What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRAGONS: Was it a sporting fluke?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, I wouldn't suggest that Finch is corrupt. I will suggest he ordered a different rule interpretation for the grand final in order to let the game "flow". This explains many decisions being "let go" that would have otherwise been pulled up in any other game. It was purely a coincidence that these decisions slaughtered any chances the roosters had.

To be kind, I think you're reading too much into it.

To be less kind, I think you're a paranoid fool.

You'll grow out of it.

It's just a phase in the game

A team only able to win due to dodgy referee decisions & interpretations will not last very long in this day and age. We saw what their borefest style did to the TV ratings... the NRL would not want this to happen again

Finch is gone now and hopefully things will be cleared up. He was an absolute stain on the league, but I'm sure the comp can bounce back.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol

I wouldn't worry, it's just Stain Choke fans in denial.
We didn't choke. Who's in denial? :lol:
Raiders_Premiers said:
I'm sure they know deep down

Their premiership is as credible as Melbourne's in 2007 & 2009
Are you suggesting that the St George Illawarra Dragons have engaged in illegal activities?

Put it up or admit that you have nfi.

natheel

Coach
Dear dragons fans,

Don't let this troll get to ya just take solace in the fact your team won the comp the first time in their time as a joint venture!

dice

Juniors
"well, back in round 23 Bill Harrigan came up with the video refereeing blunder of the year... and I think he has equalled that performance with that try right there... it has been that sort of afternoon with the Dragons having scored 3 of 4 tries in very controversial circumstances."

Warren Smith

To the moderator who deleted my post last time. This is not made up. It is word for word what was said by Warren Smith during the Foxtel commentary at precisely 62:12 on the game clock.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So what? Warren Smith is just a commentator. He makes a sensation out of ordinary things and has an anti-Saints approach to his job for at least 10 years.

What's your point?

dice

Juniors
If anyone disagrees with you they are either deluded opposition fans or anti Saints. Daley and Alexander agreed with Smith. Admittedly Daley although pro-Saints is just dumb, but Alexander is probably the most objective commentator for any channel.

Wok also called the refereeing a disgrace. Is he anti-Saints as well?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If anyone disagrees with you they are either deluded opposition fans or anti Saints. Daley and Alexander agreed with Smith. Admittedly Daley although pro-Saints is just dumb, but Alexander is probably the most objective commentator for any channel.

Wok also called the refereeing a disgrace. Is he anti-Saints as well?
lol. Daley stopped being pro Saints some time ago.

I'm trying to help you here dice.

No one is saying the refereeing is the grand final was great. It was indeed a disgrace at times. But it evened out, and thankfully had no bearing on the outcome.

The Fox commentary was shocking. And they seem to have influenced your opinion.

You need to think for yourself.

Again, what's your point?

dice

Juniors
It evened out? I don't recall Roosters scoring 3 tries they weren't entitled to. I recall Roosters having a try disallowed at a very critical point in the game for a marginal forward pass.

I am thinking for myself. Some shocking decisions being ruled correctly and the game looks very different with Roosters well in front and the reverse happening with Saints having to take all the risks instead of the roosters.

Anyone who thinks the refereeing cannot decide a game or a premiership is seriously naive or deluded.

Last edited:

Dragon

Coach
the refs dont miss tackles, throw passes over the sideline, throw forward passes... just take your medicine like a good little girl dice

Southernsaint

Staff member
It evened out? I don't recall Roosters scoring 3 tries they weren't entitled to. I recall Roosters having a try disallowed at a very critical point in the game for a marginal forward pass.

I am thinking for myself. Some shocking decisions being ruled correctly and the game looks very different with Roosters well in front and the reverse happening with Saints having to take all the risks instead of the roosters.

Anyone who thinks the refereeing cannot decide a game or a premiership is seriously naive or deluded.

Isn't a pass that's "marginally" forward still forward??

Hetherington to Halligan in the SE corner at Jubilee in 1998 was more than "marginally" forward and not called back ;-)

Southernsaint

Staff member

Isn't a pass that's "marginally" forward still forward??

Hetherington to Halligan in the SE corner at Jubilee in 1998 was more than "marginally" forward and not called back ;-)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So dice, in the absence of an answer to my question, I'll assume that you're blaming the ref. Using commentaryspeak to back up your theory... clutching and reaching.
It evened out?
Yes, it evened out.

You need to accept the result.

Roosters missed 31 tackles, key players went missing and they conceded 26-0 in the second half.

Roosters lost 32-8. Saints are the minor premiers and the comp's most consistent team in 2010.

The death-riders were boldly calling that we'd 'choke' - that we had the stats on the board but didn't have the balls mentally to win the biggest game of the year.

Well.. to quote Ben Hornby, "We are here!"

And it is the bitter death-riders who are showing the mental ineptitude to deal with the result.

We beat all the knockers, in every area and in every corner... and it's eating you up.

Jono1987

Juniors
It's just a phase in the game

A team only able to win due to dodgy referee decisions & interpretations will not last very long in this day and age. We saw what their borefest style did to the TV ratings... the NRL would not want this to happen again

Finch is gone now and hopefully things will be cleared up. He was an absolute stain on the league, but I'm sure the comp can bounce back.

You obviously understand nothing about TV ratings. That does not surprise me in the slightest. But hey if your team could actually make a Grand Final (those years are starting to build up aye?) I'd love to see the TV ratings. You on the hand would not. In any case your delusion levels have gone from frustrating to hilarious...keeps me entertained at work.

taxidriver

Coach
dice - both sides got favourable calls

Saints took advantage of theirs, Roosters didn't.

that's the difference between being the real thing and falling short.

no fluke about it.

quite simple really

Rocket

Juniors
So everyone was saying how unbearable Dragons fans would be if we won the GF. Well it's threads like this that will ensure otherwise reasonable Saints supporters will start becoming more in the face of opposition supporters.

We won the minor premiership two years running. Yes the refereeing in the GF was ordinary, but both sides had bad decisions. We put on a lot of points when nearly everyone said we'd struggle to post more than two tries. 26 of these in torrential rain! Carney missed goals when Soward was nailing them from out wide. We were the better team on the day. We WON!

Oh and RAIDERS_NOT_PREMIERS maybe you should go help Dugan with kicking practice from in front of the posts if you want your team to have a chance of being involved in the grand final next year.

trudge

Bench
Heighington feeding a scrum in the final minute.

Behahaha...

What's no fluke is you can't score 26-0 in a second half to put teams away.

2010Dragons

Bench
Buddy Buddy Buddy,

Mate your are turning green with ENVY. :crazy:
I have a few spare RED PREMIERS SHIRTS. ( I'm happy to send you one)
All you have to do is support a team who wins the premiership.
To all the other people who have turned green with ENVY. :crazy:
support MY team who knows how to choke your team GREEN

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Still trying to work out Dice's claim that Easts were ripped off because they were pulled back for pass was only 'a little bit' forward.

"I recall Roosters having a try disallowed at a very critical point in the game for a marginal forward pass."
- Dice