What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

TruSaint

Referee
An indication of why a massive shift is needed. No band aid solutions.

Warriors have had the most disruptive season I can recall between Covid relocation, sacked coach, and so forth.

They would have all the excuses to win the spoon.

They are ahead of us on the ladder.

TruSaint

Referee
Interesting statment by Mick Ennis on Fox re: Todd Payton, saying he's a special for the Cows job.

He has a connection to the Cows.

In October 2014, Payten joined the North Queensland Cowboys as their NYC head coach for the 2015 season and assistant to head coach Paul Green's NRL side.[16] On 4 October 2015, Payten was a member of the Cowboys' coaching staff in the side's 17-16 Grand Final victory over the Brisbane Broncos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Payten

What a wasted game for us last night. Could have been just the one win behind the Sharks.
If the Sharks loose tonight we will be kicking ourselves.
In saying that we have lost games this year to the Dogs, Warriors and now Titans. Games we should win and have lead with ten minutes to go in four games this year and it results in a loss.
Mental toughness is lacking big time.

SAP58

Juniors
Hunt is a long term expensive signing we invested in, we need a coach that can get the best out of him. Wonder how he would play under Payton ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I would be happy with either Wane or Payton. Both have similar pedigree being former forwards. Wane onviously with more experience.
Something about the delay by Nth Qld in announcing their new coach indicates to me that maybe the one they want hasnt agreed yet.

I'm not comfortable with Griffin, probably just me but I just dont think hes the 'suitable' choice.

TruSaint

Referee
Payton's credentials are essentially no different to Ryles or Fitzy.

I like them all, as they have come from successful systems. But again "unproven". We should not go down this path again. Its as if we haven't learnt from a decade of failure.

Hopefully in the coming week we will hear of an appointment that has experience coaching at the NRL level.

Im confident the club won't take a punt at this point and have heard that a decision now that we are out of the race for top 8, will be sooner than we thought.

TruSaint

Referee
Payton was offered the warriors job and turned it down as it is common knowledge up here in QLD and reported by the media that he wants the cows job.

Fairly confident in saying he won't be our next coach as his name hasn't even been mentioned as a possible candidate.

With respect to Payton, he shouldn't be a candidate for us, even if he ends up being a maestro.
NQ have moved on from a premiership winning coach. They have a window to risk the next appt.
We don't.

Mjab

Juniors
Payton's credentials are essentially no different to Ryles or Fitzy.

I like them all, as they have come from successful systems. But again "unproven". We should not go down this path again. Its as if we haven't learnt from a decade of failure.

Hopefully in the coming week we will hear of an appointment that has experience coaching at the NRL level.

Im confident the club won't take a punt at this point and have heard that a decision now that we are out of the race for top 8, will be sooner than we thought.
If true that would imply Griffin then as Bennett won’t derail this year
The longer they wait the more likely they are trying to nab Bennett

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very interesting article on Fox website about cost slashing for mext year and beyond. You have to read dowm a bit but 2 points are very telling and will impact us significantly; those being:

1. 2021 salary cap will he reduced (slightly, whatever that means in $$$)

2. 2021 clubs football department cap slashed from $6.17m to $5m.

Point 2 really impacts us heavily as we have to factor into our budget the payout to McGregor. Also, the amount of $$$ available now to entice an experienced coach has to have taken a major hit. Maybe our meditation guru and our other hangers-on will have to be showm the door, hopefully!

If it was reported correctly and we are close to already being at cap capacity, the chances of us signing anyone significant just took another bite.

As I said before, we are in a very, very deep hole.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/125e8666a5a96a61f20b8ee7844d4a07

twinkletoes

Juniors
Interesting article by Danny Weidler this morning...believe it or not!!

Red V still want Fitzy

He may have knocked them back, but there’s no question the coach the Dragons still want is Craig Fitzgibbon. Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin get mentioned by Dragons insiders, but the forward thinkers say ‘‘Fitzy’’ is their future. He is still priority No.1 among the Dragons hierarchy.

Fitzgibbon was the first choice for the Warriors job. The Cowboys wanted him, too. Despite the knockbacks, the Dragons are adamant he is their future. He’s got the club in his bloodlines and it would be a great story: 'the local boy returns' has a good feeling to it.

The problem for the Dragons is, unlike many in rugby league, Fitzgibbon is a man of his word.

4c764d0c2bfa39ef1b9fcee490294fb5b47ab0bd

Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, right, with Boyd Cordner.CREDIT:GETTY

Earning a good salary – believed to be $350,000 a year – it’s not likely Fitzgibbon will be approaching Roosters supremo Nick Politis to ask if he can leave. The only way it’s going to happen is if the Dragons can make it happen.

New Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb doesn’t have a relationship with Politis, so maybe a board member like Peter Doust will need to step in. Either that or an intermediary will need to be found

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons really want Craig Fitzgibbon as their new coach, Danny Weidler reports
By WWOS staff
2 hours ago
The Dragons actually want former player Craig Fitzgibbon as their new coach, Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler has revealed.

While St George Illawarra insiders have floated veteran coaches Wayne Bennett and Anthony Griffin as leading options, Roosters assistant Fitzgibbon is the No.1 choice, Weidler wrote in his Sun Herald column.

Immortal Andrew Johns has been a leading advocate of Fitzgibbon getting the Dragons job - but the club is being frustrated in its wishes.

Fitzgibbon has vowed to see out the final season of his contract with the Roosters next year before considering head coaching jobs. He is believed to be on $350,000 per season at the Roosters, Weidler reported, and has already rejected advances from the Warriors and Cowboys.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc488696c-168d-42a9-a121-bda785a7f6d5

Craig Fitzgibbon (R) with Roosters captain Boyd Cordner after their round 13 win over the Dragons. (Getty)
The Dragons' only hope would be to establish a successful dialogue with all-powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis; a delicate task made more difficult by the fact that rookie CEO Ryan Webb has no existing relationship with Politis.

St George Illawarra were left in a complicated situation after parting ways with coach Paul McGregor, given that assistant Shane Flanagan is banned from becoming a head coach until the end of next season. Like Fitzgibbon, Flanagan is an attractive option to take over the side but is unavailable.

Weidler spoke with McGregor in the wake of his exit. The departed coach has reunited with his ill father, Frank, having left the NRL's biosecurity bubble and declared: "I've got unfinished business in football."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/st-geo...-weidler/40a910f1-33b9-4bc1-bf71-0650c5fe2789

to_ddeath

Coach
Fitzgibbon won’t come to us period...he’d know what kind of basket case he’ll be walking into.
For me I’m leaning towards Payten or Wane. If Bennett is Brisbane-bound.