What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons V Sharks Round 4

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I feel confident going into this game. This is definitely a 50/50 game in my eyes, I think we have the better pack while their spine has performed better. If we can get over the top of their pack, we'll create enough chances for the likes of Hunt, Sloan & Sullivan to score points. Even if Hynes comes back, it'll be his first game of the season on a problematic calf. We should be confident going into this match.

Kick pressure & our kick chase needs to be spot on, the back 3 of Cronulla are very good with their returns. It's been shocking 10mins periods throughout both game which have been problematic. We'll win if we get a consistent 80min performance.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
I would be tempted to bring in JDB if he's fit for M.Molo. I think mbye needs another week in the team in case of injuries to sullivan or liddle. If JDB doesn't return or Mbye isn't selected I wouldn't be unhappy either.

I want to see Suli getting more ball, he's an absolute weapon for us. He should be encouraged to go hunting for the ball if it's not coming to him. Swap with lomax for a set or two in attack, so you get a fresher player targeting their half.

blacksafake

First Grade
I feel confident going into this game. This is definitely a 50/50 game in my eyes, I think we have the better pack while their spine has performed better. If we can get over the top of their pack, we'll create enough chances for the likes of Hunt, Sloan & Sullivan to score points. Even if Hynes comes back, it'll be his first game of the season on a problematic calf. We should be confident going into this match.

Kick pressure & our kick chase needs to be spot on, the back 3 of Cronulla are very good with their returns. It's been shocking 10mins periods throughout both game which have been problematic. We'll win if we get a consistent 80min performance.
Not sure about our pack being better.
Their big boppers always create good go forward & Nikora is a terrific player.

Without being captain obvious we need to match them in the middle, run at Moylan constantly, Rudolf too as he does struggle when having to do multiple tackles which Liddle should be able to capitalise on with Sloan in support & kick to the corners with a good chase.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I see that people are pushing for Jr to be the #14 and replacement hooker.

Whilst i understand the concept, and no doubt he would add something to our attack.

However,

Defensively, and everyone has to agree, that the hooker has to make tackles, and those tackles have to stick. This is where the notion of Jr to 9 during a game falls flat on its face. His defense is, well, ugly. One only has to read his stats from the weekends loss to the Knights in KC, where he missed 5 tackles, with 2 ineffective. This wouldn't translate well to playing 9 in first grade.

If we are looking to punt Mbye, whenever that maybe, I think the obvious answer would be to bring in CM or the more experienced Turner.

If I remember correctly, Connor was used as a half during 1 of the trials. This 'experiment' may have foreshadowed their plan for him. A hooker who can play a little in the halves if required.

Turner is more versatile, and can play multiple positions in the 'spine'.

For Jr to force his way back into the first grade team, he would need to improve his defense before even being considered for selection. I am aware Bud, is no tackling machine either, but reality is, would Jr improve the team substantially enough to usurp Bud? At this present time I can't see that.

Lastly, the chances of Hook, hooking Mbye are slim in any case, so for a while we'll have to just bear with that on every Tuesday's team list.

Victoire

Juniors
I forgot about Turner lol. He did play a bit of bench hooker for the Titans last year and tbh it wasn't flash. He's really a similar type to Mbye isn't he. A halves player filling a spot.

Muhleisen is a hooker, and I think he played some lock in junior days, so he's a good defender. We need that in the middle because it got very loose there. No idea how he's been going in reserve grade though

justadragon

Bench
I forgot about Turner lol. He did play a bit of bench hooker for the Titans last year and tbh it wasn't flash. He's really a similar type to Mbye isn't he. A halves player filling a spot.

Muhleisen is a hooker, and I think he played some lock in junior days, so he's a good defender. We need that in the middle because it got very loose there. No idea how he's been going in reserve grade though
Poorly like the rest of the team, that is really our problem, we have a very average to poor KOE side, so atm whoever you get from there is going to struggle in the NRL, and we have had this for a few years now, who is the coach of that side, 2 extremely poor efforts in the opening 2 rounds.

This Year?

Immortal
I would be tempted to bring in JDB if he's fit for M.Molo. I think mbye needs another week in the team in case of injuries to sullivan or liddle. If JDB doesn't return or Mbye isn't selected I wouldn't be unhappy either.

I want to see Suli getting more ball, he's an absolute weapon for us. He should be encouraged to go hunting for the ball if it's not coming to him. Swap with lomax for a set or two in attack, so you get a fresher player targeting their half.
Suli on the right edge should absolutely destroy Moylan. Surely they'd have a variation that gets Rava over Mulitano too. Sullivan could thread the needle.

Illusion

Bench
Not sure about our pack being better.
Their big boppers always create good go forward & Nikora is a terrific player.

Without being captain obvious we need to match them in the middle, run at Moylan constantly, Rudolf too as he does struggle when having to do multiple tackles which Liddle should be able to capitalise on with Sloan in support & kick to the corners with a good chase.
As you say kick towards the corners , better option as Hunts bombs are useless he just gives the opposition the ball back .......

Victoire

Juniors
Suli on the right edge should absolutely destroy Moylan.
The Sloan and Sullivan tries v the Broncos have to be a blueprint for how we can get points against the Sharks: long pass from Liddle to Hunt, long pass from Hunt to Sullivan. Expansive to isolate Ezra Mam. Both times off quick play the balls about 5m left of the upright

In the Sloan try Sua got to Mam, sucked a defender in and popped a beautiful offload to Tyrell
In Bud's try, Sua came inside which attracted the backrower (Capewell) and allowed Bud to take on Mam solo

Mam's a much better defender than Moylan too, the Bunnies with Koloamatangi went through him comfortably in round 1

SnowDragon

Juniors
I see that people are pushing for Jr to be the #14 and replacement hooker.

Whilst i understand the concept, and no doubt he would add something to our attack.

However,

Defensively, and everyone has to agree, that the hooker has to make tackles, and those tackles have to stick. This is where the notion of Jr to 9 during a game falls flat on its face. His defense is, well, ugly. One only has to read his stats from the weekends loss to the Knights in KC, where he missed 5 tackles, with 2 ineffective. This wouldn't translate well to playing 9 in first grade.

If we are looking to punt Mbye, whenever that maybe, I think the obvious answer would be to bring in CM or the more experienced Turner.

If I remember correctly, Connor was used as a half during 1 of the trials. This 'experiment' may have foreshadowed their plan for him. A hooker who can play a little in the halves if required.

Turner is more versatile, and can play multiple positions in the 'spine'.

For Jr to force his way back into the first grade team, he would need to improve his defense before even being considered for selection. I am aware Bud, is no tackling machine either, but reality is, would Jr improve the team substantially enough to usurp Bud? At this present time I can't see that.

Lastly, the chances of Hook, hooking Mbye are slim in any case, so for a while we'll have to just bear with that on every Tuesday's team list.
Yeah, I highlighted the defence issue myself, so can’t argue.

BUT, how much do we really loose in defence over Mbye?
AND how much do we gain in offence?
And (the big point) do we want to develop junior? for origin? Injuries? The future?

CM, Turner and even Finau? (not top 30 right) could all be thought of the same.

contemplating the issue, if junior had the charges dismissed tomorrow, I’d definitely put him in to replace Mbye, so that means the charges are the wild card I’m Worried about.

Dragon David

First Grade
Poorly like the rest of the team, that is really our problem, we have a very average to poor KOE side, so atm whoever you get from there is going to struggle in the NRL, and we have had this for a few years now, who is the coach of that side, 2 extremely poor efforts in the opening 2 rounds.
The KOE Cup coach is Bronx Goodwin - doesn't look like he is much chop just like Aitken last year and we still have Aitken in some capacity at the club - what for?

Dragon David

First Grade
Dragons team: 1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Jayden Sullivan 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Moses Mbye 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Ben Murdoch-Masila 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack Bird 14. Jacob Liddle 15. Zane Musgrove 16. Toby Couchman 17. Josh Kerr 18. Michael Molo 19. Max Feagai 20. Jaiyden Hunt 21. Talatau Amone 22. Aaron Woods

Team list v Sharks.

Couchman in and M Molo 18th man. JDB still on the sidelines.

Parko1310

Juniors
I’m starting to wonder if JDB’s calf injury is a smokescreen for something else. It seems an awfully imprecise recovery.
Shades of Nathan Long.
Calf injuries are week-to-week injuries. They probably could play him, but if there's a slight twinge in the calf they probably feel there's no point playing him until its absolutely 100% ready to go. Considering Couchman can play a similar role in the team as well, I'd agree there isn't much point playing de belin this early in the season if he's not right to go. Who do you drop from the team for de belin is another consideration. Kerr and Musgrove have played extremely well thus far and are very different players to de Belin. Couchman, even though he's only played once has shown he can do a job. Liddle isn't worth risking playing 80 just yet, so if you were to drop Mbye it would be for another hooking option.

RedVDave

First Grade
Needle Hynes back hopefully he's very rusty, if we are any chance of winning need to improve our defence massively!