1. Origin I Edition OUT NOW:

The latest issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for next week's State of Origin opener and upcoming Super League matches!

As the interstate rivalry amps up in the NRL post-season for the first time, Paul Jobber talks to Boyd Cordner as the Blues skipper aims for a NSW three-peat, while Rick Edgerton looks at how Origin will unfold in a post-COVID world. League-mad fans Mark Thierry and Emile El-Azar share their lives in locked-down Victoria during the COVID-disrupted year and Andrew Ferguson looks at how the Storm and Roosters of the current era compare with the great dynasties of years gone by.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the Origin match programme along with teamlists and details for the week's Super League matches - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine! Happy reading!

EDITION 23 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by thebigredv, Aug 14, 2020.

?

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

1. Shane Flanagan (if available)

17.0%
  2. Shaun Wane

24.2%
  3. Wayne Bennett

12.7%
  4. Craig Fitzgibbon

19.4%
  5. Dean Young

4.2%
  6. Geoff Toovey

4.8%
  7. Anthony Griffin

14.5%
  8. Todd Payten

1.8%
  9. Paul Green

1.2%
  1. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Whoever they get make it 2 years tops with an 1 year extension based on criteria such as make finals. 3 years with the wrong coach will kill Saints as they have a good group of juniors coming through and if the coach is like Mary they will leave.

Mjab and Coffs dragon like this.
  2. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

3. Gomarchin

Gomarchin Juniors

What’s the fascination with Fitzgibbon? Has he coached anyone? Being an assistant at a successful club does not make you a good first grade coach.

Mjab, blue bags, Dragsters and 11 others like this.
  4. blacksafake

blacksafake Guest

Fitzgibbon left is at the first opportunity when playing so I can’t see him riding in on his horse to rescue us.
    I’m expecting Young got be given the job :weary:

5. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Bench

Seems to have worked for Paul Green, Justin Holbrook & Adam O’Brien whom have all been assistants under Trent Robinson at the Roosters.
    Green went onto win a GF and the other 2 have improved their teams considerably in their 1st year.
    Worth a shot IMO!

6. This Just In...

This Just In... Juniors

Though the Board effectively answers to no one, you'd hope (surely) that they've learnt something from the last two rookie appointments. Especially with regards to internal ones...

7. ChocOConnor

ChocOConnor Juniors

The man we need is Wane the Pom.

Although people brag about Fitzgibbon and I believe he will make an outstanding coach, I think I could look good as an assistant to that roosters side.

8. Gomarchin

Gomarchin Juniors

Green and Holbrook both coached under 20’s with success. The only coaching Fitzgibbon has done is two games for country and both were losses. Risky move.

Tuddy, blue bags, Dragsters and 4 others like this.
  9. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

Well if that is the case then Wane would still be available. Unless his preference was working only in an almost covid -19 free state of Queensland .

10. Dragon David

Dragon David Juniors

Yes, you would think that Wane would still be available. Has the Dragons identified him as a candidate for the head coach position?

Gareth67 likes this.
  11. Gareth67

Gareth67 First Grade

I do hope so DD - He should had been included in their preferred list of candidates - if they were after someone who was a hard taskmaster.

However in saying that I am also quite sure that if Wane is worth his salt he would had done some homework on the Joint Ventures true situation.

In as much he had asked himself the following - “ Would I be restricted in what I could do , the players I could buy , are the J.V’s board as dysfunctional as reported ? “

Perhaps the previous paragraph has already given the man the answers to those questions , meaning that he shall pack his bags and return to England ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  12. jak

jak Juniors

shh

Gareth67 likes this.
  13. FlameThrower

FlameThrower Bench

Been saying this for ages...

14. Wittenberg

Wittenberg Juniors

I think we are being led to Fitzgibbon by Fittler, Johns and the rest of the main characters in the rugby league media circus. We to get him his price will inflate greatly, if we don’t get him the media will label whoever ends up as our new coach as a second rater who the club really didn’t want. Either way Nic and the Bondi boys come out on top. Then again maybe I have been in isolation too long and are starting to create my own far fetched conspiracy theories......

Inisai Toga, jak and SGMax like this.
  15. redv13

redv13 Juniors

I say fu** Fitzgibbon and all his muppet hangeroners like Fittler, A Johns and the other dero’s who are pushing his barrow to be our coach. We need an experienced coach not the next little kiddy on the production line. Assistants at great clubs don’t always make it, Kearney and Walters are 2 examples. Brad Arthur has battled too for most of his career. Barrett has been put up there too for zero return!!!

Wacky, Inisai Toga and Gomarchin like this.
  16. Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer First Grade

The carousel keeps going round and round.
    Seems anybody and everybody's name being thrown about for the remaining head coach vacancies.
    We can scratch Payten off now and good on him, best of luck at the Cows.

Leaves us and the Broncos rudderless atm.

Broncos have rumoured - Walters, Green and Bennett, although I think Bennet isnt a reality for them just paper talk imo. There is no mention of any other contender. I think either of Walters or Green will get it, the other will coach QLD SOO.

For the Dragons -
    firstly if Fitzy was keen enough he'd request the 'release' from the Roosters, not us having to beg for his services, so he can f^[email protected] off. Pretty clear he'll be Robinsons successor in any case.
    It seems to me that Griffin is firming as the almost unbackable favourite for the job. Bennett still a chance, but only in a directorship role, which would mean Young as HC. No thanks. The others include Wane (still my choice), but that would mean Young staying on as assistant, and the final one would be Flanno, but again that would meam Young as IHC for another full year. No thanks.

This to me is where it sits. Griffin, i'm not a fan of. He may well be the one who can turn us around, but hes not a real man manager (apparantly). I dont see how he attracts players to the club. I still say Wane is our best option, would bring all the qualities needed to dig us out of this very large hole we are in.

17. Forbes Creek Dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons Bench

For me I’d be going super hard for Wane, don’t try to play hard to get. Go in and kiss his a$$, get it done. If he has declined the job flat out and we also can’t get Fitzy I’d just sign up Griffin straight away. We need to start building a roster. We already missed out on Welch because of it.

Tuddy, Mjab, Dragon David and 5 others like this.
  18. matPORTS

matPORTS Juniors

Wane or Griffin will be far and away better options than what we've had in the past eight or so seasons, and far and away better than any rookie assistants who are currently available & part of the rumor mill.

But this also sums up how much of a rut we really are in at the moment, especially as all roads also seem to lead to Dean Young remaining on staff in some capacity.

Likewise, until we know who our head coach for 2021 and beyond is going to be, we are stuck in a holding pattern in terms of our roster. We need someone hired and making management based decisions for the roster (and staff) right now. No time to waste !

Wane might take a bit longer to get here if he is the man. Griffin could (and probably should) start work immediately.

Tuddy, Mjab, Dragon David and 4 others like this.
  19. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

For mine stop all this toing and froing and announce our new coach now.....Im pretty convinced they know who it is....we need to put the last 7 plus years behind us and start building our roster for the future...if it means players like Frizz, Aitken and whoever else is going standing aside for the rest of the season then so beit....its their choice to leave the club so time to give our future their turn....tough call but weve a lot of ground to make up so lets cut the bullshit and get on with it now

20. boardlumps62

boardlumps62 Juniors

Good things come to those who wait children. All in good time. An announcement soon for my birthday. Make a good Christmas Present.
    Please I will take anything but a Rookie.
    Can our ex-coach throw his hat in the ring shouldn't be classed as a Rookie anymore. Fu$#$&K would that be funny. Nah doesn't qualify yippee!!!

WoyD4LWoy likes this.