What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drugs use and criminal influence in Australian sport

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/02/22/actovegin-good-sinister-or-just-a-sham/

Sport superstars call it a miracle healer; scientists call it a sham, Western medicine’s version of the tiger penis. Governments have banned it, and anti-doping organisations don’t know what to make of it.
Its name is Actovegin. And it’s causing some problems.
When Usain Bolt failed to turn up at the Camperdown Classic in Kingston last Saturday everyone thought the worst: he’s injured.
The UK’s Daily Mail reported that he’d been seen in Munich visiting a German doctor with a name Frankenstein author Mary Shelley would have admired: Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt.
What was Bolt doing there? Was he receiving infrared heat treatment on his troublesome back? Ultrasound on a dodgy leg? Did he have Gatorade G Series poisoning?
No, according to his agent he was just getting a “check up”. That is to say, he was being filled with holes by a soft-tissue physician whose modus operandi is to administer multiple injections of extract of calf blood and cockerel crest.
Dr Muller-Wohlfahrt (no, he doesn’t treat flatulence in wild dogs) is a “well preserved” 69-year-old physician with longish black hair who operates out of an 800-year-old Gothic castle.
In an interview with ESPN in December the doctor described his treatments and his major medicament, Actovegin.
Actovegin is an amino acid-rich concoction obtained from the blood of veal calves and contains, among others things, the natural lubricant thyaluronan sucked from the combs of dead roosters. It is injected directly into the damaged tissue along with “a mixture of homoeopathic substances”.
The treatment is said to reduce the recovery period of hamstring tears by up to 70 percent.
The doctor’s patients, mainly sporting legends like Ronaldo and Bolt, swear by the treatment. They certainly swear during it as it can involve receiving hundreds of injections.
The Australian public first heard about the dear doctor when Geelong defender Max Rooke was sent to Munich and successfully treated for a severe hamstring injury prior to the 2007 AFL finals.
At least one other club had previously investigated the possibility of using the doctor without attracting the ridicule of the public, or the attention of the AFL and oppostion teams.
In 2001 Essendon skipper James Hird spent six hours in Muller-Wohlfahrt’s waiting room for news about the miracle treatment. The following year Hird would have more pressing medical concerns, like getting his face reconstructed after falling onto a teammate’s knee.
NRL premiers Manly were allegedly injecting the calf-blood extract themselves in 2008.
The US government, though, wants nothing to do with the magic elixir, and has banned its use, sale and importation.
In 2000 the IOC became suspicious when the substance kept popping up in cyclists’ kit bags and banned it, before unbanning the following year because there was no proof it could enhance performance.
WADA has not placed Actovegin on its prohibited list but investigations into its possible use as a performance enhancer are continuing. It is forbidden, however, to take it intravenously as per WADA’s prohibited methods: “Intravenous infusions and/or injections of more than 50 mL per six-hour period are prohibited except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions or clinical investigations.”
The problem is that there’s no definitive data explaining how it works. No one, including the doctor himself, appears to know what it does exactly.
There are suggestions it “improves absorption of glucose and oxygen uptake in tissues”, “enhances aerobic oxidisation in mammals”, and it was mentioned somewhere that it “improved oxygen transport” which all sound suspiciously like the sort of things an increase in red blood cells does – accomplished through blood transfusions and the use of EPO.
If WADA can’t work it out, I’ve got no hope.
Muller-Wohlfahrt’s favourite words are “homeopathic substances” and “stimulate”. For a doctor, his description of the Actovegin treatment is severely lacking in scientific detail but also – with the assistance of a strong Teutonic accent – chock full of uncomfortable connotations: “I go into the body and bring in homoeopathic substances to stimulate the metabolism, or the regeneration”.
I wonder if the manufacturer of Actovegin wants an eccentric figure like Muller-Wohlfahrt promoting the use of its product. He states he doesn’t use painkillers or chemical substances, “only homeopathic substances,” but there on the surgical tray sits a big bottle of mepivacaine, an anaesthetic.
”The first set of needles is an anaesthetic, so the patient doesn’t cry,” he says, giggling.
To his credit he admits the scientific proof is not yet there (he obviously doesn’t have the desire, energy or capability to find it) and that his strengths lie in the readiness to listen to patients, his injecting technique and his “instinct.”
He seems a genuinely nice chap and has the confidence of some of the world’s best athletes who would know a good treatment when it enters them.
Also, he has been a team doctor for the football giant Bayern Munich for over 30 years.
Apparently none of his patients have been harmed as a result of his treatment, unless there’s a bath of sulphuric acid in the basement containing a couple of sprinters we’ve forgotten about.
He has been transparent with his procedures, up to a point. Certainly he has allowed journalists to witness him turning athletes into flesh colanders. It’s the identification of his “homoeopathic substances” – the source of his reputation and wealth – that he keeps secret.
It is the mixing of performance enhancers and masking agents with Actovegin that worries the IOC and WADA. Actovegin was found in the satchels dumped by Lance Armstrong’s US Postal physician during the 2000 Tour. Well known doping cyclists Jesus Manzano and Joseph Papp said they were regularly injected with a cocktail of drugs that included Actovegin.
As a lone supplement Papp believed it was useless but kept taking it “because of the warped mentality of the doper that dictates trying just about anything he thinks might improve performance.”
If the stuff truly is a healing medicine then it’s a miracle for those who suffer chronic injuries and hamstring tears.
And with a trail of calf and cockerel carcasses leading straight to him, Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt may have to worry about animal rights groups before he worries about WADA.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Here is a link to what the report is "alleged" to have found. So far 5 things found are not on the banned list. Thats Actovigen & 2 types of growth hormone variants & 2 types of peptides.
Alos take not ofthe above video screen shot. Left is Clare Right is lundy & centre is Andruska, whos mob get half a million a year from the NRL to find drug cheats, but doesnt, then when somebody else tells them who is " allegedly" cheating, claim it as their victory.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-07/explainer-performance-enhancing-substances/4506126

fizman

Bench
And I still stand by my comments Craigshark. As others have alluded to there is much speculation without substance. I don't know if we are considered as one of the six clubs simply because no factual allegations have been made.

What I do know is that the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks have not been involved with performance enhancing substances.

jc155776

Coach
I don't think we were involved at a club level. We couldn't afford the good shit like that.

On a player level though who knows, people desperate enough will try desperate things.

The report is a farce, name names, name clubs, let them come out and defend themselves.

Craigshark

First Grade
And I still stand by my comments Craigshark. As others have alluded to there is much speculation without substance. I don't know if we are considered as one of the six clubs simply because no factual allegations have been made.

What I do know is that the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks have not been involved with performance enhancing substances.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't doubting you. I'm just the type that needs reassuring ;)

Windy70

Juniors
That was inevitable. Good info on the drugs involved Reef.

When you sit back and put yourself in the player's shoes you can see it as a possibility. Hard to throw a club into the mix. Surely someone would step forward.

Sad times, and will hurt many I think. Some will deserve it, some won't.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
AUSTRALIA'S top crime fighting agency has defended itself against allegations of grandstanding after rocking the nation with an intelligence report exposing organised crime links and drug use in the country's favourite sports.
The Australian Crime Commission's chief executive John Lawler hit back on Saturday at critics to clear up ''confusion'' as to why he did not name names, given the explosive nature of the allegations.
Mr Lawler said classified strategic assessments had been sent to all police agencies around the country and Commonwealth agencies, which were now responsible for pursuing action.
''Very detailed information, the names of the clubs, the names of all the persons, the details of how, when and why and where, based on the intelligence, the persons suspected, has been provided to the anti-doping agency ASADA and to the police. Particularly the NSW and Victorian police,'' he told Fairfax Media.
Advertisement
Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare echoed Mr Lawler's comments as a number of sporting identities and commentators questioned the investigation and motives behind the report's release along with its veracity.
The concerted defence came as revelations of drug taking in sport at senior levels continued, with veteran boxer Dean Waters revealing he had seen fighters dope themselves on multiple occasions.
And the high level of use of performance enhancing drugs has been shown by record seizures of performance enhancing drugs by Customs and Border Protection, a trend that was the catalyst for the ACC investigation.
Statistics show cargo and post seizures of drugs including peptides rose from 2493 in 2009-10 to 8314 in 2011-12.
Mr Lawler said secrecy provisions, legislation and ongoing operational concerns prevented the ACC from naming and shaming the corrupt sporting teams, players and managers.
''We got very good co-operation from the [sporting] codes. They got classified briefings, so they know the clubs, who is involved. But under our legislation they are not allowed to disclose that to the clubs,'' he said.
''I am working with the codes to see if we can find a way through the legal framework so that they could disclose which clubs are actually implicated but those discussions are ongoing.''
Mr Lawler said one ACC investigation was into match fixing but would not comment on claims it was an A-League football match between Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United last December that resulted in $49 million placed with a Hong Kong bookmaker.
But the Football Federation Australian has said no match was under investigation.
A spokesman for the NSW Police Force confirmed it had worked with the ACC on a specific allegation of illicit drug use, but no charges were laid and the investigation had been suspended.
The NSW Police are not investigating any match fixing allegations.
A Customs spokesman attributed the sharp increases to an explosion of online shopping in recent years. Furthermore, many offenders were unaware they were buying a supplement that contained a banned substance.
''The easy access to these substances over the internet make people believe that it is legally acceptable in Australia,'' the spokesman said, adding the use of performance enhancing drugs had spread from body builders and elite athletes to the broader market.
One US-based distributor, Pure Peptides, which also supplies HGH, claims to have received more than 10,000 orders from Australia over the past year.
Law enforcement agencies and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority have also failed to stem the proliferation of anti-ageing clinics that promise the fountain of youth by openly prescribing drugs such as HGH.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/top-...-at-critics-20130209-2e58b.html#ixzz2KUDaB0tj

coolumsharkie

Referee
N ot jsut yet Coolumn.
have a look at the timing of all this from the very top. First today that pathetci excuse for a prime minister calls the same, then one by one down the line the labor lackies follow suit.
Make no mistake, all of this is shaping up to be a labor political stunt.
I am with Wayne bennet on this who seems to have a good grasp on things. There wont be one criminal conviction.

I agree 100%

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Joh Lawler is the head of the ACC & was a kevin rudd appointment.
Here is an opinion assesment of this organisation.

The Power Index: law enforcers, John Lawler at #9
by Matthew Knott
Uncategorized
John Lawler runs an organisation with extraordinary powers, but he’s not an extraordinarily powerful man. Lawler’s critics say the silver-haired Australian Federal Police veteran has fallen short of expectations since taking the reins at the Australian Crime Commission two and a half years ago.

“John Lawler does some good things but he’s part of what I regard as the white-shirt brigade,” says investigative journalist Bob Bottom, who is widely regarded as one of Australia’s leading authorities on organised crime. “The ACC has been reduced to an intelligence agency, not an investigating agency. That’s not acceptable. I’m very critical of how it’s going at the moment.”

The ACC — created in 2002 to tackle “nationally significant” crimes such as terrorism, money laundering and drug trafficking — is regularly labelled the country’s most powerful crime-fighting agency. Unlike traditional police officers, its agents can force witnesses to give evidence and ban them from revealing to anyone but their lawyer that they were questioned.

“If your client is in front of the ACC, you are shit scared,” said Australian Lawyers Alliance president Greg Barns.

But many believe the crims aren’t nearly scared enough.

A former senior AFP officer, who asked not to be named, said: “Lawler has overseen a decline in the commission’s capabilities when it is struggling for resources and not well regarded by other law-enforcement agencies. It’s had a notable lack of success over recent years in terms of arrests.”

Bob Bottom — who has been involved in 18 official inquiries into organised crime — says the downgrading of the ACC began before Lawler took over but has accelerated under his leadership.

The commission charged only 102 people last year, down from 184 in 2008-2009 and 201 the year before. And despite rebranding itself last year as a “criminal intelligence agency” rather than as a “criminal intelligence and investigation agency”, there’s no hard evidence that the ACC’s intelligence performance has improved. The commission’s latest annual report leaves out the crucial figure of how many “intelligence disseminations” it delivered to its partner agencies. Bob Bottom’s analysis of the report puts the figure at about 4000, down 33% on the year before.

“I think it [the ACC] has been a failure,” former NSW police detective Tim Priest told The Power Index. “You don’t hear about what they do — and if they were having successes, you’d know because they’d be blowing their trumpet. They’re not nearly as successful as they should be.”

John Lawler has previously defended his focus on intelligence gathering, saying that the ACC plays a crucial role in helping state police and the AFP work together to make arrests.

There have been some big successes under his watch — most notably Operation Hoffman, one of the biggest investigations into organised crime in Australian history. The operation — led by the ACC in co-operation with NSW police, the AFP and anti-money-laundering agency Austrac — uncovered connections between bikie gangs, Chinese triads and corrupt maritime officials, and led to major ecstasy, heroin and crystal methamphetamine busts last year.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/09/27/the-power-index-law-enforcers-john-lawler-at-9/

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely

Post Whore
NRL clubs are expected to be told by Tuesday whether they have players under the microscope accused of doping.
Auditors have already been sent to Manly, Cronulla, Penrith and Newcastle, leading to speculation they are among the clubs being investigated. There are rumours that at least one big-name player is bracing himself being targeted as a result of the ACC report.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...transformed-20130211-2e7z6.html#ixzz2KZ8KFbQc

Generalzod

Immortal
Who's idea was it again to make Andrew Jones an immortal, The NRL have got themselves to blame.

Last edited:

Latest posts