What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors
I think the next 4-6 weeks will be very interesting, we can all speculate and put forward our personal preferences, but, at the end if the day our CEO Mr Webb will be charged with making a pretty monumental decision on who our coach will be moving forward.

Everyday we see new columns written on this subject,ceach one directing focus on a different candidate.

However, what still concerns me tbh is that the Cowboys still haven't announced their new coach. Once they do, then our picture becomes much clearer (imo). What are they waiting for?

The correct answer is they probably dont think anyone is ideal and are trying to weigh up whos best out of a suboptimal lot

We are likely to be doing the same

Dragon David

First Grade
I think the next 4-6 weeks will be very interesting, we can all speculate and put forward our personal preferences, but, at the end if the day our CEO Mr Webb will be charged with making a pretty monumental decision on who our coach will be moving forward.

Everyday we see new columns written on this subject,ceach one directing focus on a different candidate.

However, what still concerns me tbh is that the Cowboys still haven't announced their new coach. Once they do, then our picture becomes much clearer (imo). What are they waiting for?
What are they waiting for?

Yes this is the big question, maybe just to see how Young performs. I am sure that they have spent time already pondering the pros and cons on who should be the next head coach ever since they were putting things through Ryan Webb about talking to Mary about leaving the club. Mary would have grumbled and whinged his head off when the selection panel was put in place several weeks ago and as a result it got back to the board and we know what happened.

Anyway, as you say Dragonslayer, we can all speculate to our hearts content but we will definitely find out who it will be one way or another on one of the remaining days of 2020.

_Johnsy

Referee
I have to premise this with I don’t believe Dean is the man for the job in 2021. However I love the bloke & everything he stood for when playing in the red V. Never ever gave anything other than 100%. So much so I remember an interview with Benny on the player he admired most. Deano was the one he spoke of most, obviously has standards and expects them to be fulfilled/reached. You hear the cliche “he bleeds .... insert colours here), but with him, you know he does. I hope he does a great job for the remainder of the season. I actually think we will end up 2-4 points off 8th spot. I hope he is kept on under the next head coach. Or he decides to go elsewhere for a few years to be a more rounded coach in a different environment.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2020: Wayne Bennett throws his support behind Dean Young to coach St George Illawarra
Wayne Bennett loved Dean Young as a player during his tenure at St George Illawarra, so he sees no reason why he can’t become a successful NRL coach.

Matt Logue
NCA NewsWire
August 21, 20203:23pm
6b5d6cc3fc18badc4754f641dc9d4836

Wayne Bennett has backed Dean Young to be St George Illawarra’s next coach, declaring he possesses the qualities to be successful.

Young is in the mix to lead the Dragons after he was appointed interim coach following Paul McGregor’s departure.

Bennett called his former premiership-winning player from 2010 during the week to offer support ahead of his maiden match in charge against Brisbane on Friday night.

The super coach joked that his chat with Young was more to emphasise with him for entering the brave world of NRL coaching.

“I don’t usually congratulate guys for getting coaching jobs,” Bennett said frankly.

“I usually commiserate with them because it is such a tough gig.

“You go in with such high expectations and it can all be blown away on them in six months, 12 months or 18 months.

“But I know Dean will give it his best shot and I know he has a lot to offer, so I wish him all the best.

“He is a great communicator; he is full of enthusiasm and he has got a lot of attributes that good coaches have got to have.”

3e371cce265d112c1352e7ba186f5e8a

Wayne Bennett, Dean Young and Ben Hornby and the 2010 NRL premiership trophy. Picture: Gregg PorteousSource:News Limited

Bennett expects Young to face hurdles, like all coaches in the NRL, but he believes the former forward has the personality to rise above the challenges.

The pair built a close rapport at the Dragons, especially during the franchise’s premiership year in 2010 when they combined to defy the doubters and end the club’s previous finals fade-outs.

“Dean is one of my favourite players that I’ve coached,” Bennett said.

“I loved him as a player because he gave so much on and off the field.

“He was just a great player and a great guy to be around. He is a great clubman.

“I was pleased for him (to get the coaching job). I know what it meant to him to get that opportunity.”

Bennett has another season to run on his contract at South Sydney, but he has been linked to a return to the Dragons as a coaching director.

The super coach distanced himself from those reports when asked after training on Friday.

“Well I’ve been linked with everybody, haven’t I?,” he said.

“You guys (in the media) keep getting me jobs and then I don’t finish up with a job.

“I’m a bit confused, so I can’t get carried away with this one.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/d...a/news-story/a783c82855141e97d5bba0c75f0b4900

SEAT 1A

Bench

• Back to the future: Dragons identify the type of coach they are after
    Michael Chammas
    August 19, 2020 — 1.31pm
    • Send via Email
    Leave a comment

St George Illawarra have identified the qualities they want in their next coach, prioritising defence and discipline as the key characteristics in their search for Paul McGregor's successor.

The Dragons board met on Tuesday night and set a four- to six-week timeline on finalising the appointment for 2021, the club hopeful of announcing the new coach before the end of this season.

7ce3782db04d4efe04d36d7b6c99646814c30ddf

Wayne Bennett during his time at the Dragons back in 2010.Credit:NRL Photos

The Dragons are after a defence-minded coach with an emphasis on discipline that has experienced a culture of success. It's the same philosophy Wayne Bennett brought to the club when he helped the club break its premiership drought back in 2010.

Roosters assistant coach and former Dragons player Craig Fitzgibbon, who is in charge of the defence of the back-to-back premiers, ticks all those boxes. Although it appears unlikely Fitzgibbon, one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the NRL, will walk out on the Roosters before the end of next season regardless of whether Nick Politis and Trent Robinson provide him with their blessing to take the job.

The board has asked chief executive Ryan Webb to draw up a hit-list of candidates that fits the criteria they outlined on Tuesday night, with some coaches already reaching out to the club to throw their hat in the ring.

Fitzgibbon, Paul Green, Anthony Griffin, Wayne Bennett, Todd Payten and interim coach Dean Young are all expected to be on the club's target list after parting ways with McGregor following last Friday's win against Parramatta.

375c22f1583460c1e59d45c3197717436ea430d7

Roosters coaching duo of Craig Fitzgibbon and Trent Robinson.Credit:NRL Photos

St George Illawarra officials believe they have the attacking prowess in their roster to make a dent in the competition, but defence remains a concern heading into next season.

Shane Flanagan will have to convince the NRL his suspension should be reduced by 12 months if he is to coach the Dragons in 2021, however the governing body appears to have little appetite in revisiting the issue.

Another coach who ticks all the boxes the Dragons are after is Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire, who is believed to have recently expressed interest in the Cowboys job via a third party.

The former Rabbitohs premiership-winning coach is renowned for his disciplinarian ways, but hasn't had success with a Tigers roster that is struggling to come to terms with his philosophy. Maguire only has one more season to run on his deal with the Tigers and is no guarantee of earning an extension given the fact he looks set to miss the finals for the second straight year at the club.

The last time the Dragons won a premiership in 2010, their campaign was built on the back of defence, with the club adamant it needs to adopt the same philosophy if it is to once again return to the top of the NRL.

While Bennett was the man at the helm when the Dragons broke their drought a decade ago, there are some at the club who are questioning whether he still has what it takes to do it again considering he turns 71 next year.

31d3e8ef00befb0817f150df1402c3acfdeeb8cb

St George Illawarra Dragons players during the win against Parramatta last week.Credit:NRL Photos

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ba...-of-coach-they-are-after-20200819-p55n7c.html

Thanks getsmarty, I enjoyed that read.

St George Illawarra have identified the qualities they want in their next coach, prioritising defence and discipline as the key characteristics in their search for Paul McGregor's successor.

I think that piece could well be an open letter to Fitzgibbon and It's fair and credit to for Fitzgibbon not wanting to break his contract and proves his loyalty.

Come on Dragons, just make it happen. Fitzgibbon could well be the "long term coach" the club needs.

SAP58

Juniors

I think that piece could well be an open letter to Fitzgibbon and It's fair and credit to for Fitzgibbon not wanting to break his contract and proves his loyalty.

Come on Dragons, just make it happen. Fitzgibbon could well be the "long term coach" the club needs.
Totally agree, Piggy Riddell said the same thing last week on radio and said Fitzy wont apply for the position because of his commitment to the Roosters but he believes it will be a different story if he is approached and offered the job and I dont thing they will stand in his way. He was talking like he had spoken to him or someone that knows him well. I personally dont want Bennett back, still p**sed off how he left us with so many back ended contracts, took us a few years to get over that.

George Sancti

Juniors
As much as I would like to see Wayne Bennett be appointed our next head coach, I do not see him being successful in a coaching director role. Bennett adopts a hands on approach. He is most skilful in helping a player believe in himself and developing good players into very good players. I wonder whether Dean Young or Ben Hornby would have reached the heights they did without Bennet.

On the other hand, the Coaching Director needs to be strategic and adopt a big picture approach. He needs to consider the short, medium and long terms and plan beyond the current core group of first graders and possibly the head coach as well. I suspect that he is a probably had his time, but Brian Smith would have made an excellent Coaching Director.

_Johnsy

Referee

While I understand the sentiment, the fact remains he’s still a rookie. It’s a given he’s served a long apprenticeship under one of the best modern coaches in the game. Is that enough for us moving forward? I’m not sure, it’s certainly going to be a tough decision to make.

RedVDave

First Grade
Turning 37 in October he's the youngest coach in the NRL (, John Morris would be on par)

He looked so different with glasses we have a side draw the next 2 weeks it'll be interesting to see how he goes against the knights, Raiders and Storm that is the real challenge.

possm

Coach
Not so sure after tonight
To tell you the truth, I did not see much difference in the game last night against the Broncos and what was happening under Mary.

Team selection was poor, game plan seemed to be the same old same old and the bench management was the same as it was under Mary. We had four forwards on the bench for a reason and a couple of our forwards definitely could have used rest to freshen up for another stint on the field.

The Broncos scored some easy tries that should never have been scored mainly due to poor defensive reads and players being out of position in defense.

SEAT 1A

Bench
While I understand the sentiment, the fact remains he’s still a rookie. It’s a given he’s served a long apprenticeship under one of the best modern coaches in the game. Is that enough for us moving forward? I’m not sure, it’s certainly going to be a tough decision to make.

You are correct, he is a rookie first grade coach.

He also is a very successful and long term assistant coach in the game when we see many assistant coaching positions move on year to year. Also, if you look at JD, he was assistant coach several years.

I agree, it will be a tough decision to make. A least we won't to wait to long.

George Sancti

Juniors
It was interesting watching the dynamic between Young and Flanagan in the coaches box after the game. Flanno definitely seems the 'mentor' now.

That is an interesting observation Dragonslayer. Dean Young and Shane Flanagan strike me as being very different personalities. Dean appears to be very forthright, whist I see Shane as being more calculating and willing to play the percentages. It will be interesting to see over the next five to ten weeks if they can become a winning combination, or fall apart. Both will have plenty to gain, if they can produce a sting of wins.

Dragon David

First Grade
My thoughts are that Dean would be offered the job as head coach for 2021. Flano would be offered an extension of his assistant coaching contract on the basis that he would be the head coach for 2022 going forward.

I cannot see any outsider coach coming to the club, including other assistants. Dean and Flano are there and I would hazard a guess that they are liked by the players in preference to Mary.

These are just my thoughts for this thread.

Gareth67

First Grade
My thoughts are that Dean would be offered the job as head coach for 2021. Flano would be offered an extension of his assistant coaching contract on the basis that he would be the head coach for 2022 going forward.

I cannot see any outsider coach coming to the club, including other assistants. Dean and Flano are there and I would hazard a guess that they are liked by the players in preference to Mary.

These are just my thoughts for this thread.

That is my take upon the situation also Dave . Have a horrible feeling that they ( the J.V. board ) had already made that decision - regardless of what they may say to the contrary.

There seems to be a lot of smoke screens and mirrors from the powers to be - which is par for course with our mob .

Still , I do sincerely hope that I am wrong with this assumption and the correct man is indeed appointed .

possm

Coach
The correct answer is they probably dont think anyone is ideal and are trying to weigh up whos best out of a suboptimal lot

We are likely to be doing the same
What makes you think that? Remember the Board extended Mary's agreement without a care about all the damage he was doing to the Club and our football team. So now all of a sudden they care? No they have set things up so that Young gets the job and only a catastrophe will prevent their desires. Mind you I doubt very much that they fully understand the mood of Dragon fans.

My suggestion to the board is to allow St George club members and join with Board members to vote for the new coach from a list of 5.

And if this is not going to happen, then I suggest and contract should only be a 12 month deal.

getsmarty

Immortal
Former Raiders coach Furner on Dragons coaching shortlist
Adrian Proszenko
August 22, 2020 — 2.07pm
Leave a comment

David Furner has emerged as a candidate for the vacant St George Illawarra coaching job as officials prepare a shortlist to replace long-time mentor Paul McGregor.

The Dragons began discussing the type of qualities they want from their next coach during a board meeting last week, with discipline and a strong defensive focus among the desired characteristics. Caretaker coach Dean Young is in the mix for the job on a full-time basis, his cause helped by a 28-24 win over Brisbane in his first game at the helm.
Young’s team has two winnable games coming up against the Titans and Cowboys, which could further boost his prospects if they keep their slim finals hopes alive.

At the pointy end of the Red V’s wishlist is Craig Fitzgibbon, the former Steelers and Dragons player who is now assisting Trent Robinson at the Roosters. The former NSW and Australian back-rower is considered the best credentialled of the options yet to hold a head coaching role, but has turned down all previous approaches and is expected to do so again because he wants to fulfil the final year of his contract.

While the Dragons are bracing for disappointment because of Fitzgibbon’s loyalty to Robinson and Nick Politis, they will still ask the question about his availability as part of their due diligence. Ditto Wayne Bennett, who has indicated he will see out the final year of his Rabbitohs contract before handing over to Jason Demetriou.

Other names on the Dragons list include Anthony Griffin, Kevin Walters, Laurie Daley and Furner. Current assistant Shane Flanagan would be a contender, but the NRL has indicated it will uphold his ban from head coaching positions next season. Former Cowboys coach Paul Green could also come into the mix, although it is believed he is watching events at Brisbane closely.

Furner, however, is an option the club is keen to explore. The former Kangaroos forward is one of the few potential candidates with NRL head coaching experience, having overseen 121 games at Canberra between 2009 and 2013 for a win percentage of 44 per cent.

The 49-year-old assisted Green when they won their inaugural premiership in 2015. He would have taken over as head coach at South Sydney, where he was an assistant, when Anthony Seibold left, but had already committed to Leeds.

5f7f1dbe9743f6d5a1635afa75b362bdba10aa8a

Former Raiders coach David Furner is a person of interest to the Dragons.Credit:Jeffrey Chan

Now an assistant to Adam O’Brien at Newcastle, he will become a genuine contender for the Dragons job if it interests him.

The Dragons are expected to take between four and six weeks to make an appointment.

North Queensland is also working through the contenders for Green’s old job. Interim coach Josh Hannay, Warriors fill-in Todd Payten, John Carwright, Griffin and Shaun Wane are among the final candidates.

Already this season there have been four coaches sacked or "let go": McGregor, Dean Pay, Stephen Kearney and Green. Brisbane’s Anthony Seibold is no sure thing to make it to the end of the season despite having a further three years to run on his contract.

However, some clubs are moving to re-sign their clipboard holders to end speculation about their future. The Titans have opened negotiations to extend the tenure of Justin Holbrook, whose contract expires at the end of next season. Gold Coast head of culture Mal Meninga last month predicted Holbrook would be considered one of the NRL’s greatest coaches by the time his career has finished.

“Justin is a really good coach at the start of his career and, by the time he finishes, I believe he will be talked about as one of the better ones that has gone around in the NRL over history,” he told the Herald at the time.

And Cronulla have opened negotiations to keep John Morris beyond next year. Morris was under pressure after the Sharks won just one of their first five games to open the season, however, they are now likely to contest the finals, despite a disappointing 38-12 loss to the Panthers on Friday night.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...agons-coaching-shortlist-20200822-p55oaj.html

Latest posts