What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons to swoop for local junior Cronulla’s Jack Bird

ONPOINT

Juniors
Disagree Minh. Aitken is going to be a good player but at this time there is just better options ahead of him and lafai ceiling point is a lot higher then Aitkens. Lafai 2014 season he was the best centre in the comp.

Bird would be a great signing. Personally I don't think he'll win the dragons a comp at 5/8 but could see him doing very well at full back or centre. In saying that though I'd much prefer Roberts in the FB role.

The Nick

Bench
Aitken is a centre and will only get better, we have to find a spot in the team for him whether it be at centre or even on the wing.

Correction: He is going to have to EARN a spot in the team. He's got a big pre-season and trials ahead of him. There's a lot of competition for spots.

Dragon66

Juniors
Correction: He is going to have to EARN a spot in the team. He's got a big pre-season and trials ahead of him. There's a lot of competition for spots.

On this point I agree. But to label him as only a centre is very disingenuous.

Ben Creagh started his career as a winger. Does that mean that Ben Creagh is still only a winger?

Nick, this is not directed at you but those that choose to shoe horn players as if they are incapable of excelling in another position.

Minh

First Grade

There is a lot of competition and its good, especially if we sign Roberts, he would be battling Mann and Mata Utia for one FG spot. The point Im making is I hope he doesnt get squeezed out as I rate him highly.

The Nick

Bench
There is a lot of competition and its good, especially if we sign Roberts, he would be battling Mann and Mata Utia for one FG spot. The point Im making is I hope he doesnt get squeezed out as I rate him highly.

I hope so too but the reality of the situation is he may have to be prepared to bide his time in the Cutters in the short term.

But as a 19 year old he potentially has the most improvement in him over this off season.

Bring on 2016.

getsmarty

Immortal
Rothfield saying that its swinging back sharks way.

P.S Ironic considering how he was blowing up and saying that the sharks should pull out of the deal last weekend.

Last edited:

Wittenberg

Juniors
Aitken the shinning light of 2015, the player that proved Price's approach wrong is now little more than an average centre to some. Boy revisionism is alive and well.

The Nick

Bench
Aitken the shinning light of 2015, the player that proved Price's approach wrong is now little more than an average centre to some. Boy revisionism is alive and well.

What an exaggeration. I know we've been very slow at blooding juniors since Brown left but to call Aitken "the shining light of 2015" is a load of horseshit.

He had a solid debut season in 2015, nothing more nothing less.

Fact remains if we were to pick our top side from our current 2016 squad (based on 2015 form) Aitken would be VERY lucky to find himself in the 17, regardless of which junior catchment area he comes from.

Old Timer

Coach
What an exaggeration. I know we've been very slow at blooding juniors since Brown left but to call Aitken "the shining light of 2015" is a load of horseshit.

He had a solid debut season in 2015, nothing more nothing less.

Fact remains if we were to pick our top side from our current 2016 squad (based on 2015 form) Aitken would be VERY lucky to find himself in the 17, regardless of which junior catchment area he comes from.

From the statement above based on your 2015 form requisite the only competition Aitken has is Mann.

None of the other back signings have anymore credible form than Aitken who played the whole year in the top grade. Solid yes, brilliant no but none the less on form he would have to be part of the team under your criteria.

Anyone who throws Lafai into the argument best read all the earlier posts offering the reasons behind his below expectation 2015 efforts.

So the position filled by Farrell / Hunt in 2015 is the one in question and Mann would get that so how does he not fit into the equation based on your criteria?

Dugan, Matautai, Aitken, Mann, Nightingale and if you want Dugan in the centres then swap him with Mann.

Contenders Fai Fai Loa, Miilne, Glimin, Quinlan

Minh

First Grade
I hope so too but the reality of the situation is he may have to be prepared to bide his time in the Cutters in the short term.

But as a 19 year old he potentially has the most improvement in him over this off season.

Bring on 2016.

Good points bring on 2016, not many 19 year olds handle first year FG as well as Aitken did and he has potential to improve and the ceiling is quite high.

Minh

First Grade
Disagree Minh. Aitken is going to be a good player but at this time there is just better options ahead of him and lafai ceiling point is a lot higher then Aitkens. Lafai 2014 season he was the best centre in the comp.

Bird would be a great signing. Personally I don't think he'll win the dragons a comp at 5/8 but could see him doing very well at full back or centre. In saying that though I'd much prefer Roberts in the FB role.

If we end up signing Roberts then clearly at this stage in his career Aitken will be behind both Lafai and Roberts and we must remember he is still only 19 Aitken. Watching him play in his first season he didnt look out of place and has class about him as well as very solid defense for such a young player, he'll get better and better and if we lost a player like him, it'll come back to bite us, he'll be a very good player in short time.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
This thread will close tomorrow as Roberts will announce Bronco signing followed closely by Bird resigning with sharkies.We have all but finished our recruiting for the year so bring in on.

bottle

Coach
This thread will close tomorrow as Roberts will announce Bronco signing followed closely by Bird resigning with sharkies.We have all but finished our recruiting for the year so bring in on.

Didn't you tell us we wouldn't sign Lafai?
I think you're a glass 3/4 empty guy Forster. Why so glum?

Latest posts