach appears complacent about his teams performances whether it seems to flow through, especially after a flying start.
But I am like some on here Dufty needs another year and time to see if he improves to another level but I see the potential to be one of the best. I keep saying this because others keeping banging on about his defence. It takes time, but definitely needs to improve on his running at a set line and now look to change the running across field and submitting too much looking for a hole. It wont work the same as it did this year

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Like the coach. Like our team at the back half of seasons. You have just got to look at results at the last few games, then semis with injuries. Somethings are so wrong from Mon-Fri in preparation. Maybe the Terrigal trip was the wrong time and a bad idea. I wonder as the coach appears complacent about his teams performances whether it seems to flow through, especially after a flying start.
But I am like some on here Dufty needs another year and time to see if he improves to another level but I see the potential to be one of the best. I keep saying this because others keeping banging on about his defence. It takes time, but definitely needs to improve on his running at a set line and now look to change the running across field and submitting too much looking for a hole. It wont work the same as it did this year

I'm just tired of wasting season to see if ……….

I believe it's time to do all possible each season to win a comp. If a player is out of form drop him and give some else a go. You can't do any worse than lose and that's what we do so often in the back end of the season.

If the coach is useless, sack him and get one of the many qualified coaches on the market to take over - just like other clubs do. Lack of funds is no longer an excuse with St George Leagues Club and WIN pulling the strings these days.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

I believe it's time to do all possible each season to win a comp. If a player is out of form drop him and give some else a go. You can't do any worse than lose and that's what we do so often in the back end of the season.

If the coach is useless, sack him and get one of the many qualified coaches on the market to take over - just like other clubs do. Lack of funds is no longer an excuse with St George Leagues Club and WIN pulling the strings these days.
I don't think we'll ever see that sort of proactive attitude from our management, they seem content with mediocrity

BLM01

First Grade

Dufty was out of from like about 12 others out of 17. Cant drop them all. Dufty won us some games. Deserves his spot to start next year. Coach I agree

possm

Coach
If I was picking my playground side at big lunch, I'm pretty sure I would pick Hayne long before Lafai & Aitken. Ask yourself the same question !!!

Aitken, Lafai, the 2018 Nightingale and Dufty. So what does that say about the magic of Mr Millward.

Drag Queen

Bench
Dufty was out of from like about 12 others out of 17. Cant drop them all. Dufty won us some games. Deserves his spot to start next year. Coach I agree
Hmm, poor defence leaked more tries than I care to remember. This isn't exactly striking the balance or one would think. Beg to differ on this one.

BLM01

First Grade
Hmm, poor defence leaked more tries than I care to remember. This isn't exactly striking the balance or one would think. Beg to differ on this one.
Yep that's this forum and opinions differ, however true balance is others in the backline that dont get highlighted as much as he does let some soft tries in (i.e. right side defence centre and winger) and how many of those tries you say he leaked was because of breaks made by poor defence in front of him. I know he had poor defence at times but for me balance is so did a lot of individuals in the team and Dufty is not in the front line very often.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yep that's this forum and opinions differ, however true balance is others in the backline that dont get highlighted as much as he does let some soft tries in (i.e. right side defence centre and winger) and how many of those tries you say he leaked was because of breaks made by poor defence in front of him. I know he had poor defence at times but for me balance is so did a lot of individuals in the team and Dufty is not in the front line very often.
I'll agree to disagree,

BLM01

First Grade
I love little Quinny. What's not to love? Do I think he is NRL material. Nope. Do I think Dufty is NRL level, absolutely not.
Yes you have made that quite clear many times. But for those times that everyone wants to bag Dufty so soon after 1 year in grade and think it will never change I will reply with the balanced positive view for now until I see it as flogging a dead horse.

possm

Coach
Yes you have made that quite clear many times. But for those times that everyone wants to bag Dufty so soon after 1 year in grade and think it will never change I will reply with the balanced positive view for now until I see it as flogging a dead horse.

I'm all for giving an outstanding junior a go in first grade to see if he can cut it however, after a year of perseverance, I feel it's time to send Dufty back to ISP to address his weaknesses. Now if Dufty feels offended by this so be it. He should have more pride in his work and be glad for the opportunity to address his short-comings.

By the way, same policy should apply to any first grade player including Aitken, Lafai and if Lomax proves to be under done, he too should be dropped to ISP to improve himself.