What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

Mjab

Juniors
Does anyone think that Green is an option if he doesn’t get the Broncos job and is this why there is a delay ?

slippery5

Juniors
Lets be clear here.
A lot of rumours about falling out with players, but very little substantiated.

He did have a fallout with the muppet Gould ( who also sacked Cleary only now to rehire him ), and he had a fallout with the Broncos board ( easy done when Wayne wants to come back ).

Those fallous were public.

If he's tough on players, well thats great. Kit gloves and all that hasnt worked for us.
Not to mention Moylan, had the balls to get rid of the egotistical look how good I am.....

Brisbane made a grand final 2 years after his departure.

Penrith are going to win a minor premiership 2 years after his departure.

Both sides squads comprise players the majority of which debuted under or signed with Griffin as coach.

So not sure what you're basing your opinion on.

It's a shame he is only been a bridesmaid so far, but give him an extended run at our club and we could see him become a big beautiful bride.
I think you need to consider the two squads he had to work with.
He won’t have that luxury at STI.
At best he is second tier.
I am sick of compromises.

RedVDave

First Grade
Does anyone think that Green is an option if he doesn’t get the Broncos job and is this why there is a delay ?
I think this could have some merit I think Green would be a good choice, I don't want Furner or Henry though.

possm

Coach
I think you need to consider the two squads he had to work with.
He won’t have that luxury at STI.
At best he is second tier.
I am sick of compromises.
If the Penrith template was used to full effect by St George, than there is no reason why we would not be right up there with the best.

Our problem is all related to focus. Too many of our management team are focussed on themselves and power plays rather than of on what is best for SGI.

TruSaint

Referee
None of the short list including Griffin, are good enough to build a premiership winning Team.
Total waste of time.

I don't think the next appointment is about winning a premiership mate.

This is not a Brown over to Bennett situation.

Its about steadying the ship and injecting some much needed hard truths into players. Blooding new talent, and Griffin is good at both. He is not my ideal choice, but he is what we need now from the available options. .

We are years away from challenging for the title. Both ON and OFF the field.

possm

Coach
I don't think the next appointment is about winning a premiership mate.

This is not a Brown over to Bennett situation.

Its about steadying the ship and injecting some much needed hard truths into players. Blooding new talent, and Griffin is good at both. He is not my ideal choice, but he is what we need now from the available options. .

We are years away from challenging for the title. Both ON and OFF the field.
In priority order, my preferred applicant to become our head coach is:
Wane
Griffin
Furner
Young

Let whoever is made head coach pick his own staff as in the end he will be held responsible for outcomes.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Fine.

But Wane is not even in the conversation. So you agree from the batch left, Griffin is the only choice.

Yeah, but if they had picked a short list of Young and my two kids, you would pick Young (probably LOL)... so although a clear and valid point, and one I totally agree with, it kinda by-passes a big issue.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' roster as good as any of top-four sides, says Furner
Adrian Proszenko
September 6, 2020 — 12.01am
David Furner has opened up about his "burning desire" to become St George Illawarra's next coach, believing he would be inheriting a roster capable of competing for the top four next year.

Furner, Anthony Griffin and Dean Young are the front runners to replace Paul McGregor after making their pitches for the job to the Dragons board on Thursday. Speaking exclusively to The Sun-Herald, Furner said the Red V wasn't in need of a rebuild and said Ben Hunt's best position is still halfback.

"I think it's the long history of the Steelers and Dragons which excites me most about the club," Furner said. "Along with its rugby league nursery, that makes me feel the club has a bright future that I want to be part of as head coach.

"The club has such a strong history and following so it needs to ensure everyone is on the bus together from board members, admin staff, football staff and players to drive a winning culture.

"Jack Gibson said many years ago, 'Winning starts at the front office'. We just need all parts of the club on the bus together to get the result. I am confident in those within the club."

The Dragons came into the round in 10th spot and are almost certain to miss the finals series for a second straight year. Some commentators believe the roster is in need of an overhaul, with several big names struggling to live up to their pay packets. However, Furner believes the Dragons are not a club in need of a rebuild.

8b3c930d2745fe6cec5d0dbaaa344d8ea90acc09

David Furner says Ben Hunt's best position is fullback and that the Dragons' roster isn't in need of an overhaul.Credit:Getty

"No I don't believe it is," he said. "They are up there in a lot of team stats comparisons and the roster, in my eyes, is strong enough to rival any of the top-four sides. They are losing some personnel next season, which will need to be replaced, either internally or externally. I see a lot of upside to the roster and the club."

One of the biggest questions the next St George Illawarra coach will have to answer is how best to utilise Ben Hunt. The Maroons and Kangaroos star arrived at the club as a marquee halfback, but has been shifted to hooker in a bid to get the spine to gel.

"I think Ben is a halfback but must stand up and take ownership of the team, plus be given the support and tools to do it from the coaching staff," Furner said.

4ae4c0afbf16f7bf7b98cf35dd18858e5a445080

Former Raiders coach David Furner is one of three men in line to be the Dragons next head coach.Credit:Getty

Asked about the vision he pitched to the Dragons board, Furner said: "I don't want to go into detail as I want to respect the process. But I will say I have a burning desire to be the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons club and feel I can bring a tough mentality, discipline which will help build a successful team."

After finishing an illustrious playing career, Furner has had a variety of roles with the clipboard. The premiership-winning Kangaroos forward was head coach of the Raiders for 121 matches, assisted Paul Green when the Cowboys won their inaugural premiership and may well have taken over at South Sydney, where he was an assistant, when Anthony Seibold left, but had already committed to Leeds.

"I didn't want to go back on my word," Furner said.

Former Raiders coach Furner on Dragons coaching shortlist
He is now assisting Anthony O'Brien at Newcastle. The 49-year-old believes he will make for a better head coach now for all of his experiences.

"Definitely, all experiences, good and bad, help you grow as a person," he said. "All of those professional experiences have helped me grow into the coach I am today, which is a very passionate players' coach that players can count on, an extremely driven coach that will leave no stone unturned in pursuit of helping the players and the club win a premiership."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...p-four-sides-says-furner-20200905-p55spe.html

Warabrook saint

Juniors
In priority order, my preferred applicant to become our head coach is:
Wane
Griffin
Furner
Young

Let whoever is made head coach pick his own staff as in the end he will be held responsible for outcomes.
Why would you even mention one flung dung

HenryTatana

Juniors
Fairfax (owner of Channel 9 and employer of Gus) have certainly let the attack dogs out. After Webster’s spray last week today it’s Weidler’s turn about Griffin’s social media accounts and his likes. Then there is the other article on Furner stating that we have a top 4 squad.

Wonder if the Board are dumb enough to listen to Gus again?

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Fairfax (owner of Channel 9 and employer of Gus) have certainly let the attack dogs out. After Webster’s spray last week today it’s Weidler’s turn about Griffin’s social media accounts and his likes. Then there is the other article on Furner stating that we have a top 4 squad.

Wonder if the Board are dumb enough to listen to Gus again?

Hopefully not after Gus hung them out to dry by saying our review he coordinated at the board's request wasnt a review.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Yep it’s getting a bit of time this pounding of Griffen.

Up until last week there was never any issues with anything posted on his social media account and today it’s an issue. The problem at panthers I’m not sure on but someone once suggested 2-3 players didn’t like his style. The 2 I can recall are Moylan and Peachey. Now we know he had good reason to move them on. And then there was the issue with the NRL version of Vladimir Putin (aka Gus Gould).

if he doesn’t like you or you stand up to him either him or his stooges concertedly drive you to your grave.

Whilst he is not the Perfect man manager type of coach he knows how to coach.

And if we are going to listen to anything Gus and his stooges say. Well look at what was the result last time. A complete fabrication of the truth led by the one and only Vladimir Gus Gould Putin

Dragons' roster as good as any of top-four sides, says Furner
Adrian Proszenko
September 6, 2020 — 12.01am
David Furner has opened up about his "burning desire" to become St George Illawarra's next coach, believing he would be inheriting a roster capable of competing for the top four next year.

Furner, Anthony Griffin and Dean Young are the front runners to replace Paul McGregor after making their pitches for the job to the Dragons board on Thursday. Speaking exclusively to The Sun-Herald, Furner said the Red V wasn't in need of a rebuild and said Ben Hunt's best position is still halfback.

"I think it's the long history of the Steelers and Dragons which excites me most about the club," Furner said. "Along with its rugby league nursery, that makes me feel the club has a bright future that I want to be part of as head coach.

"The club has such a strong history and following so it needs to ensure everyone is on the bus together from board members, admin staff, football staff and players to drive a winning culture.

"Jack Gibson said many years ago, 'Winning starts at the front office'. We just need all parts of the club on the bus together to get the result. I am confident in those within the club."

The Dragons came into the round in 10th spot and are almost certain to miss the finals series for a second straight year. Some commentators believe the roster is in need of an overhaul, with several big names struggling to live up to their pay packets. However, Furner believes the Dragons are not a club in need of a rebuild.

8b3c930d2745fe6cec5d0dbaaa344d8ea90acc09

David Furner says Ben Hunt's best position is fullback and that the Dragons' roster isn't in need of an overhaul.Credit:Getty

"No I don't believe it is," he said. "They are up there in a lot of team stats comparisons and the roster, in my eyes, is strong enough to rival any of the top-four sides. They are losing some personnel next season, which will need to be replaced, either internally or externally. I see a lot of upside to the roster and the club."

One of the biggest questions the next St George Illawarra coach will have to answer is how best to utilise Ben Hunt. The Maroons and Kangaroos star arrived at the club as a marquee halfback, but has been shifted to hooker in a bid to get the spine to gel.

"I think Ben is a halfback but must stand up and take ownership of the team, plus be given the support and tools to do it from the coaching staff," Furner said.

4ae4c0afbf16f7bf7b98cf35dd18858e5a445080

Former Raiders coach David Furner is one of three men in line to be the Dragons next head coach.Credit:Getty

Asked about the vision he pitched to the Dragons board, Furner said: "I don't want to go into detail as I want to respect the process. But I will say I have a burning desire to be the head coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons club and feel I can bring a tough mentality, discipline which will help build a successful team."

After finishing an illustrious playing career, Furner has had a variety of roles with the clipboard. The premiership-winning Kangaroos forward was head coach of the Raiders for 121 matches, assisted Paul Green when the Cowboys won their inaugural premiership and may well have taken over at South Sydney, where he was an assistant, when Anthony Seibold left, but had already committed to Leeds.

"I didn't want to go back on my word," Furner said.

Former Raiders coach Furner on Dragons coaching shortlist
He is now assisting Anthony O'Brien at Newcastle. The 49-year-old believes he will make for a better head coach now for all of his experiences.

"Definitely, all experiences, good and bad, help you grow as a person," he said. "All of those professional experiences have helped me grow into the coach I am today, which is a very passionate players' coach that players can count on, an extremely driven coach that will leave no stone unturned in pursuit of helping the players and the club win a premiership."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...p-four-sides-says-furner-20200905-p55spe.html

I want some of the stuff DF is smoking

Coffs dragon

Bench
It’s become like target practice with Fairfax and their shots at Griffin in the media.
I just hope our club has some alternative and legitimate candidates to consider, as the 3 selected interviewees would only make a half decent coach if all their strengths were combined into one coach.
IMO they all have glaring faults and are just inexpensive Half arsed solutions.