Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by thebigredv, Aug 14, 2020.

?

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

1. Shane Flanagan (if available)

17.0%
  2. Shaun Wane

24.2%
  3. Wayne Bennett

12.7%
  4. Craig Fitzgibbon

19.4%
  5. Dean Young

4.2%
  6. Geoff Toovey

4.8%
  7. Anthony Griffin

14.5%
  8. Todd Payten

1.8%
  9. Paul Green

1.2%
  1. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

He’s out of the running for 2021 as is Flanno so we are going to have to look elsewhere. Im leaning towards Paul Green or Fitzy at this stage. Would take Tim Sheens as director of coaching as a smoky.

hazzbeen likes this.
  2. getsmarty

getsmarty Referee

It's crazy...if you are talking about Furner, Toovey has a 58 % win ratio and wants to return to the NRL coaching ranks....

3. ChocOConnor

ChocOConnor Juniors

There is a reason why Toovey hasn’t got past the initial application for the jobs he has applied previously. He is all heart Tooves but may lack the tactic side of the game.

Kylez3, Mjab, Inisai Toga and 2 others like this.
  4. George Sancti

George Sancti Juniors

If the club does have a senior coach lined up for 2022, and needs to fill the void for twelve months, then I hope they delay the decision until the end of 2021. Any considerer for extending Dean Young must be on the basis of his performance in all remaining games. Should an out of work coach such as Geoff Toovey come into calculations, then a one year contract with a second year extension in the Clubs favour should be the best on offer.

hewi likes this.
  5. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Bellamy would be great of course - as would Bennett, as they tick the criteria
    - & have
    impeccable CV’s

I think Bennett will be loathe to commit before the rather hastily announced 4-6 week deadline Webb imposed?

I mean the psychological impact on Souths might devastate their run to the finals.
    I remember when Bennett announced his departure from the Dragons mid 2011 we may have lost the next 9 games?

So it’s a tricky timeframe that could suit Deano in a way.

Also I doubt Bennett, Bellamy or even Fitzgibbon would formally apply - rather they’d want to be presented with the gig on a platter?

Yes Board renewal has to be the next phase of change

.... and I suspect Andrew Gordon has to wear a good degree of responsibility for the lost million to McGregor.
    Similarly the Bronco Board should go if Siebold costs them millions in payout for their similarly ludicrous decisions.

Perhaps Andy & Bruce,
    in an act of contrition,
    could stump up the big bucks

- to make the gig irresistible to Bellamy or Bennett?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    sco22, George Sancti, Mjab and 3 others like this.
  6. to_ddeath

to_ddeath Coach

they already tried to lure him over several years ago, offered more than they offered Bennett to stay.
    Was very close to happening apparently...remember something about support staff being an obstacle.

Como Connection likes this.
  7. Mjab

Mjab Juniors

That’s what I have been told by people I know at Manly

to_ddeath likes this.
  8. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Yes it does present a problem with Bennett in the way that you have suggested it Linespeed .

He could not - yet again do what no coach should ever do and place the success of his teams finals chances in jeopardy by committing to another team before the semis - it would be a cardinal sin .

However he has done it before , but in saying that he has said that he has no intention of going anywhere next year - have we heard those same words before from the great poker - player of the NRL ?

Nobody just ever knows what Bennett intends to do , only the man himself .

LINESPEED likes this.
  9. Como Connection

Como Connection Bench

Thanks for the information, there is always someone on here to rubbish information received and passed on in good faith.
    Keep up the good work.
    CC

10. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Well according to Rothfield Flanagan will be departing at seasons end. So just maybe a senior coach is coming with young as assistant?

11. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

Hopefully that is a win win. I like the look of Young, he speaks well and he’s the sort of player I think make good coaches in that he’s not gifted but has squeezed every ounce of talent out of himself and can do the same with other players. Bellamy was the same. I would like to see him continue under the mentoring of an experienced coach until he’s ready. We also get rid of Flanno of whom I’m not a fan. Has a real dishonest, backstabbing vibe to me.

ALSGI, Dragsters and blacksafake like this.
  12. sco22

sco22 Juniors

f**k that he’s useless been sacked twice no way get Bennett or Bellamy that’s it no more juniors

redv13, to_ddeath, SGMax and 2 others like this.
  13. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

The coaching circus is getting weirder by the day.

My latest take on this is:

After re-listening to Young's coaches preview, I'm wondering if he inadvertantly let a little cat out of the bag.
    His reply to a question about the head coaching position was interesting, basically saying "ask me again in 6 weeks wether I WANT the job or not".
    Add to this that the club seeks to announce a new coach in 4-6 weeks.

I also think along the lines that the club is seeking a "coaching director' rather than a 'new coach'. This would also tie in to the latest rumour that Flanno wont be here next year. Strange also that Bennet endorsed Young as coach.

So, my theory:
    Young = head coach
    Bennet = coaching director (ie: recruitement magnet)

Anyway, just my latest theory, who knows, it will probably change again tomorrow.

Mjab, cussy, redv13 and 3 others like this.
  14. hazzbeen

hazzbeen Bench

Like I said before Bring Back Mary .... Its getting too hard :p

15. SAP58

SAP58 Juniors

Webb did say in an interview he liked the structure which involved the appointment of a coaching director as it worked well in his previous roles. Based on reports I think they will appoint a coaching director but their preference would still be a more experienced coach than Young in the head role but he is the back up plan if they cant get who they want. If Seibold leaves today and Green is announced as his replacement that is one less candidate that meets their reported requirements in the market.

16. Dragons4lyf95

Dragons4lyf95 Juniors

Where's the source? not what I am hearing.. Rothfield can talk some utter shit

17. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Was supposedly in the Sunday Tele what's the buzz section.
    Someone posted it on Twitter.

TruSaint likes this.
  18. Inisai Toga

Inisai Toga Juniors

Your right SAP58, it does! However, i must say, i'm ok with Saints overlooking Paul Green and letting him taking up a position at the Broncos.

I was continually astonished by the lack of imagination and same game plan that the Cowboys continually kept producing every week under his tenure. Easy to say .."Thurston this and Thurston that" but with that squad they could have been a bit more creative that the last few years. In my opinion, he failed to reinvent the side after they won the comp and despite making the GF i felt became too obvious in in their approach.

So why pay overs for that type of coaching again? Pass..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  19. redv13

redv13 Juniors

I don’t like that joke...

Dragsters and hazzbeen like this.
  20. redv13

redv13 Juniors

They are saying KW for the broncs not PG