What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Next Coach

Our Next Coach for 2021

• Total voters

possm

Coach
To me it seems as though the old boys have Dean Young as the preferred next coach. Mary to go early next season and replaced with an interim coach in Dean Young. Then Dean Young gets a 3 year deal just as Dad has been working for for the past 3 years.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Just read on Fox sports that Simon Woolford will return from the UK as head coach of Huddersfield to take up an assistant coaching role with the RedV.
Obviously meets the Dragons criteria being Cheap, gained zero coaching success, nil demand and a former player.
Probably Mary seeking advice from his mentors in Sticky Stuart & Lozza.

St Georgio

Juniors
It's surprising to see Craig Fitzgibbon and JD considered so highly when neither have not gone over to ESL, To me both are still very green.
To me it's no Brainer to give Shaun Wane a go since the great men who run game are not willing to lift Flannos Ban.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
JD has won every possible cup in the lower grades and with the Saints which makes it a bonus. Now been assistant to Bennett which will only make him better. Agree Fitzgibbon has done nothing but assistant. But he is assistant to the best NRL coach.

St Georgio

Juniors
JD has won every possible cup in the lower grades and with the Saints which makes it a bonus. Now been assistant to Bennett which will only make him better. Agree Fitzgibbon has done nothing but assistant. But he is assistant to the best NRL coach.
I just believe both need to complete a final mission and that is to go over and conquer the ESL before even given an opportunity, the Dragons have already given two Rookies a go, I believe giving JD or Craig Fitzgibbon is exactly the same insane gambling move, I believe a fresh approach is the wane to go.

BLM01

First Grade
Just read on Fox sports that Simon Woolford will return from the UK as head coach of Huddersfield to take up an assistant coaching role with the RedV.
Obviously meets the Dragons criteria being Cheap, gained zero coaching success, nil demand and a former player.
Probably Mary seeking advice from his mentors in Sticky Stuart & Lozza.
Really. Does not necessarily make me want to raise the champagne glass.
FMD..what other non success can we find with our global search.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Really. Does not necessarily make me want to raise the champagne glass.
FMD..what other non success can we find with our global search.
It will be bottom of the barrel type coaching assistants only whilst Mary remains in charge & Dean Young floating around next in the pecking order!
FMD it will take a miracle or a revolution to right this club back to the top.

E
It's surprising to see Craig Fitzgibbon and JD considered so highly when neither have not gone over to ESL, To me both are still very green.
To me it's no Brainer to give Shaun Wane a go since the great men who run game are not willing to lift Flannos Ban.
ESL standard is well below NRL.
Both Fitzgibbon and Demetriou in particular would be fabulous solutions for our perpetual disaster at St. George

SaintPauli

Juniors
To me it seems as though the old boys have Dean Young as the preferred next coach. Mary to go early next season and replaced with an interim coach in Dean Young. Then Dean Young gets a 3 year deal just as Dad has been working for for the past 3 years.
Dean Young should go to ESL and earn his trade. I have had it with internal favours at expense of long term fans copping this BS abuse and favouritism.
In order
Flanno 1 for 2021
Wane 2 if Nrl wont register Flanno.

If Mary gets sacked by round 10 "likely"
then interim coach is just that, irrespective of results unless we kill it
And make top 2!

St Georgio

Juniors
E

ESL standard is well below NRL.
Both Fitzgibbon and Demetriou in particular would be fabulous solutions for our perpetual disaster at St. George

I Agree partly, overall the NRL is stronger, but the overall pressure for these coaches to bring results is no different, clubs like Wigan and St Helens demand success similar to us here.
Take Trent Robinson as Example-
He was assistant coach with the Newcastle Knights for 3 years before seeking a release to join Brian Smith at Sydney Roosters. Robinson was the assistant coach in charge of defence in the Roosters' run to the Grand Final in 2010.
He then went to the Catalan Dragons-
2011–12 Catalans Dragons 63 37 1 25 59
2013– Sydney Roosters 185 120 0 65 65
Total 248 157 1 90 63.
Unfortunately it seems McGregor will Continue to be Head coach for at another Year, if I was Shaun Wane I would seek a Short term contract to be an assistant with Manly under Des Hasler, just to get an Idea of what is expected of a Top NRL coach!

Last edited:

possm

Coach
It will be bottom of the barrel type coaching assistants only whilst Mary remains in charge & Dean Young floating around next in the pecking order!
FMD it will take a miracle or a revolution to right this club back to the top.
It will just take about 20m to buy SGI.

Walpole

Juniors
I Agree partly, overall the NRL is stronger, but the overall pressure for these coaches to bring results is no different, clubs like Wigan and St Helens demand success similar to us here.
Take Trent Robinson as Example-
He was assistant coach with the Newcastle Knights for 3 years before seeking a release to join Brian Smith at Sydney Roosters. Robinson was the assistant coach in charge of defence in the Roosters' run to the Grand Final in 2010.
He then went to the Catalan Dragons-
2011–12 Catalans Dragons 63 37 1 25 59
2013– Sydney Roosters 185 120 0 65 65
Total 248 157 1 90 63.
Unfortunately it seems McGregor will Continue to be Head coach for at another Year, if I was Shaun Wane I would seek a Short term contract to be an assistant with Manly under Des Hasler, just to get an Idea of what is expected of a Top NRL coach!
No need for Wane to do any sort of apprenticeship in the NRL - he was Michael Maguires assistant at Wigan for 3 years before taking their top job. He then won 3 SL premierships, a Challenge Cup and the World Club Challenge over the Sharks with a win percentage over eights seasons of 68%.

If anything, he's over qualified to coach our rabble.