What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

possm

Coach
If the club does have a senior coach lined up for 2022, and needs to fill the void for twelve months, then I hope they delay the decision until the end of 2021. Any considerer for extending Dean Young must be on the basis of his performance in all remaining games. Should an out of work coach such as Geoff Toovey come into calculations, then a one year contract with a second year extension in the Clubs favour should be the best on offer.
I doubt the Board are looking for a coach who will start in 2022. In my opinion there is one twist to this tale and that is that Bellamy moves out to make way for C Smith to retire and become head coach thus giving the Storm all the cap they need to recruit or retain key players.

Aside from the above circumstance being the case, it looks to me that Wane has the best chance of being appointed. I just do not know why the delay in announcing this right now unless of course, the above suggestion is in play and final negotiations are under-way.

So now I can rest easy, it's either Wane or Bellamy and in either case it is a huge upgrade.

Mjab

Juniors
Yes it does present a problem with Bennett in the way that you have suggested it Linespeed .

He could not - yet again do what no coach should ever do and place the success of his teams finals chances in jeopardy by committing to another team before the semis - it would be a cardinal sin .

However he has done it before , but in saying that he has said that he has no intention of going anywhere next year - have we heard those same words before from the great poker - player of the NRL ?

Nobody just ever knows what Bennett intends to do , only the man himself .
Webb did say in an interview he liked the structure which involved the appointment of a coaching director as it worked well in his previous roles. Based on reports I think they will appoint a coaching director but their preference would still be a more experienced coach than Young in the head role but he is the back up plan if they cant get who they want. If Seibold leaves today and Green is announced as his replacement that is one less candidate that meets their reported requirements in the market.

It will be interesting to see if its Green or Walters at Broncs

Mjab

Juniors
I doubt the Board are looking for a coach who will start in 2022. In my opinion there is one twist to this tale and that is that Bellamy moves out to make way for C Smith to retire and become head coach thus giving the Storm all the cap they need to recruit or retain key players.

Aside from the above circumstance being the case, it looks to me that Wane has the best chance of being appointed. I just do not know why the delay in announcing this right now unless of course, the above suggestion is in play and final negotiations are under-way.

So now I can rest easy, it's either Wane or Bellamy and in either case it is a huge upgrade.

Not sure if you can rest easy Possm, in reality I don't think anyone on the forum really knows what will pan out from here or who will have beyond this year

Dragon David

First Grade
Somehow I have this feeling that now the Club has rid Mary from the coaching staff, the big boys of the board are wanting to change direction for the better and bring the Dragons up to the elite level it richly deserves after the past disastrous 8 years.

They now have the absolute chance to have sweeping changes brought in to make us a club others will want to join.

Their aim I am sure is to bring in an astute coach capable of making the Dragons a top 4 team in the next 1-2 years and recruit the right players to compliment each other in both the forwards and backs.

This is the opportunity to break away from the shackles and spend the cap monies on players that are not anywhere near retirement age and make the squad (26-28 possibly) much stronger than what it is now. The new coach will have a lot more input into the players that will be needed.

As I said, this is now the chance to do everything possible to make us great again and allow us fans to be very proud once more and enable increase in memberships and product sales.

Mjab

Juniors
Somehow I have this feeling that now the Club has rid Mary from the coaching staff, the big boys of the board are wanting to change direction for the better and bring the Dragons up to the elite level it richly deserves after the past disastrous 8 years.

They now have the absolute chance to have sweeping changes brought in to make us a club others will want to join.

Their aim I am sure is to bring in an astute coach capable of making the Dragons a top 4 team in the next 1-2 years and recruit the right players to compliment each other in both the forwards and backs.

This is the opportunity to break away from the shackles and spend the cap monies on players that are not anywhere near retirement age and make the squad (26-28 possibly) much stronger than what it is now. The new coach will have a lot more input into the players that will be needed.

As I said, this is now the chance to do everything possible to make us great again and allow us fans to be very proud once more and enable increase in memberships and product sales.

Love it to be true but the BOD have shown there incompetence too many times for my liking. Webb may come thru with the goods as he rid us of the peanut. What your suggesting would be fantastic and would be driven by the coaching decision. More chance of them Fking up than showing insight IMO

Gareth67

First Grade

Sincerely pray that this is indeed the case D.Dave .

hazzbeen

Bench

Let's hope so ....

George Sancti

Juniors

Great Post Dragon David.

There are positives. The club is financial, we have a fair roster with very good juniors coming through, the board (finally) took action on the coaching situation and the sacking of PM was handled with dignity.

Surely the board must now realise that they do not possess the skills to make appropriate judgements on coaching arrangements. Therefore, their only option is to appoint a senior coach to whom they can delegate full responsibility.

possm

Coach
Not sure if you can rest easy Possm, in reality I don't think anyone on the forum really knows what will pan out from here or who will have beyond this year
Yes I agree, my good mate phoned tonight to tell me he has heard that Bellamy is interested in coaching the Broncos. Big money on offer!

George Sancti

Juniors

I hope you are correct on the Bellamy or Wane fronts Possm.

If the club is close to a deal with Bellamy or Wane or Bennett, any announcement will not occur until their respective teams and those of the Dragons are complete for 2020.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes I agree, my good mate phoned tonight to tell me he has heard that Bellamy is interested in coaching the Broncos. Big money on offer!
I wonder if Lachlan Murdoch will be involved to get Bellamy to the Broncos like he did to get Bennett back there when Bennett was just about signed to re-join the Dragons and in the eleventh hour Murdoch dangled the magic money wand to entice him back to the Broncos.

It must be a great feeling knowing that you are wanted.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
If the club is close to a deal with Bellamy or Wane or Bennett, any announcement will not occur until their respective teams and those of the Dragons are complete for 2020.

I don't see the benefit in our management announcing our new coach/coaching director at the end of the season, mate. We have players to retain/recruit and by not being able to show a clear direction we are only doing ourselves a disservice.

It is clear to me that by not announcing a new coach in the immediate aftermath of letting Mary go, our management are doing what they do best which is reactionary decision making.

No way are we going to end up with anyone that isnt Dean Young in my opinion, I hope I'm wrong though!

possm

Coach
Great Post Dragon David.

There are positives. The club is financial, we have a fair roster with very good juniors coming through, the board (finally) took action on the coaching situation and the sacking of PM was handled with dignity.

Surely the board must now realise that they do not possess the skills to make appropriate judgements on coaching arrangements. Therefore, their only option is to appoint a senior coach to whom they can delegate full responsibility.
Ian Millward, come on down! Mark my words.

Any good coach will want control over recruitment and retention. I imagine he would also want a say over pathways. So Millward gets a promotion and gets to run the whole show. All makes good sense dosn't it?

George Sancti

Juniors
I don't see the benefit in our management announcing our new coach/coaching director at the end of the season, mate. We have players to retain/recruit and by not being able to show a clear direction we are only doing ourselves a disservice.

It is clear to me that by not announcing a new coach in the immediate aftermath of letting Mary go, our management are doing what they do best which is reactionary decision making.

No way are we going to end up with anyone that isnt Dean Young in my opinion, I hope I'm wrong though!

From a Dragons perspective you make a good argument. However, the other party is likely to have stipulated confidentiality as part of the negotiations.

George Sancti

Juniors
Ian Millward, come on down! Mark my words.

Any good coach will want control over recruitment and retention. I imagine he would also want a say over pathways. So Millward gets a promotion and gets to run the whole show. All makes good sense dosn't it?

You missed my point Possm.

By delegating full responsibility to the incoming coach, the director of pathways would report to the new coach.

Hard for me to understand why we would hire a coach out of the ESL.
NRL is not the ESL and even if Wane is a genuine prospect it is still another gamble.
Bennett, Fitzgibbon and Toovey any day of the week would do a great job at St. George in no particular order.